Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello everyone, everything good? First of all and not unlike everyone else, I want to thank CaseySJ and everyone involved in this perfect tutoring. I bought Designare after seeing this topic and it worked perfect.

I have only two questions. This is my first HACK so I still don't have the technical knowledge of changes I need to make. I ordered Fenvi but as I am in Brazil, it will take at least 1 month to arrive and in the meantime I bought a USB Wifi TP-Link WN725N that seems to work but is not recognizing. Do I need to change any settings?

The second question is about ejecting external hard drives when the machine enters sleep mode. I believe these doubts have already been resolved, I apologize for that but the number of comments made it impossible to read everything. Thanks in advance for the help

With the drive installed I was able to make the WiFi work.
I just get the issue of the hard drives that eject when the machine goes into sleep mode.

Removed RX580V2 patch, and now it's detected.
View attachment 427460

Ran the same youtube video on either screen here were the results in load:

WX7100:
View attachment 427461

RX580:
View attachment 427462

Regular browsing use:

View attachment 427463

RX580 still being the main card it seems :S
That's much better. My first thought was that the alphabetical order of the names might be the culprit, but AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100 is alphabetically ahead of AMD Radeon RX 580. So let's try a different experiment:
  • Swap the cards on the motherboard.
  • If RX 580 is in Slot 1 and WX 7100 is in Slot 2, just reverse them.
  • Does it make any difference?
However, please also keep in mind that if actual performance is already good enough with the RX 580 seemingly being prioritized over the WX 7100, then that's still a good thing.

Hey @CaseySJ - thanks for putting this great guide together. Got my build working after a few hours of struggling with Vanilla (gave up on Vanilla) and went with Unibeast (got the "End Randomseed" error for those googling in the future). My guess is that the Clover 5xxx series messes up the OsxAptio2FixDrv memory fix?)

My build is working and everything is stable but it seems like when the system goes to sleep "naturally" (usually in an hour) - I can't wake it up. The machine appears to be running (need to test if it's still on the network and I can ssh into it) but the USB ports are dead (plugging and unplugging my keyboard directly into the Motherboard doesn't wake up the keyboard).

When I sleep using the Apple command, it can wake from sleep with a keypress.

Here's my log (at 21:21 it enters sleep state, then about 40 minutes I tried waking it up but had to restart).

View attachment 427475

Here are the restart reasons - it looks like shutdown cause 5 is considered a normal shutdown (at 22:09 I pressed the Reset button on my box).

View attachment 427476
Good morning Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that. :)

Alright, HAL is gone now so let's get back to business:
  • Are you using OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 along with slide=0?
  • Are you using an darkwake setting in Clover Configurator --> Boot Arguments?
  • Do you have any USB devices connected to motherboard's F_USB header (this is the one and only USB 2.0 header on the motherboard)?
    • If so, please download and run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As... then upload the IOReg file.
  • Do you have more than one memory fix driver in CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder? If so, delete all but one.
  • Is the old CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder still present? If so, delete it.
  • In System Preferences --> Energy Saver, what options are enabled? Feel free to post a screenshot.

@CaseySJ
Hi Casey, I'm following your guide for "Easy Bootable Backup" from your initial post here. What does it mean if, when I type that command in the terminal, I get: No such file or directory. ?
And then when I go to mount the EFI on the external drive, there is nothing in the EFi partition.
I think it's safe to skip the Test Run. However, we should use EFIClone-v2.sh that is linked in the build guide. I ran some tests on other versions of the script, but they didn't work. So I'll revise the instructions momentarily.

So I bought a Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 dock and tried connecting my TB1 Promise Pegasus R4 drive to it via the apple TB2->TB3 adapter, and it did not mount. I tried connecting a TB1 G drive mobile HDD with only the apple adapter directly into the MOBO and, it worked, no dock necessary. The G drive has a USB3 port as well, could this be the reason why?

I was wondering if my TB ports were even working because I have a 4K Dell monitor that would not connect with a DisplayPort to USB-C cable. Only the TB1 G drive has worked so far, and, unfortunately I don't have any TB2 or TB3 devices. Is there another way I can make sure my Thunderbolt 3 is all set up correctly?
If the TB1 G Drive works via the Apple TB3-to-TB2 adapter, then your Thunderbolt setup is 100% working. Thunderbolt 1 devices are generally not compatible with the Titan Ridge Thunderbolt controller on this motherboard because Intel has prevented motherboard manufacturers from enabling something called Thunderbolt Legacy Mode that could have provided more comprehensive backward compatibility. That is why the Build Guide discourages the use of TB1 devices.

Hey Casey & Hackintosh community...my Designare z390 is working perfectly except I came across a USB-C thunderbolt problem ..I've never connected a Thunderbolt device to my Hackintosh, when connecting a UAD Apollo duo mk1 interface (using an Apple TB2 to USB-C adapter), the UAD software doesn't not see the UAD interface plugged into the back of my Hackintosh. Has anybody had success with UAD and same Apple cable? Or does anyone have any suggestions for me ?
If you look at the section Thunderbolt 3 Experiences in the build guide, you'll find a number of success stories with UAD devices. In fact, UAD audio interfaces appear to be the most compatible brand. It is necessary, however, to update the firmware on the UAD device before trying to connect it to this motherboard.

With the drive installed I was able to make the wifi work.
I just get the issue of the hard drives that eject when the machine goes into sleep mode.
Hello Hugo,

The issue of hard drives ejecting during sleep can be resolved by reducing your memory speed to 2666MHz or 2933MHz. Please see the links below in the build guide:

Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 8.30.21 AM.png

• Bluetooth is connected to HS12, so that port's Type must be set to 0xFF (Internal) in the USB SSDT.
  • If the USB ports on front panel are connected to the other circuit board, they will attach to HS11, so its Type must be set to 0x00 (External, USB 2.0).
View attachment 427286
Sorry to bother you again, but I want to make sure I understood correctly: when I open SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6-V3 with MaciASL, I find the value "Zero" and not "0xFF" or "0x00". Should I replace this "Zero" with the values you gave me? And then I compile and save (under another version number), right?
Thanks again for this support of more than 800 pages!

Sorry to bother you again, but I want to make sure I understood correctly: when I open SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6-V3 with MaciASL, I find the value "Zero" and not "0xFF" or "0x00". Should I replace this "Zero" with the values you gave me? And then I compile and save (under another version number), right?
Thanks again for this support of more than 800 pages!
In this case Zero and 0x00 are equivalent so either one is fine. In other cases, such as within a Buffer sequence, 0x00 is used instead.

Yes, please save your modified file with a different Version number.

There are several Thunderbolt docks on the market, but prices are relatively high (compared with USB C docks). All of them should work. The following have been verified per Thunderbolt 3 Experiences section:
Others:
Just wanted to add something interesting to this list:
Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 8.51.33 AM.png

EDIT 1: It was first listed on Amazon on June 15, 2019 so it may not be a preorder for an unreleased product.

EDIT 2: NewEgg also carries this (link here). They show the full retail price to be US$399 with $150 being a sale price for another 5 days. Not sure how accurate that is...

Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 2.16.59 PM.png

EDIT 3: There is no Thunderbolt pass-through port, which means daisy chaining is not supported.

Last edited:
Back