Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Yes, Sound Design, Film Scoring & stuff.

I went for the @CaseySJ list of components with some minor changes, different ram, different gpu, acoustic dampening case from be quiet, water cooling from corsair, 6 HDD and 2 m.2 ssds, with an internal usb motherboard hub for other stuff, otherwise it's the same motherboard and architecture.

I am on Mojave because I plan not to upgrade for a long time and everything works, depends on what kind of workload are you going to do, for music creation and sound design an 8700k is already overkill I think I wouldn't benefit from the full power of the 9900k for a long time or just on big orchestral projects.

At this point of the industry there are only few plugins which takes the full advantage of the multi-threading capability of DAW's so most of the times you will find yourself working on the basic cores of the processor for example in your case 8.

if you do a lot of Kontakt/Audio Conversion/Audio Processing Mojave is better under every aspect if we compare to nightmares I had with some stuff in High Sierra and it makes sense to buy a better performing processor, I need to better test the sync because it seems to have some micro lags here and there but I'm not really sure until I am able to test it on a proper project.

If you are a music producer, it makes no sense whatsoever pulling in a Xeon or an X processor, I would also stay away from overclocking as stability > performance.

I still have some little issues that I'm resolving, but nothing serious, the machine is solid.

You will have to arm yourself with a bit of patience during the install/troubleshooting phase.

Thank you @xanderevo. :) Yes, like you, I would prefer to start with the bigger (and working) configuration in order to use it for a long time.
I would be nice if you send me your definitive material list you chose so I can compare with the one I am trying to create.

Do you think the combination: the new i7-9700k 8core&Gigabyte Z390 Designare mother board is better choice for 10.13 Hi Sierra Mac OS or I can run i9-9900K 8core&Gigabyte Z390 Designare on new Mojave 10.14 ?

You said that you had trouble with Hi Sierra, can you tell me more about it ?

Thank you for your advice.

Best regards,

Vivian

General Framebuffer Patching Guide
If you have a different motherboard and on-board HDMI is not working, here's a general guide that may help. I make no guarantees and I may not be able to offer technical assistance.

Preflight Checklist:
  • Make a list of the video ports on your motherboard (e.g. HDMI, DP, DVI-D, VGA).
  • Make sure that at least one of those video ports is working. Typically DisplayPort (DP) should work. If none of the ports works, you will need to perform this procedure with a discrete graphics card (PCIe graphics card).
  • During the procedure, we will need to test each of the video ports. So you must have monitor(s) and cables for each type of video connector. The procedure can, however, be followed if one of the cable types is not available or supported by your monitor, but that makes the trial-and-error part harder.
  • You will need to download Intel FB-Patcher, preferably 1.6.8 or newer (1.7.0 is now available).
  • Lilu and WhateverGreen must be installed.
Preparation:
  1. Boot into Mojave with either an external GPU or with a working iGPU connector (e.g. DisplayPort).
  2. Run Intel FB-Patcher. From the top menu bar, select Framebuffer and choose macOS 10.14 (18A391). Newer versions of 10.14 will carry a different designation in parentheses. Just select the Mojave line. View attachment 377540
  3. Click on the Connectors tab. The tab contains a table listing Index, Bus Id, Pipe, Type, and Flags. Each row in the table corresponds to a video "connector". Connectors are numbered sequentially from 0. So the first row belongs to "con0" and the second row belongs to "con1", etc.
  4. Row numbers are just 1, 2, 3. So the first row in the table is Row 1 and it belongs to Con 0. The second row is Row 2 and it belongs to Con 1.
  5. If your monitor is connected to one of the on-board video ports, one of the rows will be highlighted in red. Note down the row number.
Procedure:
  1. Keep your primary monitor connected at all times.
  2. Now connect one of the other on-board video ports to a monitor that supports that type of input. For example, if your motherboard has a DVI-D port, connect it now to a monitor with DVI-D input.
  3. One of the rows in Intel FB-Patcher will light up in red. In the screenshot below, I connected the topmost DisplayPort (DP) into my 27-inch monitor and Row 1 turned red. This means Row 1 (con 0) is DisplayPort.View attachment 377537
  4. Now unplug this cable and connect the next available video port. In my case, there are two DisplayPort connectors. So now I plugged in the second one. We can see that Row 2 (con 1) is also DisplayPort.View attachment 377533
  5. Because I have only 3 video connectors on the motherboard and I know that my HDMI output does not work, there is no point connecting the HDMI cable. But feel free to connect HDMI to verify that there's no output. Here we can safely conclude that Row 3 (con 2) is HDMI.
  6. Now look at the Type column. We see that all three rows are set to DP (DisplayPort). But we have just determined that Row 3 must be HDMI because the other two rows are definitely DisplayPort.
  7. So we change the Type to HDMI from the pop-up menu for Row 3. And it looks like this:View attachment 377534
  8. There may be additional changes needed, but we should first test this single change. Click the Patch tab and select the items shown in the General and Advanced sub-tabs:
    View attachment 377538View attachment 377539
  9. And click Generate Patch. Then copy-to-clipboard everything from <key>Properties</key> until and including the first two </dict> entries at the end of the listing, as shown in the following two screenshots.View attachment 377535View attachment 377536
  10. Now open your config.plist using BBEdit or TextEdit or TextWrangler.
  11. Find this section:
    Code:
    <key>Devices</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Audio</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Inject</key>
            <integer>7</integer>
            <key>ResetHDA</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>
        --- we will paste the Properties section right here between Audio and USB ---
        <key>USB</key>
        <dict>
            <key>FixOwnership</key>
            <true/>
            <key>Inject</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>
    </dict>
  12. Paste the clipboard into the area indicated above.
  13. Save the file.
  14. Run Clover Configurator and open this modified config.plist. If there are any errors in the file, Clover Configurator will inform you. If you see no errors when you open the file, you're good to go. Just quit Clover Configurator.
  15. Reboot the computer.
  16. When Mojave starts up, log in to the desktop and connect your motherboard's HDMI port to an HDMI input on your monitor. Does HDMI turn on? At this stage it might not. But if it does, you're done!
  17. If HDMI does not turn on, we have to swap Bus IDs. Run Intel FB-Patcher once again, select Framebuffer from the top menu bar, and choose macOS 10.14 (18A391).
    • Bus ID 0x04 is HDMIC that supports DP, HDMI
    • Bus ID 0x05 is SDVO, HDMIB that supports DP, HDMI, DVI-D
    • Bus ID 0x06 is HDMID that supports DP, HDMI
    • Bus ID 0x02 is VGA (D-Sub)
  18. Click the Connectors tab once again and change the Type to HDMI per Steps 5, 6, 7 above. Now comes the trial-and-error part.
  19. Because the Bus IDs for HDMI and DisplayPort are generally interchangeable, the first trial should be done by swapping the Bus IDs between your DisplayPort and HDMI. Click twice (slowly) in the Bus ID field and enter the new IDs for DisplayPort and HDMI. In my case, I swapped 0x04 and 0x06 as shown here:
    View attachment 377542
  20. Then repeat Steps 8 to 18, but in Step 11 be sure to first delete the entire <key>Properties</key> section before pasting the new code.
  21. If HDMI still does not turn on, swap a different pair of Bus IDs and repeat Steps 8 to 18. Eventually you'll find a solution that works.
View attachment 377543

Wow! Thank you for the clear explaination on the process!!

Is there any specific configuration.plist entries I need before attempting? For example correct ig-platform-id is set and appears in System Reporting

Thank you i will try to check again when i go home,
it seems the issue is from the GPU not from the connection or hdd, I try every thing I moved the movies to ssd hdd and still movies not paying smoothly

Of course indeed xD

@pastrychef in another thread suggested to me that switching to iriri or kamarang for the Vega as Orinoco is for the 580, I'll try later. What do you think?
Maybe right. I still don't have my Vega 64, but I trust @pastrychef.

Thank you for your detailed post. I didn't had enough time to do it so good.

@DJ4MC @Racke
You don't have the properties setup like @Racke mentioned in his post.

Thank you both for the hint. I just missed the properties. Now FCPX works with iMac18,3.

Within GeekBench only one GPU is shown (RX 580). VideProc shows for the Graphics: N/A.

Attachments

• S4.png
    S4.png
    521.2 KB · Views: 106
  • S5.png
    S5.png
    590.6 KB · Views: 97
Wow! Thank you for the clear explaination on the process!!

Is there any specific configuration.plist entries I need before attempting? For example correct ig-platform-id is set and appears in System Reporting
Good question -- I forgot to mention this in the guide:
  • We need to remove any entry for IntelGFX in Fake ID settings.
  • We need to remove any entry for ig-platform-id in Graphics settings.
  • We need to uncheck Inject Intel in Graphics settings.

it seems the issue is from the GPU not from the connection or hdd, I try every thing I moved the movies to ssd hdd and still movies not paying smoothly
Note the reply above (2nd paragraph, Post #441) from @DJ4MC where he states:

" I can play 4K .mkv file in VLC 3.0.5 smooth as butter."

Do you have VideoProc? If so, can you use it to check whether hardware support for HEVC and H.264 is enabled in iGPU? You should see a result similar to image "S5.png" in Post #446 above by @ripe_md

Thank you both for the hint. I just missed the properties. Now FCPX works with iMac18,3.

Within GeekBench only one GPU is shown (RX 580). VideProc shows for the Graphics: N/A.
My GeekBench shows two GPU's. My VideoProc shows the Rx580. Can you use Preview to show .jpg files? I am currently iMac18,3

Can you use Preview to show .jpg files?

I've just verified *.jpg Quick Look:
  • iMac18,3 / iMac18,2: doesn't work
  • iMacPro1,1: works
but in comparison to MacMini8,1 sleep/wake doesn't work anymore. For all three models I get the same results (see S4.png and S5.png)

Does it possibly depend on the PCIe slot used for the RX 580?

Note the reply above (2nd paragraph, Post #441) from @DJ4MC where he states:

" I can play 4K .mkv file in VLC 3.0.5 smooth as butter."

Do you have VideoProc? If so, can you use it to check whether hardware support for HEVC and H.264 is enabled in iGPU? You should see a result similar to image "S5.png" in Post #446 above by @ripe_md
thanks for replay , I checked video proc, it shows that I have H264 and HEVC enabled, but in Graphic it shows the Intel UHD Graphic 630

Back