Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

This was my first round of testing, I still have to install a very big load of apps and plugins, will update the list once done:

Hi xanderevo, from your audio software list, I suppose you are also a musician. :) I would like to do my first Hackingtosh for Logic Audio, Protools, Ableton Live, etc.

Can your advise me about the component you choose for it and which are working? Do you stay on High Sierra for more audio software compatibility or finally installed Mojave?
I am unsure what is possible the i7-9700K 8 cores or i9-9900K? I would like to stay on 10.13; but maybe I am wrong and Mojave now is good for everything? On my latest Mac computer I am still running under Mavericks.

Thank you for your help, I am quite novice on the Hackintosh!

Vivian

Hi xanderevo, from your audio software list, I suppose you are also a musician. :) I would like to do my first Hackingtosh for Logic Audio, Protools, Ableton Live, etc.

Can your advise me about the component you choose for it and which are working? Do you stay on High Sierra for more audio software compatibility or finally installed Mojave?
I am unsure what is possible the i7-9700K 8 cores or i9-9900K? I would like to stay on 10.13; but maybe I am wrong and Mojave now is good for everything? On my latest Mac computer I am still running under Mavericks.

Thank you for your help, I am quite novice on the Hackintosh!

Vivian

Yes, Sound Design, Film Scoring & stuff.

I went for the @CaseySJ list of components with some minor changes, different ram, different gpu, acoustic dampening case from be quiet, water cooling from corsair, 6 HDD and 2 m.2 ssds, with an internal usb motherboard hub for other stuff, otherwise it's the same motherboard and architecture.

I am on Mojave because I plan not to upgrade for a long time and everything works, depends on what kind of workload are you going to do, for music creation and sound design an 8700k is already overkill I think I wouldn't benefit from the full power of the 9900k for a long time or just on big orchestral projects.

At this point of the industry there are only few plugins which takes the full advantage of the multi-threading capability of DAW's so most of the times you will find yourself working on the basic cores of the processor for example in your case 8.

if you do a lot of Kontakt/Audio Conversion/Audio Processing Mojave is better under every aspect if we compare to nightmares I had with some stuff in High Sierra and it makes sense to buy a better performing processor, I need to better test the sync because it seems to have some micro lags here and there but I'm not really sure until I am able to test it on a proper project.

If you are a music producer, it makes no sense whatsoever pulling in a Xeon or an X processor, I would also stay away from overclocking as stability > performance.

I still have some little issues that I'm resolving, but nothing serious, the machine is solid.

You will have to arm yourself with a bit of patience during the install/troubleshooting phase.

Mac Mini 8.1 SMBIOS not available with Clover 4813 from Clover Configurator 5.3.0.0. How could you select it?

I still can't use my Thunderbolt connection, even though I did include the necessary ACPI/patched files. There's also no Thunderbolt entry in the IOregistry. Besides that, I also can't use the reboot/shut down functions properly. When I click on shutdown, the screen does go black, but the computer keeps working.

Here are my specs:

Mobo: GA Z390 Designare
CPU: Intel i9 9900K
GPU: Nvidia 780Ti
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz 2x16GB

I've attached my complete EFI folder below. Can anybody tell me if there's anything wrong with the kexts, patches or my config.plist?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    22.2 MB · Views: 99
I still can't use my Thunderbolt connection, even though I did include the necessary ACPI/patched files. There's also no Thunderbolt entry in the IOregistry. Besides that, I also can't use the reboot/shut down functions properly. When I click on shutdown, the screen does go black, but the computer keeps working.

Here are my specs:

Mobo: GA Z390 Designare
CPU: Intel i9 9900K
GPU: Nvidia 780Ti
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz 2x16GB

I've attached my complete EFI folder below. Can anybody tell me if there's anything wrong with the kexts, patches or my config.plist?
Looking through the EFI folder, it does seem like the build guide was not strictly followed!

For example, you have AptioMemoryFix-64 and OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 at the same time, but only 1 is allowed at a time.

Anyway, please backup the current EFI and fully replace it with the attached version. I've also included the USB SSDT in the ACPI/patched folder. If it creates problems with the particular PC case that you're using, it should still work with all of the USB 2.0/3.0/3.1 ports on the motherboard I/O panel in the back.

Finally, Thunderbolt BIOS settings are extremely important, particularly Thunderbolt Security. Please double-check your BIOS settings based on Post #1.

Attachments

• EFI-Lumberjack.zip
    22 MB · Views: 90
@xanderevo @DJ4MC
@ripe_md I have this same setup: F6a BIOS, PCIe 1 and iMac18,3 and FCP and Preview are both working. Make sure you have the right files for PCIe 2 Slot (Any particular reason you are using slot 2 and not 1?) and then the rest of the efi as Casey describes in the build post for this. Hang in there. It took me a while. I can run Adobe Suite stuff (AE, Photoshop) FCPX, Motion and all the other assorted things I run. Very Happy so far!

Due to the size of the CPU fan I have to use PCIe slot 2. I'm using the correct SSDT, as I've initially provided the modified SSDT for slot #2 to @CaseySJ. Quick Look, Adobe Lightroom CC, etc. are working. FCP is crashing with the same Crash Report.

I've attached my config.plist (iMac18,3) and some additional screenshots from the System Report. I assume that the IGPU is not in headless mode. Before I was using SMBIOS macMini8,1.

Does it make any difference that I'm using an i5 9600k?

I highly appreciate any help.

Attachments

• config.plist
    9.5 KB · Views: 146
  • S1.png
    S1.png
    344.7 KB · Views: 102
  • S2.png
    S2.png
    690.6 KB · Views: 92
  • S3.png
    S3.png
    606 KB · Views: 97
For all of those of you, who is also experiencing a FCP crash, there's a solution I found to be working for me.
I've experienced a crash on FCP start so what worked for me:
  1. On your next reboot go to BIOS settings and make your iGPU a primary graphics output instead of any PCIe slots.
  2. Don't disconnect your displays from your PCIe card as it will be still recognized properly by the moment you'll see a macOS login screen.
  3. Launch FCP, it shouldn't crash now and work properly.
  4. On next reboot change again your primary graphics back to PCIe.
From now, FCP will work perfectly and will never crash. Maybe there's a need for a proper first initialize routine.
At least in my case it worked after I did these steps.
Hope it might help someone.

P.S.: I'm using Macmini8,1 SMBIOS and my UHD630 configured as 0x3E9B.

For all of those of you, who is also experiencing a FCP crash, there's a solution I found to be working for me.
I've experienced a crash on FCP start so what worked for me:
  1. On your next reboot go to BIOS settings and make your iGPU a primary graphics output instead of any PCIe slots.
  2. Don't disconnect your displays from your PCIe card as it will be still recognized properly by the moment you'll see a macOS login screen.
  3. Launch FCP, it shouldn't crash now and work properly.
  4. On next reboot change again your primary graphics back to PCIe.
From now, FCP will work perfectly and will never crash. Maybe there's a need for a proper first initialize routine.
At least in my case it worked after I did these steps.
Hope it might help someone.

P.S.: I'm using Macmini8,1 SMBIOS and my UHD630 configured as 0x3E9B.
If this procedure works, I'll add it to the build guide. Just looking for one or two people facing this problem to try the solution and report back.

@CaseySJ I'm really sorry for suggesting this, because I checked again this method right now. And to my surprise it doesn't work. I'm only able to launch and work in FCP if I leave primary graphics to iGPU. In this case the FCP runs just fine, but we're not seeing the boot, Clover and verbose stage of loading process. If primary graphics is set back to PCIe FCP still crashes on launch.

Back