Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

First, CaseySJ... Thank you very much for all of the hard work that went into this guide!!! This is my 3rd time through the guide, first 2 were me not reading carefully enough and its up and running well. One question, on the Inject Audio Layout 16, I can't seem to figure out where to add the lines to the config.plist. Where is <key>properties</key>? Should it be part of or under <key>Audio</key>?

does the bluetooth and airdrop stuff work out of the box on this motherboard or do we need to get something for bluetooth and wifi? I tried to look around the thread I feel like the wifi doesn't work but I'm still not sure about the bluetooth

CaseySJ said:
  • You have 4 DIMMs, each 8GB, but only Bank 0 and Bank 1 are showing?
  • Are all 4 DIMMs the same make and model?
  • If you swap the DIMMs from A1/B1 to A2/B2 and vice-versa, which ones show up?
  • How did you fix the memory speed problem?
I'll have a look at the CLOVER folder shortly.

• I have 2 DIMMs, each 16gb, they are both showing but with incorrect value.
  • both of them are Ballistix sport, on the DIMMs themselves there are also stickers with the correct model and memory values.
  • Swapped them around, still the same.
  • I didn't know but apparently you can just change the frequency in the BIOS menu, I tried to do that before but didn't understand how.
  • bonus point- I also tried only one DIMM and it also said 8gb instead of 16.
Edit - could the DIMMs simply be defective?
Edit 2 - Tried again to implement the HDMI fix from the spoiler... first I followed all the post installation procedure again, made sure everything was set up exactly like the guide (I even noticed that in the 10.14 os version of MultiBeast the WhateverGreen option is in a different place, and until now I didn't really use it. I thought this will be the answer, but it wasn't) got stuck at the same point. I reverted back to the state of the clover folder I uploaded. There must be something I'm missing somewhere but I really can't find it.... Also my Clover bootloader keeps changing it's appearance (and possibly it's version) when I switch these settings. I don't know why or how or if it's normal or even relevant, thought I should mention it... Thanks again!

Last edited:
Well, the long story about Intel Titan Ridge Thunderbolt controllers and legacy Thunderbolt 1 hardware, such as Apple Thunderbolt Display has come to an end.

Today I got final response from Gigabyte Taiwan HQ.
There will be no solution for TB1 devices at all. Never. It just won't happen. End of story.

They have been pushing Intel several times for a workable solution but neither of their requests have been responded or processed.

Intel strongly against releasing a "legacy mode Thunderbolt firmware of Titan Ridge" out to the market and end customers.

Intel also mentioned the Apple Thunderbolt Display was never in the Windows support category (even though it could somehow worked on older Gen. Thunderbolt chips). So they basically said that it was just special magic and you were lucky if you had it working before.

Gigabyte also contacted special Intel Israel Development Centre, and they also made an appointment with Intel Thunderbolt Team today.

The meeting just finished, and Intel direct response was:
  1. Intel will modify and give more information on the Thunderbolt FAQ pages everywhere, which gave some confusions previously.
  2. The Apple Thunderbolt Display is never in the Windows support category.
  3. The Apple Thunderbolt Display worked in previous Windows Thunderbolt/Thunderbolt 2/Thunderbolt 3 were never validated, it might work but wasn’t guaranteed at all.
Gigabyte team is very sorry that Intel refuses in any ways of supplying a legacy mode firmware to get a workaround because that "never been validated at all" will cause even more troubles that nobody expected.

So after all, there will be no workarounds or updates to get an Apple Thunderbolt Display (and potentially any other TB1 devices being affected by this issue) to work with Z390 Designare, Z390 Extreme or any motherboard with GC-Titan Ridge add-in card.

@AlexD, thank you for keeping us informed about this. Despite the sincere effort by Gigabyte, I'm sorry that Intel just didn't see things our way.

OWC has the 14-Port Thunderbolt 3 dock on sale for $229.
OWC has the 12-Port Thunderbolt 3 dock on sale for $179.

The 14-Port version uses Alpine Ridge internally so it's almost 100% likely that the cheaper 12-Port version uses the same or earlier controller.

Have you considered using a Thunderbolt Dock to see whether it will work with the Apple Thunderbolt Display? (OWC has a return policy.)

does the bluetooth and airdrop stuff work out of the box on this motherboard or do we need to get something for bluetooth and wifi? I tried to look around the thread I feel like the wifi doesn't work but I'm still not sure about the bluetooth
The on-board WiFi and Bluetooth do not work under MacOS. A separate Broadcom WiFi/BT card with a PCIe x1 adapter are required. Please see Components section of the guide for exact parts.

@CaseySJ, Absolutely, that's ridiculous. Just wanted to let any of you guys know, how things are going. Because I know, there are lots of people on various forums waiting for information about this.

I really can't understand Intel these days. They are releasing the whole Thunderbolt standard to USB Group recently, making steps for Thunderbolt technology to be more open and available in unified USB4 solution.

At the same time they are so brutal at abandoning their own standard backward compatibility, making legacy devices useless with their new Thunderbolt chips.

Anyway, thank you very much for the information about TB docks. Once there's an Alpine Ridge chip inside, I'll be fine :)

I also realized that it is probably time to move on and finally get myself new TB3 displays. Or maybe wait for Apple's one. Time to move on.

Hello, I’m a relatively new member and very new to Hackintosh-ing. I have been following this thread and went about building over the past weekend. I am able to boot and get running, but with a couple of issues. None of my 3 sata drives are accessible or visible. They show up in bios but not in the system. I also have a 2nd nvme Ssd with Win10 installed that does show up. Any help would be appreciated
You're right -- the "SATA@17" node in IOReg is empty. All of your SATA drives should appear as child nodes under this.

Your config.plist looks okay, but I changed the order of ACPI patches by moving "Change SAT0 to SATA" to the first row. Not sure if that will fix the problem, but it's the only difference I could spot.

Edit: Please upload your CLOVER folder if the new config.plist fails to make a difference.

Attachments

• config-hidhoman.plist
    7.9 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
First, CaseySJ... Thank you very much for all of the hard work that went into this guide!!! This is my 3rd time through the guide, first 2 were me not reading carefully enough and its up and running well. One question, on the Inject Audio Layout 16, I can't seem to figure out where to add the lines to the config.plist. Where is <key>properties</key>? Should it be part of or under <key>Audio</key>?
Realizing the confusion caused by the original version, I rewrote parts of that section a couple of hours ago. Please have another look and if it’s still problematic, just post your config.plist and I’ll update it for you.

@CaseySJ, Absolutely, that's ridiculous. Just wanted to let any of you guys know, how things are going. Because I know, there are lots of people on various forums waiting for information about this.

I really can't understand Intel these days. They are releasing the whole Thunderbolt standard to USB Group recently, making steps for Thunderbolt technology to be more open and available in unified USB4 solution.

At the same time they are so brutal at abandoning their own standard backward compatibility, making legacy devices useless with their new Thunderbolt chips.

Anyway, thank you very much for the information about TB docks. Once there's an Alpine Ridge chip inside, I'll be fine :)

I also realized that it is probably time to move on and finally get myself new TB3 displays. Or maybe wait for Apple's one. Time to move on.
I waited 10 years to upgrade my 2008 Mac Pro 3,1. So I understand the value of making the most of the products we buy. But eventually it becomes clear that the time to upgrade to new technology has come.

I think there may well be some nice surprises in Apple’s lineup this year. I would love to get my hands on a redesigned MacBook Pro. My 2012 MacBook Air has seen its glory days.

And I’m also looking forward to the rumored 6K Display.

So yeah, time to move on.

Back