Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

[QU, post: 1903140, member: 2134452"]
Different motherboards and chipsets respond very differently to memory fix drivers. The Clover settings prescribed in the preparation steps of the guide are fairly generic, but I would suggest starting with standard AptioMemoryFix-64 and without slide=0. If you encounter memory allocation errors on boot, then switch to OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 and slide=0.

Because you’re modifying Clover on the USB install disk, you can somewhat freely experiment with different drivers and different config.plist settings without harming the existing High Sierra disk.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot @CaseySJ , the build will be pretty much the same as yours , but with i9-9900k and without dedicated graphic card. The motherboard will be the same as yours.

Thanks again for all your help and fantastic guide !

So I try to resume here how I solved my problem of Sleep/Shutdown

But please take in consideration that this was my own case/experience. I'm not telling anybody that this the way to solve sleep/shutdown problem. There should be other reasons for not working apart from this one.

Resuming what solved my problem was:

- Remove all 3 M.2 disks I have:
  1. Windows M.2 disk,
  2. first Mojave M.2 disk
  3. second Mojave M.2 disk
- Place second Mojave on 1st M.2 slot (was on 3rd slot before), apply a CLEAR CMOS and make a clean install.

That was it!

Of course, to get there I did several testings with other options before:

- Removed all the possible components, including Vega Card and Broadcom Pci-e card.

- Tried several BIOS flash versions. I had F5g, and reverted first to F4 and then to F3 (first release). Of corse when did that always applied 'Load optimized defaults' on BIOS and entered again all the BIOS setting recommended by @CaseySJ - No luck here.

- Since sleep and shutdown was not working on windows, I searched on Google, and found people with Gigabyte Motherboards that had similar problem, saying that this problem might be caused by a windows update, or hardware changes. (I changed a defective motherboard recently!)

- So with this I decided to remove Windows disk first. Tried to boot from both of the Mojave disks (sleep and shutdown still not worked)

- So thought that one of the M.2 disks of mojave was causing this problem. So I took out first M.2 Mojave and moved second M.2 Mojave to the slot where windows disk was before. I booted and still not working (I'm not sure, but I think that I was not even able to boot it this time)

- So in a desperate move, I applied the CLEAR CMOS, applied BIOS settings again, performed a clean install formatting the M.2 disk, this using the modified USB install disk, as brilliantly explained on @CaseySJ guide, and following step by step the install and post-install of this guide.

BINGO! Everything worked like a charm. Shutdown a sleep worked right away!

Then I placed again the other M.2 disks in the slots 2 and 3, I still had not booted from them, I'm scared to do it, I will end formatting them.

I'm still with F3 BIOS version, I'm also worried now to update it.

I Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

But please take in consideration that this was my own case/experience. I'm not telling anybody that this the way to solve sleep/shutdown problem. There should be other reasons for not working apart from this one.

- Remove all 3 m.2 disks I have:
  1. windows m.2 disk,
  2. first mojave m.2 disk
  3. second mojave m.2 disk
- Place second mojave on 1st m.2 slot (was on 3rd slot before), apply a CLEAR CMOS and make a clean install.

That was it!

Of corse to get there I did several testings with other options before:

- Removed all the possible components, including Vega Card and broadcom Pci-e card.

- Tried several BIOS flash versions. I had F5g, and reverted first to F4 and then to F3 (first release). Of corse when did that always applied 'Load optimised defaults' on BIOS and entered again all the BIOS setting recommended by @CaseySJ - No luck here.

- Since sleep and shutdown was not working on windows, I searched on Google, and found people with Gigabyte Motherboards that had similar problem, saying that this problem might be caused by a windows update, or hardware changes. (I changed a defective motherboard recently!)

- So with this I decided to remove Windows disk first. Tried to boot from both of the mojave disks (sleep and shutdown still not worked)

- So thought that one of the m.2 disks of mojave was causing this problem. So I took out first m.2 mojave and moved second m.2 mojave to the slot where windows disk was before. I booted and still not working (I'm not sure, but I think that I was not even able to boot it this time)

- So in a desperate move, I applied the CLEAR CMOS, applied BIOS settings again, performed a clean install formatting the m.2 disk, this using the modified usb install disk, as brilliantly explained on @CaseySJ guide, and following step by step the install and post-install of this guide.

Then I placed again the other m.2 disks in the slots 2 and 3, I still had not booted from them, I'm scared to do it, I will end formatting them.

Congratulations on fixing sleep and shutdown!! Glad you noticed that sleep did not work even in Windows!

I think you can safely update BIOS. Then check sleep/shutdown again.
If ok, connect the WiFi/BT PCIe card. Again check sleep/shutdown.

Because you were using all 3 M.2 slots on the motherboard, it means that some of the SATA ports were disabled. Do you have anything connected to any of the internal SATA ports?

Sounds like a long road, but I'm not entirely sure what to take from it or how I can apply that to my scenario.
I only have a single M.2 (Samsung NVME), and it is already in the 1st slot, and I have already formatted and reinstalled. Maybe I need to roll back my BIOS to F6 from F7f and reinstall.

edit: I DO have 4 SSD disks in addition to my NVMe card.

Congratulations on fixing sleep and shutdown!! Glad you noticed that sleep did not work even in Windows!

I think you can safely update BIOS. Then check sleep/shutdown again.
If ok, connect the WiFi/BT PCIe card. Again check sleep/shutdown.

Because you were using all 3 M.2 slots on the motherboard, it means that some of the SATA ports were disabled. Do you have anything connected to any of the internal SATA ports?

Thanks! This was a hard one to solve. But luckily detected and solved. Tonight will ultimate install. But I confirm that already have the broadcom card working on it's place, with bluetooth, continuity etc... fully working.

The only thing that is still not working is FCPX, because I still didin't have the time to do it. But now I know how to solve this one :)

I have a ssd disk connected to one of the sata ports, that instaled this week. It's funny, because Vega is so big that was blocking the access to this ports, so installed to the only one that was reachable. But it didn't worked. So took a look to the MB manual, and immediately understand the limitations when I have the 3 m.2 ports busy, so I changed to other sata port.

- Remove all 3 m.2 disks I have:
  1. windows m.2 disk,
  2. first mojave m.2 disk
  3. second mojave m.2 disk
- Place second mojave on 1st m.2 slot (was on 3rd slot before), apply a CLEAR CMOS and make a clean install.

That was it!

Of corse to get there I did several testings with other options before:

- Removed all the possible components, including Vega Card and broadcom Pci-e card.

- Tried several BIOS flash versions. I had F5g, and reverted first to F4 and then to F3 (first release). Of corse when did that always applied 'Load optimised defaults' on BIOS and entered again all the BIOS setting recommended by @CaseySJ - No luck here.

- So with this I decided to remove Windows disk first. Tried to boot from both of the mojave disks (sleep and shutdown still not worked)

- So thought that one of the m.2 disks of mojave was causing this problem. So I took out first m.2 mojave and moved second m.2 mojave to the slot where windows disk was before. I booted and still not working (I'm not sure, but I think that I was not even able to boot it this time)

- So in a desperate move, I applied the CLEAR CMOS, applied BIOS settings again, performed a clean install formatting the m.2 disk, this using the modified usb install disk, as brilliantly explained on @CaseySJ guide, and following step by step the install and post-install of this guide.

Then I placed again the other m.2 disks in the slots 2 and 3, I still had not booted from them, I'm scared to do it, I will end formatting them.

I had a weird issue now that I'm thinking about it. My bios resetted itself a couple of times profiles were wiped out.

Sounds like a long road, but I'm not entirely sure what to take from it or how I can apply that to my scenario.
I only have a single M.2 (Samsung NVME), and it is already in the 1st slot, and I have already formatted and reinstalled. Maybe I need to roll back my BIOS to F6 from F7f and reinstall.

edit: I DO have 4 SSD disks in addition to my NVME card.

Maybe in your case, and if you want to try something similar as mine, you don't need to take out the m.2 card. You can try to apply a CLEAR CMOS, then apply the settings on BIOS (with Load Optimized Defaults in the beginning) and the start with a new format and installation.

I'm not sure if it helped to solve my problem to remove the disks, or if a CLEAR CMOS with fresh install in one of the disks would have solved it... I think I will never know. But in your case is worth to try. I hope you are successful! Good luck!

If you need my install disk config.plist please let me know.

Because there is several gentlemen asked me why do I use iGPU HDMI active mode not headless mode, I tried mine change to headless mode and finally I can Report my build work almost perfectly All function on iGPU Headless mode too.
Actually on Davinchi Resolve all rendering time decrease around 15%. Great. 9'20'' rendering time changed to 8'10" in smae file same setting.

1.Sleep & wake up
2.iGPU + RX580 work fully on Davinci Resolve 15.2.3 for Edit, Colorgrading, Noise Reduction,Rendering H264 H265 Proress
3.iGPU + RX580 work fully on FinalcutX 10.4.5 on Transcode & Proxy build, editing and other jobs except Share (Rendering)
4.Finalcutx share rendering, only iGPU works on H264 H265.
5.Compressor. iGPU+RX580 fully works on all job task.
6.Photoshop. RX580 works as a render GPU perfectly
7.High point Rocketstar 6314 DAS Thunderbolt 2 works perfectly with Hotswap

8.DRM on itunes store work well but not work NETFLIX on Safari
9. Fan speed & Voltage sensor not works (Must wait new fakesmc come)

I would like to attach my EFI Folder
Very interesting settings in config.plist:
  • Devices --> Arbitrary (information about device names and slots)
  • kernel patch "xcpm_core_scope_msrs" (for CPU power management)
And kexts:
  • RadeonMonitor (for GPU temperature monitoring)
  • CPUFriend (Lilu plug-in for CPU power management)
Some questions:
  • Does RadeonMonitor work well with FakeSMC by RehabMan?
  • Any reason for the custom CPU power management versus default (PluginType + AppleIntelCPUPM)?

I had a weird issue now that I'm thinking about it. My bios resetted itself a couple of times profiles were wiped out.

Also happened to me before.

If you compress and upload your CLOVER folder from Mojave internal SSD, I can take a look.

You programmed the ssdt already for me or everybody with the fractal design Case. Can you open the SSDT HS13 or 14 for Onboard Blutooth.
Because if I buy the broadcom I have to cut off the USB2 onboard Front USB for that correct?!
I copied most of the config after your installation guide from kenntkim66 Thanks although to him.
This way everything works.
But only the Safe Mode I call it. When sometime plugging in or out Black Screen Fans still run. Even during startup !

Thank you very much for your great support great thread.

You are doing a fantastic job.

Attachments

• Efi Flyball.zip
    21.1 MB · Views: 68
Back