Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

None of these SSDTs affects PCI0.RP09, where the WiFi card should appear. This is really peculiar:
  • Intel CNVW card is physically removed.
  • NVMe PCIe card works in both long slots (middle and bottom).
  • Two different WiFi/BT cards fail to appear in IOReg when installed into either middle or bottom long slot. But Bluetooth works fine on HS13.
  • CMOS Reset did not solve the problem.
I am running out of ideas but here are a couple more... :)
  • Re-flash the BIOS and set all parameters again. At this point, why not?
  • Enable CSM Support in BIOS.
  • Try removing the GPU from the top long slot and connect USB-C to DisplayPort cable to monitor (this is kind of a long shot).
Thanks for your help, @CaseySJ
I received the FENVI FV-T919 card, and installed that in the bottom long slot, and everything is working. I'll need to investigate why my other cards are working in another machine and not in the Z390 Aorus Xtreme, but the good news is that I now have a setup with wifi and bluetooth using the T919 card.

Note: When trying to debug the issue with wifi, I had already removed the GPU, and switched to USB-C to DisplayPort and was still experiencing the issues outlined. Now, with the T919, I have verified that it works in the bottom slot with both the USB-C to DiplayPort cable, and with the Vega56 GPU (with the GPU in the top long 16x slot).

@Mattioo Great to hear that it is working now. From my experience there is no need to have kexts like usbinjectall etc. in /Library/Extensions, just keep them in one place on your efi in kexts/other. Otherwise they might interfere with each other.

Looks like your system is perfectly fine! Here are my Geekbench 5 scores:

View attachment 425283

I'll add these to the build guide because Geekbench 4 and Geekbench 5 scores are not cross-compatible.

Edit:
Benchmark section updated as follows:

View attachment 425289
That is excellent news! Thanks very much CaseySJ.

Did you compare those scores to some of the example machines in the listing for comparison? I was seeing a core i5 ~2Ghz machine getting the same scores unless i'm not interpreting those readings correctly.

Thank you, without you. I cannot reach this far :D
  • "If you boot from the USB Install Disk and then select Boot macOS from Mojave at the Clover Boot Menu, does shutdown and restart work?"
-> The shutdown/ restart is still not working in this case, I search around and have the thought that it may come from the PSU. Let's me borrow one PSU, and have a check.
  • "It might still be a good idea to perform a CMOS Reset as described in the Designare user's manual. Simply use a flat-head screwdriver to short the 2 designated pins."
-> Yes, I did follow your advice, and restart the bios. We got no improvement :D

Attachment is my EFI, and /Library/Extensions folder.

Btw, there is a problem with my sound/audio. The sound is lag, and very cracky. Can I have your advice also?
Attached is a modified CLOVER folder. Please test it as follows:
  • Copy serial numbers back into config.plist --> SMBIOS and config.plist --> RtVariables.
  • Mount EFI partition of Mojave SSD.
  • Backup or rename the current CLOVER folder and copy the attached folder into the same directory (check that config.plist has serial numbers).
IMPORTANT:
  1. Copy all kexts from the attached CLOVER/kexts/Other folder to your /Library/Extensions folder (do not copy them into /System/Library/Extensions).
  2. macOS will ask for your password, so enter the password and let macOS replace any of these files that were already present in that folder.
  3. Now run Kext Utility to rebuild the kernel cache. Wait until the button on the bottom right side of the window changes to Quit. Then quit the Kext Utility and reboot.
Now check:
  • Does audio work correctly?
  • Does system shutdown correctly?

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 92
Your assumptions are almost all correct there.
  • I do not have the USB header on the back of the Titan Ridge AIC connected to the F-USB header. I ordered an internal hub and plan to connect it when that arrives.
  • The AGDP Diagnose output is in my first quoted post and verifies the full 5k res.
  • The monitor does not appear under RP05 on IORegistryExplorer. (See attached screenshot)
  • It seems to survive restarts and sleep just fine. I'll have to try a full cold boot when I get back home this evening.

Edit: added an extra attachment.
The empty RP05 output is curious. Do you have on-board Thunderbolt disabled in BIOS? If so, what happens if you turn it on? Does the LG still work along with camera, brightness, and speakers?

Yes indeed, you are at full 5K!
The empty device tree at RP05 was bothering me all day yesterday (yes I can be weird) and it seems that the motherboard may be intentionally disabling the on-board Titan Ridge controller because it detected a duplicate Titan Ridge controller on the GC-Titan Ridge Add-in-Card (AIC).
  • Have you tried connecting any USB-C or Thunderbolt devices to the two on-board Thunderbolt ports?
  • In BIOS, is the on-board Thunderbolt controller enabled?

That is excellent news! Thanks very much CaseySJ.

Did you compare those scores to some of the example machines in the listing for comparison? I was seeing a core i5 ~2Ghz machine getting the same scores unless i'm not interpreting those readings correctly.
If we filter by i7-9700K and macOS we get the following partial list, which is in line with our own experiences.

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 8.56.45 AM.png

Thanks for your help, @CaseySJ
I received the FENVI FV-T919 card, and installed that in the bottom long slot, and everything is working. I'll need to investigate why my other cards are working in another machine and not in the Z390 Aorus Xtreme, but the good news is that I now have a setup with wifi and bluetooth using the T919 card.
Now you know why we strongly recommend the Fenvi FV-T919!! :)

• Copy serial numbers back into config.plist --> SMBIOS and config.plist --> RtVariables.
  • Backup or rename the current CLOVER folder and copy the attached folder into the same directory (check that config.plist has serial numbers).
IMPORTANT:
  1. Copy all kexts from the attached CLOVER/kexts/Other folder to your /Library/Extensions folder (do not copy them into /System/Library/Extensions).
  2. macOS will ask for your password, so enter the password and let macOS replace any of these files that were already present in that folder.
  3. Now run Kext Utility to rebuild the kernel cache. Wait until the button on the bottom right side of the window changes to Quit. Then quit the Kext Utility and reboot.
Now check:

Well, I checked everything you said. But sadly, I could not boot back into the OS.

For anytime I ran kext utility. I always got the problem in attachment.
My PC seem behaves weird.

Attachments

• 7B806EE6-0242-4610-B14B-624D3F77296B.jpeg
    7B806EE6-0242-4610-B14B-624D3F77296B.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 64
@CaseySJ Just finished building my Hackintosh and your guide have been truly awesome, thanks man!

Everything works including sleep, reboot, Apple continuity, etc. :clap:

BTW: I'm using the Radeon VII (with the Mac 19.1 setup), and it works fine. But I'm not convinced that performance is fully optimized yet on 10.14.6. I think we might have to wait for Catalina for best performance on the Vega 20 GPU; so we will see about that. (Performance seemed more impressive when I tested the card shortly on Windows.)

Anyway, a big thank you!

@Mattioo Great to hear that it is working now. From my experience there is no need to have kexts like usbinjectall etc. in /Library/Extensions, just keep them in one place on your efi in kexts/other. Otherwise they might interfere with each other.

What is the difference between the /Library/Preference/ and the EFI kext folder? I didn't add USB in the library, though, it was already there.

IMPORTANT:
Now check:

You say that the Library/Extensions/ folder should match the CLOVER/kexts/Other/ folder ? Why that ? Jhahn above says to keep them in one place so I don't understand.

Edit: Oh, actually there is one thing I cant make work. It is the "Authorize your Apple watch to unlock your Mac", I get a error message like : "Your Mac couldn't communicate with your Apple Watch". Any idea ? (It works with my MacBook Pro.)

Last edited:
Back