Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hey Guys, so I build my system with i9 9900K and RTX 580 on Designare motherboard. Everything installed properly and works fine. But I am getting system freezing every two or three hours without any reason. Can anyone help me to fix this issue. I followed the instructions provided on the first page. Thanks

Hi Guys,

Did the '10.14.6 supplemental update V2' yesterday (V1 had already been done) and when I attempt to boot the screen now turns black/screen switches off right before the Apple logo. I can see some disk activity afterwards so guess it's just a graphic/display issue (using the DP port on my RX580).

Any idea what I shall try at this point ? I have a backup and tried to run the combo update but same result ?

Thanks
Frederic

Hey guys,
I spent past week trying to get frame buffer work on iGPU i9-9900K with Gigabyte Z390M Gaming, and I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Whenever booting I'm getting kernel error on framebuffer, I tried multiple platform-id changes and few configs from this threads with Z390M builds but still same erorr and autoreboot, attaching config and screens.

Kexts are updated to latest whatevergreen 1.3.2.
and also lilu to 1.3.8

I do have for testing GTX 1080 but its not plugged. The only output is to HDMI into 4K monitor.

Ialso used Hackintool and selected patch, SMBIOS is set to 19,1 iMac.

I'm running mojave 10.14.6.

I'm lost. :)

Thanks, Thomas

Attachments

• actual config.plist
    9.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot 2019-09-09 at 12.47.22.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-09-09 at 12.47.22.jpg
    945.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Hi Casey

I am using Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. I deployed your methods and get the system up and running. Just one thing weird. While I could disable the onboard Bluetooth and enable the Apple WiFi/BT combo board mounted on a PCIx1 board, I just cannot connect my TrackPad 2 to my unit. I can only connect the TrackPad using a USB cable. Any suggestion ?

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. BIOS settings seem okay, but some parameters differ from the build guide (such as Thunderbolt Security). I would suggest:
  • Re-flash the BIOS to F6.
  • In BIOS Setup, select Save & Exit --> Load Optimized Defaults.
  • Then make all BIOS settings again based on the guide in Post #1.
This will ensure a clean system and will also eliminate the effects of any over-clocking or over-volting actions (if any).

Then let's see what happens...

After flashing the BIOS, it seems everything is working well. The only thing I changed from your BIOS config is setting Internal Graphics to disable as I'm set up as an iMac Pro 1,1.
I could play for 2 hours without any issue. I just lowered the graphics of the game as the GPU proc is staying full time at 100% and I dont know if it's normal or might be crashing the GPU if it gets too hot ? I almost dont hear the fan so I'm afraid something is wrong in the fan control for the GPU ? But maybe not and its normal I dont know, with lowered graphic the proc stays at 90% and it worked like a charm.

The only thing that is not working is when I shutdown the computer. I always have that kernel panic error. I read in a previous post that it's rare so I'm wondering why.

Did you look at my EFI folder and config.plist ?

Attachments

• IMG_7511.jpeg
    IMG_7511.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7512.jpeg
    IMG_7512.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 60
  • EFI iMacPro 1,1 Mattioo.zip
    16.3 MB · Views: 77
@Mattioo Remove drivers64UEFI-Folder, add EmuVariableUefi.efi to drivers/UEFI and remove shiki-settings from boot-arguments in config.plist. AppleALC and IntelMausi are missing in your kexts-folder.

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ I appreciate your help. I swapped WiFi/BT cards with a known good one. The card that I had in my Xtreme works in that other machine. The known good card from the other machine has the same symptom here -- it does not show up.
I reset the CMOS and re-configured all the BIOS settings. Still no luck.
Do you have any ideas of what else to check/try?

Note: both built-in network ports work fine.

More Info:
-As a test, I tried installing a PCIe/NVMe adapter card in the middle long slot. It works fine (I can access the NVMe drive installed on the card). Then I swapped the NVMe and WiFi/BT cards. The Wifi still does not show up (with the WiFi/BT card in the middle long slot). And the NVMe card in the bottom long slot works fine.

Is it possible that there is something in the "Z390-AORUS-EXTREME-SSDTS" files that might disable the Wifi card or something?
I'm using these files:
SSDT-DTPG.aml
SSDT-EC.aml
SSDT-UIAC-AORUS-EXTREME-Z390-V3.aml
SSDT-Z390-AORUS-EXTREME-TB3HP-V4.aml
None of these SSDTs affects PCI0.RP09, where the WiFi card should appear. This is really peculiar:
  • Intel CNVW card is physically removed.
  • NVMe PCIe card works in both long slots (middle and bottom).
  • Two different WiFi/BT cards fail to appear in IOReg when installed into either middle or bottom long slot. But Bluetooth works fine on HS13.
  • CMOS Reset did not solve the problem.
I am running out of ideas but here are a couple more... :)
  • Re-flash the BIOS and set all parameters again. At this point, why not?
  • Enable CSM Support in BIOS.
  • Try removing the GPU from the top long slot and connect USB-C to DisplayPort cable to monitor (this is kind of a long shot).

Hi Casey,

Reporting back.

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. I no longer see the screen to boot into the OS from the initial Clover screen where I get to choose to boot into MacOS.

I now see these options.. When I click on "Start UEFI Shell 64" it brings me to another black screen ( attached as "unnamed-2")
Please do the following:
  • Shutdown computer and remove power cable for 10 seconds. This performs a soft CMOS reset.
  • Power on and see if the Mac boot options appear in Clover Boot Menu.
  • If not, then please boot from the USB Install Disk or a bootable clone disk and then:
    • Mount the EFI partition of the main Mojave SSD. You may use the Mount EFI option on the left side of Clover Configurator.
    • Then navigate to the EFI/CLOVER folder on the EFI partition and verify that the CLOVER folder and its sub-folders are present.

Hey Guys, so I build my system with i9 9900K and RTX 580 on Designare motherboard. Everything installed properly and works fine. But I am getting system freezing every two or three hours without any reason. Can anyone help me to fix this issue. I followed the instructions provided on the first page. Thanks
This calls for a whole bunch of questions!
  • Did the freezing occur right after installation and post-installation were done?
  • Did the freezing occur after installing any third party applications such as Google Chrome or Photoshop or even Apple's own separate software such as Final Cut Pro?
  • Are there any third-party devices or device drivers installed other than mouse, keyboard, GPU, monitor, NVMe, and SATA drives?
  • Is there any pattern to the freezing such as:
    • Does it occur in Safari?
    • Does it occur in FireFox?
    • Does it occur in Chrome?
    • Does it occur when watching YouTube videos?
    • Does it occur when doing any particular task?
  • What does the freeze look like? Is it the case where mouse and keyboard simply stop working, and also all activity on the screen stops (even the clock does not change)?
Some hardware questions:
  • What power supply are you using?
  • What is the wattage? 650W or more?
  • Are all internal devices properly seated in their slots?
  • Have you double-checked all wires and connections?
A number of similar problems from other users were traced to bad memory modules. If you search Google for "memtest for Mac" you will find the details for running "Memtest" to diagnose memory problems.

Hi Guys,

Did the '10.14.6 supplemental update V2' yesterday (V1 had already been done) and when I attempt to boot the screen now turns black/screen switches off right before the Apple logo. I can see some disk activity afterwards so guess it's just a graphic/display issue (using the DP port on my RX580).

Any idea what I shall try at this point ? I have a backup and tried to run the combo update but same result ?

Thanks
Frederic
Just to confirm: The screen turns off before the Apple logo or before the login screen?

If your monitor supports HDMI, please try HDMI-to-HDMI temporarily.

If you have a bootable backup before the V2 update was applied, try booting from that backup (press F12 during BIOS splash screen and choose the bootable backup disk).

Back