Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi David, are you using 970 EVO or 970+? You may need to make sure you are running latest firmware if you are using 970+

I don't think that Windows would update the Sapphire firmware, I have Windows 7 and 10 along macOS and the firmware on the card is fine (I also have a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 590)...

Do you have a drive attached to SATA ports 0, 4 or 5? When using M2M, SATA ports 4 and 5 become disabled, and port 0 is disabled when using M2P. This could be an issue for example if a drive attached to SATA port 4 or 5 was being used by macOS, but would then be unavailable when using the top M2M slot.

Check to make sure your UEFI settings are still good for Mojave (did you change anything for Windows install?)

Another test you can do (if you can afford to remove Windows), install the top M2 drive, use Windows installer to wipe the drive, then test if Mojave still boots and works fine. If it doesn't, then there's something going on with the hardware that is making Mojave act funky. BTW, are both of these drives identical (model and size)?

TO completely wipe the drive from Windows installer:
1. press shift f10, type diskpart and press enter.
2. Type list disk, note the number of your Windows disk (if both Mojave and Windows drives are identical, then either remove Mojave drive before doing this to avoid erasing the wrong drive, or make suree the drive is really the Windows drive).
3. Type sel disk X (where X is the number of your Windows disk)
4. Type list part (to list partitions on the disk). Make sure that the partitions are actually from the Windows partition scheme, E.G. EFI partition, MSR partition (if you let Windows create partitions), NTFS partition, Windows RE partition etc. If they are, proceed, if they're not, select a different drive :)
5. If the disk is the right one, it should still be selected, if not type sel disk X (x is disk number) again, then type clean. This will erase the drive.
Note that this will effectively get rid of all data on the drive, so use caussion and make sure you verify the drive that you are erasing! You assume any and all responsibility for any data loss :)

Once the drive is empty/clean, boot Mojave, do you still get locked up? If so there might be something going on with the hardware, or perhaps using both NVME drives is making Mojave trip up? Maybe others will chime in with their experiences... I have 1 970 with both 10 and Mojave, and 7 is on a SATA 860 EVO, haven't experienced any issues like what you described with this setup.

HTH...

Awesome post djx8605 - I removed the Windows SSD and that was able to make my Mojave instance more solid (no crashes).

I've now reinstalled the Windows SSD in M2 and added two janky heatsinks with thermal tape to the included heatsinks (as well as install the M2 risers that came with the motherboard, guess I didn't have them before and was just relying on the natural spring force of the M2 slot).

Is there a good hard drive load test I can run? I've also removed the automounting of the Windows drive (editing fstab with a line like:

UUID=ASDFASDFASDFASDFASDFASDFASD ntfs rw,noauto

Have booted back and forth a few times and Mojave seems to be running without crashes again.

What I found surprising is that an overheating M2 SSD would result in a hard crash where the screen locks up.

Awesome post djx8605 - I removed the Windows SSD and that was able to make my Mojave instance more solid (no crashes).

I've now reinstalled the Windows SSD in M2 and added two janky heatsinks with thermal tape to the included heatsinks (as well as install the M2 risers that came with the motherboard, guess I didn't have them before and was just relying on the natural spring force of the M2 slot).

Is there a good hard drive load test I can run? I've also removed the automounting of the Windows drive (editing fstab with a line like:

UUID=ASDFASDFASDFASDFASDFASDFASD ntfs rw,noauto

Have booted back and forth a few times and Mojave seems to be running without crashes again.

What I found surprising is that an overheating M2 SSD would result in a hard crash where the screen locks up.

Wait, you didn't have the small standoffs on? The SSD were loose on the slots? You must make sure the small standoffs that come with the motherboard are installed and the drives secured to them with the (separately bagged) included screws. Having the drive loose like that, even if held by the heatsinks may cause issues, as they are prone to any external vibrations or nocks that might move them in the socket, which could cause damage to the drive, motherboard, or both!

Even though the heatsink is installed, you still need to secure the m2 drives to the motherboard using the standoffs. The only reason Gigabyte doesn't premount them is because you can mount them on different points, depending on the size of the m2 drive you are using (2280, 2260, 2240 etc). But as far as I know the standoffs are not optional :)

What case are you using? How's your airflow/temp inside the case? I personally don't even have the Gigabyte included heatsink on my M2, I just installed my 970 and left it bare, to be cooled by airflow. I'm using a Define R6, and the temps are nice and cool in there, so never had any issues with overheating.

I'm assuming that what you wrote for your UUID in the fstab file line above was just an example? You are actually using the actual UUID of the Windows partition? :)

Just upgraded to Catalina following your instructions on the first page (Please see this and this first!) and it was completely uneventful. Reviewed State of the System after Post Installation and it looks like everything is identified. Two questions:
  1. What else do you normally check to make sure that everything is configured properly?
  2. Is there anything I need to worry about if I decide to rename my Mojave and Mojave - Data volumes to something else (likely Catalina and Catalina - Data)?
Glad to hear it!

Q1: To make sure everything is configured properly we can perform 3 types of checks:
  1. Hardware configuration. This means verifying:
    • USB 2, USB 3, and USB C ports
    • Thunderbolt hot plug capability
    • Both Ethernet ports
    • Ability to connect and maintain connection to Bluetooth devices
    • WiFi
  2. macOS configuration. This means verifying:
    • iCloud login
    • FaceTime login
    • Messages login (note: on macOS it is called Messages, not iMessage)
      Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 8.09.43 AM.png
    • Quick Look for JPEGs and movies.
    • Ability to play DRM-protected content in the Music and TV apps.
    • HEVC and H.264 hardware acceleration, generally via the VideoProc app.
  3. CLOVER configuration. This means testing:
    • Shutdown
    • Reboot
    • Sleep
    • Wake

Q2: After upgrading from Mojave to Catalina, your SSD name will probably still be Mojave because the macOS installer does not rename SSDs when it upgrades 10.14 to 10.15. It is up to us to manually rename our SSD if necessary.
  • Let's assume that our SSD is called Mojave.
  • After upgrading to Catalina, the SSD is still called Mojave.
    • But under the surface, Catalina has actually created another volume name called Mojave - Data.
    • This hidden volume will probably not appear on the desktop by default.
  • So if you rename Mojave to Catalinain Finder, you will end up with these 2 volume names:
    • Catalina
    • Mojave - Data
      Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 8.20.59 AM.png
  • We should therefore run Disk Utilityto rename the hidden volume as well.
    • Just click on Mojave - Data as shown above.
    • Then type Catalina - Data in the box shown below:
      Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 8.23.10 AM.png
    • And now we have a properly renamed SSD:
      Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 8.24.18 AM.png

Last edited:
I just want to share my experience probably someone else having issue from monitor wake after sleep.

Thanks @CaseySJ, i followed your guide and it is working fine, except the monitor cannot wake up from sleep.
But i solved it simply by changing my cable connection from HDMI to Display Port and now the monitor wake perfectly without issue.

my current build:
Z390 Designare
i9 9900K
Shappire Pulse RX580
LG 27UK850
Let's hope this gets resolved in 10.15.1...

@CaseySJ, have a question or 2... :)

I manually created my own config and got everything up and running on Mojave 10.14.6. Preparing to install Catalina, but getting all the system work done before hand, creating SMBIOS, creating any SSDT etc.

A few questions:

1. Does your RX580 SSDT do anything other than list the device under PCI section? I copied the SSDT from the Post folder, but it isn't doing anything, PCI section still showed empty. Of course, this may be because I have an RX 590 and not 580 lol, so no surprise there. I'm just wondering if your SSDT does anything else that would help performance wise or in some other way (I checked the SSDT code and noticed you have other methods in there).
I actually added my RX 590 and other installed PCI cards to the PCI list using the properties section of my config.plist, since I'm comfortable and used to doing it that way :)
The RX 580 SSDT simply renames the device from RX 580 to AMD RX 580. This has the effect of placing it alphabetically ahead of Intel UHD 630. When multiple GPUs are present, some apps will prioritize the GPU that comes first alphabetically. Today, I do not recommend the use of this SSDT. Instead, we should use Clover --> Devices --> Arbitrary to change name and/or other properties as you just did. The guide for this is referenced in Post #1 (or click here).

2. If I remove the Intel WIFI card (plan to use it on a motherboard for a Windows build), do I still need to use the SSDT to remove it? If so, how can I verify that it is working properly? Is looking at the PCI list in Hackintool (for example) or IORegistryExplorer enough?

Edit: NVM question 2, as logic dictates and I just confirmed by reading a few posts by you quite a few pages back, removing the card should be followed by removing the SSDT lol...
Yup! If removing the Intel CNVi module, we should also remove the NO-CNVW SSDT.

3. I would like to modify the SSDT for UIA, to use the ports I use. I saw you mentioned the power properties and saw that code in the UIA SSDT. Can I just edit the port section of the SSDT and use it as is, or would I need to do anything different to inject power properties for my custom port layout? Or could I just copy the relevant power properties section from your SSDT to mine to get the full USB power? If you don't feel like rewriting all of that (since your guide already has the work done), do you by chance have or know of a guide to do this properly? I don't recall if RehabMan's port injection guide dealt with power properties injection, will have to take a second look :)
USB power properties are injected to all specified ports so you can always change the list of active ports in the bottom part of the SSDT without worrying about power injection.

4. Do you have any update on FakeSMC VS VirtualSMC? I don't really use sensor reading apps or anything like that under macOS; I do my overclocking under Windows ;) Do I gain anything by switching to VirtualSMC? Currently using FakeSMC and OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000. If VirtualSMC would get AptioMemoryFix working, that may be worth it, as it supposedly allows for native NVRAM on most Z390 boards. Last time I tried it on my Z390 Pro build, it was no go lol...
I noticed memory fix drivers were a hot topic some pages ago, but couldn't quite gather a conclusion on the matter :(
I recommend VirtualSMC because it allows us to monitor Fan Speeds and certain Voltages for the first time. If you follow the guide for switching from FakeSMC to VirtualSMC (click here) you'll find a free app (HWMonitor) that does a very good job of show us the system vitals.

VirtualSMC does not seem to have any effect on AptioMemoryFix, however. Regarding memory drivers, you should definitely switch to AptioMemoryFix or OsxAptioFx3Drv if they work on your system. If they don't work, then just stay with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000. But make regular full backups to safeguard your data from any of a number of system-killer events.

Hi @CaseySJ
The issues I have are related to USB, which seems unreliable. I have the BCM4360 802.11ac connected to the internal header, and have SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml installed in the CLOVER/ACPI/PATCHED folder. Both USB HS and USB SS and even USB-C via one of the TB ports seem problematic, with peripherals dropping or very odd behaviour such as an external Samsung USB-C SSD which works when connected via a short cable, but through a useful 1m extension, nothing (however it works in Windows). The two USB 3 front panel ports are connected, but terribly laggy if I attach a second device to the second port. I have a slightly older TB Seagate unit which also does not function on the TB port (via the Apple converter), which is odd as the other TB devices are fine - but that may be a different issue.
Hello @phillg,

Your config.plist looks fine so let's check some other factors:
  • USB 2 devices will not connect to the two Thunderbolt ports on the rear, or to a front-panel USB-C port if your case has one. But USB 3 devices should connect just fine. Please note that not all USB-C cables support USB 3. The USB-C cable that accompanies the 2018 Apple iPad Pro, for example, only supports USB 2, and hence will not connect to any of the Type-C ports on this system because we've intentionally disabled USB 2 on those ports (in order to avoid exceeding the macOS 15-USB-port limit). However, most Thunderbolt 3 cables do support USB 3 and these cables can be used in both Thunderbolt ports and regular USB Type C ports.
  • If you are using a USB 3 device and a cable that supports USB 3, and you are still getting (a) connection and/or (b) stability problems, please do this:
    • Connect one or more USB devices to any problematic USB port(s).
    • Download and run IORegistryExplorer then select File --> Save As... and upload the saved flle.
    • Also open System Information --> USB and check the USB current (amps) information for one or more problematic devices. Feel free to post screenshots of one or more of these devices, as shown:
    • Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 8.59.59 AM.png
Any help would be really helpful. Thanks so much for this, and all of the information so far. Awesome! Let me know if I can donate to your beer/coffee fund.
Thank you for the sentiment! :) We do this on a purely pro bono basis, but anyone is welcome to contribute to the site's operation by clicking the Contribute button at the very top left of the page.

Hi @CaseySJ! Thanks for your help in checking my BT / WiFi config. I discovered that removing the back lid cover for the batteries of the Magic Mouse improves significantly the BT signal.

As is constantly said in this forum, thanks to you my system is at the pinnacle of perfection with just small caveat. This time is a power issue related to shutdown, reboot, sleep and wake, all of which are probably related to CC configuration. I'll list the issues in order:

1. SHUTDOWN: When I shut down my system I sometimes get a reboot instead. At first, I thought I had hit the wrong button, but now I'm sure there's an issue there. This happens randomly and not so frequently, but it happens.

Afterward, when the system does turn off, one of two things happen:
a. it turns off with the motherboard lights turned off (which I guess is the right way).
b. it turns off with the motherboard lights turned on (which is really strange and I don't know why it happens).

2. REBOOT: Reboot works properly, except when I click "shutdown" and the computer reboots itself instead.

1. SLEEP/WAKE: When I choose sleep or turn auto-sleep on and then wait for the computer to goes to sleep by itself, one of two things happen:

a. The computer will go to sleep properly (which almost never happens).
b. The computer will go to sleep but it would wake up immediately and then cycle to sleep/wake/sleep/wake... indefinitely, which is kind of painful to watch since I feel it's suffering, poor thing.

I am on 10.14.6 not upgrading to 10.15 because of the 32-bit compatibility issue. I have to wait for all of the audio software that I use to catch up. But I really want to get to a golden build around 10.14.6 with this hardware.

So these are my only issues remaining in order to achieve that. Those and the stripped screw I still can't get out, but that one can stay there for now.

Thanks in advance Master,

Cheers!

Hello CaseySJ,
I Try some day's to have airplay,and both video out (from RX and from motherboard HDMI).
(I'm a FCPX user, too.)

My configuration is..
i7-9700
GByte Z390 Pro
RX 580
Fenvi HB-1200
on Catalina 10.15 (19A603)

I can't do it as much as I tried with patching..
I'm doing something wrong.
If you have some time can check my EFI folder please ?
Thanks.. (if you need some more files let me now..) :)
Please try the attached config.plist, but copy serial numbers back into SMBIOS and RtVariables. This version includes the following changes:
  • Deletes custom PowerPlay properties (PP) from devices --> Properties
  • Adds HDMI connector patch for Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Pro in devices --> Properties
  • Fixes checkboxes in Kernel and Kext Patches that were reversed.
You should be able to connect HDMI cable to motherboard's HDMI port.

If you continue to encounter video output problems, please provide the following info:
  • Are you using DP or HDMI from RX 580?
  • What is the make/model of your monitor(s)?
  • Are you using straight DP-to-DP or HDMI-to-HDMI cables (no adapters)?
Please note that some HDMI-related problems are being reported in Catalina.

Finally, regarding AirPlay, it should work as long as your Hackintosh and all of your AirPlay devices are connected to the same iCloud or Apple Account, and all are on the same WiFi or wired network.

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.9 KB · Views: 101
Wait, you didn't have the small standoffs on? The SSD were loose on the slots? You must make sure the small standoffs that come with the motherboard are installed and the drives secured to them with the (separately bagged) included screws. Having the drive loose like that, even if held by the heatsinks may cause issues, as they are prone to any external vibrations or nocks that might move them in the socket, which could cause damage to the drive, motherboard, or both!

Even though the heatsink is installed, you still need to secure the m2 drives to the motherboard using the standoffs. The only reason Gigabyte doesn't premount them is because you can mount them on different points, depending on the size of the m2 drive you are using (2280, 2260, 2240 etc). But as far as I know the standoffs are not optional :)

What case are you using? How's your airflow/temp inside the case? I personally don't even have the Gigabyte included heatsink on my M2, I just installed my 970 and left it bare, to be cooled by airflow. I'm using a Define R6, and the temps are nice and cool in there, so never had any issues with overheating.

I'm assuming that what you wrote for your UUID in the fstab file line above was just an example? You are actually using the actual UUID of the Windows partition? :)

Hey @djx8605 - yes, now that I'm thinking about it I'm surprised it worked so long without the standoffs (about a month or so with just the Mojave M2).

I've installed both stand-offs and the hold between the heatsink and the drive seem a lot tighter. I also thermal-taped some heatsinks on top of the Gigabyte heatsinks just for good measure. I'm not sure if the SSDs have a readable temperature monitor but would be curious to see it now.

I also have a R6 (though I'm semi-regretting it as it's a huge case). I tried the Define C but it was very low quality compared to the R6 in finish I thought.

The Sapphire RX590 I think isn't helping as the fan only runs in certain situations - that means the drives really only get airflow from the lower front-case fan I would think.

An update - I've added some heatsinks to the M2 drives (as well as putting the standoff screws in which keeps the Gigabyte native heatsink tighter to the drive).

I also made the Windows SSD not automount so Spotlight won't look at it.

Seems to be more stable now.
The proper way to remove a folder or entire drive from Spotlight! :)
Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 9.32.39 AM.png

Back