Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

You should have the IGPU enabled whether or not you're using RX580 as the primary video device. It should be easy to enable the right driver on IGPU. You may upload your config.plist (but remove serial numbers from SMBIOS) for an audit.

Thanks @CaseySJ. My config.plist is attached.
I will say that my iGPU does show up in "System Report" (screenshot also attached). I dont see any tearing or have any DRM issues as far as I am aware.

I dont use FCP YET, but I know that it is on my list of things to get soon, as my wife has a ton of old videos she wants me to start working on. Dont know if I will need to do anything for FCP or not?

Attachments

• SystemReport.png
    SystemReport.png
    99.7 KB · Views: 70
  • config.plist
    8 KB · Views: 115
View attachment 375428

Search for "still waiting for root device".
Hi--I am chiming in for the first time here. @CaseySJ I just started my build and am getting the same issue as seen here. I did notice that the Clover editor that I'm using doesn't seem to have the exact same options as the ones you are listing. I did grab the latest version of Unibeast and created as close to the options you show in the build, but there are definitely some things missing (on the first page of options, for example, "automerge" and "fixheaders" are NOT on the bottom of my version.

Also, I'm installing v. 10.14.3 because that's all that is available now, but from what I'm reading that should not be an issue.

i7-8700k CPU, XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB OC GTS XXX Edition GPU, SATA SSD, Gig Designare z390 mobo.

I can't get past this. I tried on one of the front USB ports, and on HS07--same deal).

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks.

Paul

Thanks @CaseySJ. My config.plist is attached.
I will say that my iGPU does show up in "System Report" (screenshot also attached). I dont see any tearing or have any DRM issues as far as I am aware.

I dont use FCP YET, but I know that it is on my list of things to get soon, as my wife has a ton of old videos she wants me to start working on. Dont know if I will need to do anything for FCP or not?
Your config.plist is just fine. The screenshot shows IGPU is properly initialized with accelerated graphics. However, if you have Lilu and WhateverGreen installed (highly recommended to do so in /Library/Extensions) then it's better to use the modified config.plist attached here. This version does the following:
  • Removes FakeID IntelGFX, removes Graphics --> ig-platform-id, uncheck InjectIntel.
  • Inserts 2 entries in Devices --> Properties:
    • Entry 1 sets Audio Layout ID to 16 (hex 0x10) for AppleALC. This is the proper long-term way to select Layout ID for AppleALC. So the corresponding field in Clover Configurator under Audio has been blanked out.
    • Entry 2 enables WhateverGreen and activates your built-in HDMI port on motherboard.
To use this version, copy Serial Numbers back into the fields in both RtVariables and SMBIOS. And of course, install Lilu, WhateverGreen, and AppleALC into /Library/Extensions (and rebuild kernel cache simply by running "Kext Utility").

If you plan to use iMovie or Final Cut Pro in the future, I would recommend this method to try first:
  • Plug HDMI cable into motherboard HDMI port and connect other end to monitor
  • Keep existing video cable from RX 580 plugged in as well (hence 2 video cables; okay to connect both to same monitor)
  • Reboot and enter BIOS Setup
  • Change Initial Display Output from PCIe Slot 1 back to IGFX
  • Save and exit BIOS Setup
  • Boot into Mojave
This avoids having to change SMBIOS or convert to a headless platform ID.

When the system boots, BIOS and Clover will appear through the motherboard HDMI cable. When Mojave is booted up your login prompt will most likely be on the RX580, so you'll have to toggle your monitor's input selector to switch to the RX580 port. It's a minor inconvenience, but if you use Final Cut Pro or iMovie only occasionally, then I think it's the least intrusive method.

To go back to previous setting, just have to change BIOS again: Initial Display Output --> PCIe Slot 1.

P.S. Every time you change Initial Display Output, it is likely that auto-sleep will stop working. So just have to open Terminal and type:
Code:
cd /Library/Preferences
sudo rm com.apple.PowerManagement.*
Then on reboot disable all checkboxes under Preferences --> Energy Saver except for "Put Hard Drives to Sleep Whenever Possible".

Attachments

• config-manfriday-2.plist
    9.2 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Hi--I am chiming in for the first time here. @CaseySJ I just started my build and am getting the same issue as seen here. I did notice that the Clover editor that I'm using doesn't seem to have the exact same options as the ones you are listing. I did grab the latest version of Unibeast and created as close to the options you show in the build, but there are definitely some things missing (on the first page of options, for example, "automerge" and "fixheaders" are NOT on the bottom of my version.

Also, I'm installing v. 10.14.3 because that's all that is available now, but from what I'm reading that should not be an issue.

i7-8700k CPU, XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB OC GTS XXX Edition GPU, SATA SSD, Gig Designare z390 mobo.

I can't get past this. I tried on one of the front USB ports, and on HS07--same deal).

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks.

Paul
Hello Paul,

Welcome to the forum! Clover Configurator 5.4.0.0 is available from this link. Regarding the current issue (Still Waiting for Root Device), have you tried the two black USB 2.0 ports labeled HS09 and HS10 in the Build Guide?

The hardware you listed might require a little bit of special handling. For example:
  • XFX Radeon RX 580 may use a "non reference" port layout, which means the number of DisplayPort and HDMI connectors may be different from AMD's reference layout. This might lead to black screens from some ports (i.e. no video signal) in the later phases of installation and on Mojave login. You are welcome to perform the installation with your monitor connected through the RX 580, but if you encounter signal loss, I would suggest buying a USB-C to DisplayPort cable (assuming your monitor has a DisplayPort input) such as this one. This can be plugged into either of the two Thunderbolt 3 ports on the back panel.
  • The i7-8700K might present some boot errors with the use of OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000. You should still use this driver as specified in the Guide, but if you encounter any problems, we'll help you here.

1. I installed 10.14.3. Wanted to use 10.14.2 just like the guide but by the time I sat down to install, the app store only had 10.14.3
  2. I did try MacOS Extended (Journaled). I don't remember any error. It rebooted at about the 2 minutes remaining mark, then I tried following the guide to go onto Phase 2. That's when I got the freeze at "Start ReadKernelCache"
  3. I would continuously get a freeze at "Start ReadKernelCache" even when attempting to start again from Phase 1. I couldn't even get back into the GUI to reformat the drive. The only way I could reformat that SSD was to plug it into my external dock and reformat it using my Mac Mini. Seeing as I was going to reformat everything anyways, I completely started the whole process, reformatting the flash drive and redoing everything from scratch. I'm still having trouble as I cant load the GUI in Phase 1. It made it past "Start ReadKernelCache" and now its freezing at "Start UncompressKernelCache." I am unsure how to proceed.
View attachment 384516
Some questions / comments:
  • Are you using OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 in combination with "slide=0"?
  • Have you tried a full shutdown -- i.e. unplug power cable from wall for 10 seconds, reconnect, and reboot?
  • Because you have a Core i5-8400, you might need to use AptioMemoryFix-64 during the installation of Mojave instead of OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 (and uncheck slide=0).

@CaseySJ I removed the SSDT file for the RX580 SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580.aml as I am running an AMD WX PRO card. As mentioned by you it is mainly for cosmetic reasons as well. All is well. Thank you again for this fantastic guide and your continued support on this thread. I learned a huge amount this build compared to my one 5 years ago. Let's hope Apple doesn't make too many changes as Mojave evolves. I was motivated for this MB based on the TB-3 ports and they do not disappoint. This machine is a beast for all my video photo and audio editing needs.

Gracias!

For my personal case I want to thank you @CaseySJ, because I have my machine connected with a Lan cable, I am not seeing myself using the wifi in the studio so I din't purchase the Broadcom card. So I have the bluetooth working, yeah sometimes you have to double click here and there for discover, but for what I need it (mostly mouse, phone and remote) it's working. I also don't mind not having the mouse in clover as it works with usb keyboard (although I boot directly into osx without clover), so for my particular case, it's a good option to have.

Is it possible to create an SSDT that activates all USB ports but what also keeps the intel CNVi bluetooth module working? BTW, as long as the Intel CNVi is working (so without the ssdt disabling it), sleep is not working. Is this normal?

For my personal case I want to thank you @CaseySJ, because I have my machine connected with a Lan cable, I am not seeing myself using the wifi in the studio. So I have the bluetooth working, yeah sometimes you have to double click here and there for discover, but for what I need it (mostly mouse, phone and remote) it's working. I also don't mind not having the mouse in clover as it works with usb keyboard (although I boot directly into osx without clover), so for my particular case, it's a good option to have.

Hey @xanderevo congratulations! You are the guy who brake the rules! You have bluetooth, as nobody had before with internal card... and you boot without clover? I didn't know that was even possible!

Congrats!

You are the guy who brake the rules! You have bluetooth, as nobody had before with internal card... and you boot without clover? I didn't know that was even possible!
No, you brake your car, not the rules :lol: Boot without Clover ? That is news to me. How does he boot then ?

Back