Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hint: In the Fractal Design zip file attached to the end of the build guide there is a “.dsl” file. Comment-out any ports you don’t need and un-comment any disabled ports that you do need. Select “File —> Save As...” and save it as an “aml” or ACPI Machine Language binary. You may post the result file here if you’d like me to check it prior to use.
CaseySJ (thank you for the HINT on the Fractal Design file, it certainly helped get me in the right direction)

I think this file is correct, but a couple of questions.
1: Ports (HS11 & HS12), The USBConnector on my compile shows "Zero" written out instead of 0xFF. Is this correct?
2: I tried this patch but I'm not able to get USB 2.0 devices to be detected from a hub attached to the F_USB31C header. If I plug this same hub in to the Thunderbolt 3 port (on the motherboard) it works (USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 devices are detected), and If I connect it to my NekTeck Thunderbolt 3 Dock it works (detect USB 2.0, USB 3.0 devices through the hub). Could you please look over the resulting file and see if I made the correct modifications?

Lastly when I connect a USB 2.0 device to the Hub when the Hub is attached to the F_USB31C header I see no detection in IORegistryExplorer.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Designare_USB_15_Ports_ON.aml
    846 bytes · Views: 64
Several people end up purchasing an internal USB hub to solve this problem. My personal favorite is this one:

NZXT Internal USB Hub

There are even cheaper ones, but this one is fully enclosed instead of some of the other which have exposed PCBs.

Where does this go? I have the my RX580 in Slot one right now. There are USB cables from the top of the case plugged into the F-USB jack on the motherboard.
Should i unplug those and plug the Bluetooth in? Because I also have the large cable from the Fractal case plugged into the F_USB30 port on the motherboard.

Thanks!

View attachment 426670

View attachment 426671

I put my T919 in that second, black PCI slot near the bottom of the board. Picked up one of the four-port splitter boards Casey linked to elsewhere in the thread and plugged that in to the F_USB header (also on bottom edge of mobo). Ran the lead to the side of the case behind the mobo, plugged in the USB2 cable from the R6 front panel to one of the ports. Ran the USB lead from the T919 to the splitter and plugged it in to one of the other ports (not next to the one for the front panel cable). The USB four-port splitter card is sitting in the bottom of the case, in front of the power supply.

I put my T919 in that second, black PCI slot near the bottom of the board. Picked up one of the four-port splitter boards Casey linked to elsewhere in the thread and plugged that in to the F_USB header (also on bottom edge of mobo). Ran the lead to the side of the case behind the mobo, plugged in the USB2 cable from the R6 front panel to one of the ports. Ran the USB lead from the T919 to the splitter and plugged it in to one of the other ports (not next to the one for the front panel cable). The USB four-port splitter card is sitting in the bottom of the case, in front of the power supply.

I added a 2 port splitter and a four port splitter, both work great and I have plenty of usable ports now.

CaseySJ (thank you for the HINT on the Fractal Design file, it certainly helped get me in the right direction)

I think this file is correct, but a couple of questions.
Yes, good job!
1: Ports (HS11 & HS12), The USBConnector on my compile shows "Zero" written out instead of 0xFF. Is this correct?
Please run IORegistryExplorer and scroll down to XHC to determine whether Bluetooth is connected to HS11 or HS12. Then change the appropriate port to Type 0xFF in the SSDT (for internal devices).
2: I tried this patch but I'm not able to get USB 2.0 devices to be detected from a hub attached to the F_USB31C header. If I plug this same hub in to the Thunderbolt 3 port (on the motherboard) it works (USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 devices are detected), and If I connect it to my NekTeck Thunderbolt 3 Dock it works (detect USB 2.0, USB 3.0 devices through the hub). Could you please look over the resulting file and see if I made the correct modifications?

Lastly when I connect a USB 2.0 device to the Hub when the Hub is attached to the F_USB31C header I see no detection in IORegistryExplorer.
The F_USB31C is tied to HS01 and SS01. Both of them are configured correctly in the SSDT:
  • HS01 = Type 0x09
  • SS01 = Type 0x09
If USB 2.0 is not working on this front panel USB-C port, please try this:
  • HS01 = Type 0x03 (yes, 0x03)
  • SS01 = Type 0x09 (no change)

My screen does not have USB C only HDMI. When I connect my screen to the onboard HDMI it seems to work. How could I keep the benefit of the graphic card and be connected to the onboard HDMI ? By "setting Platform ID to 0x3E9B0007 and add framebuffer connector patches for HDMI" ?

It is my only GPU unfortunately.
Alas we cannot use the on-board HDMI and get the accelerated graphics performance from the Radeon VII. There are at least a few ways to proceed, but you may not like these suggestions!
  1. Connect your computer to a different monitor with the Radeon VII. Use a relatively new monitor that has both HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.2 support. Does this monitor also go black?
  2. Connect a different AMD GPU to the computer and test it with the existing monitor. Does the screen go black?
  3. Check whether the Radeon VII was previously used for crypto currency mining (if you purchased a used card). Also check if its firmware was modified. If you purchased the card brand new, then skip this step.
  4. If the Radeon VII has two 8-pin power connectors, check that both of them are connected.
  5. What is the wattage rating of your power supply? The minimum recommendation for your system would be 750W.

I have another question: the audio is inverted, Mac OS believes that the rear audio output corresponds to the headphones and that the front output (which is the headphone output of the case, Define R6 USB-C) corresponds to the internal speaker output. Is there any way to restore the right order? Not very serious, just a little disturbing.
This is affected by the Layout ID. If you are currently using 7, please try switching to 16, and vice-versa.

Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 8.39.33 AM.png

I'm trying to update to the latest os version (Not catalina).
After several failed tries, i managed to update clover 5070. I feel like i must have done something wrong on the update options. The system boots fine with the latest clover. However as soon as i add the latest kext versions and run the kext utility. The system hangs on reboot at "End Randomseed".
What am I doing wrong?

I'm trying to update to the latest os version (Not catalina).
After several failed tries, i managed to update clover 5070. I feel like i must have done something wrong on the update options. The system boots fine with the latest clover. However as soon as i add the latest kext versions and run the kext utility. The system hangs on reboot at "End Randomseed".
What am I doing wrong?
If you updated from Clover 4xxx to Clover 5xxx please check that the old drivers64UEFI folder is deleted and that the required EFI drivers are in the new CLOVER/drivers/UEFI folder. Only one memory fix driver should be present:
  • OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000
  • AptioMemoryFix
  • OsxAptioFix3Drv
  • OsxAptioFix2Drv
  • OsxAptioFixDrv
Also check that your config.plist has the boot argument slide=0.

Alas we cannot use the on-board HDMI and get the accelerated graphics performance from the Radeon VII. There are at least a few ways to proceed, but you may not like these suggestions!
  1. Connect your computer to a different monitor with the Radeon VII. Use a relatively new monitor that has both HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.2 support. Does this monitor also go black?
  2. Connect a different AMD GPU to the computer and test it with the existing monitor. Does the screen go black?
  3. Check whether the Radeon VII was previously used for crypto currency mining (if you purchased a used card). Also check if its firmware was modified. If you purchased the card brand new, then skip this step.
  4. If the Radeon VII has two 8-pin power connectors, check that both of them are connected.
  5. What is the wattage rating of your power supply? The minimum recommendation for your system would be 750W.

I have only one screen, this one https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01AWG5U7Y/?tag=tonymacx8607-21
I can buy another GPU maybe.
All was new in the computer, nothing used, screen as well.
Everything seems well connected. I have a 1000W.

Back