Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Which Vega 64 card works best with this build?
I wanted to get the Radeon VII originally but it's already discontinued. Thanks.

I'm just getting started, but I have read a lot. The Sapphire Nitro cards seem to be supported well, as do the Frontier cards. I picked up a Sapphire Nitro + Vega 64 on Craigslist (wasn't mined, etc.). It is detected properly in System Properties as a Radeon Vega 64 8GB without any additional work. (No WEG, etc.)

So... decided to upgrade my second build because this one has been working so well. But, the only Radeon VII I could find was the XFX Radeon VII instead of the ASUS (which works flawlessly) one. Everything is booting and stable except there is a very bad intermittent lag in the mouse. Everything I've read points to framebuffer patching, but has anyone else gone through this?

Figured it out. Had to update firmware in Windows, sheesh!

So... decided to upgrade my second build because this one has been working so well. But, the only Radeon VII I could find was the XFX Radeon VII instead of the ASUS (which works flawlessly) one. Everything is booting and stable except there is a very bad intermittent lag in the mouse. Everything I've read points to framebuffer patching, but has anyone else gone through this?

Not completely sure what you mean by 'lag', but in the beginning of this build I was frustrated by frequent mouse cursor jumps using a Logitech mouse connected to the USB dongle via 2.4GHz. Spent many hours finding the culprit (thought it was in my bios, config.plist, settings, etc), but finally solved it by going bluetooth and/or moving the Logitech dongle from a rear usb port to a usb hub close to my mouse. Might be worth a shot!

Not completely sure what you mean by 'lag', but in the beginning of this build I was frustrated by frequent mouse cursor jumps using a Logitech mouse connected to the USB dongle via 2.4GHz. Spent many hours finding the culprit (thought it was in my bios, config.plist, settings, etc), but finally solved it by going bluetooth and/or moving the Logitech dongle from a rear usb port to a usb hub close to my mouse. Might be worth a shot!
No, this was definitely the GFX card. Seriously, frustrating, but it's fine now that I updated the firmware in Windows.

My Preview app is not working anymore... it just won't open any pdf, png, jpg, gif files... a few seconds after I click on a picture, the app crashes and isn't responding anymore... I'm on 10.14.6, and I'm using a very similar build to the one OP has with a 9900K CPU and 32GB DDR4 RAM...

if it matters...

I've found using Hackintool's power page great for seeing what is on and what is off with regards to my power settings.

1566860896578.png

Quick update from my build.
The Fenvi card is finally here. I guess that now All I'm missing is an RX 580 and a webcam. I'm open to recommendations.

I had an extra "table top antenna" lying around, so I used these two instead of the ***tty antennas that ships with the card.
20190826_200730.jpg20190826_200739.jpg20190826_200750.jpg20190826_200922.jpg20190826_202707.jpg20190826_202715.jpg

@CaseySJ Do you have Wake on LAN working on your setup? Any tips on how to get it working?
I'd leave a network cable attached just to get that feature...

Back