Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

mine crashes if I'm connected via display port
I don't think it's your Radion VII causing the crashes. I have a Designare system with a Radion VII. It's now very stable. I'm using a DisplayPort cable

Hi. Sorry for my late reply. I don't often get on TonyMac. I do have a 0.0.4 version. However, I advise people who Hackintosh to actually read up and do their hackintoshing, having a solid good knowledge from the documentation. from each step. I will still upload the OC-EFI folder.

The difference between 0.0.4 and 0.0.3, is massive in some regards. AptioMemoryFix is replaced by FwRuntimeServices.efi, having a booter section in the config. This way, one doesn't need to use absolutely everything AptioMemoryFix offers. This is good, because your computer might not need it anyhow.

I suggest you don't use OpenCore Configurator, as it breaks certain things in the config. Use Xcode, Smultron, PlistEdit or something similar.

You can of course try it. But I strongly encourage you read up on the documentations. Though I know people would in most cases just get their hackintoshes working without knowing what they are doing. OpenCore is still in its alpha, next version will be a beta, as I've heard, 0.5.0.

I'm not sure if Casey_SJ approves of me attaching complete OC folders here. But if he doesn't, I'm fine if he deletes my comments. I would respect his wishes.

EDIT: [NVRAM] NVRAM is an issue with Z390 and OpenCore. For some odd reason, my NVRAM works natively with this board (Z390 Designare). Which is quite odd. It could be because of UEFI version or something I got no knowledge of. This said, you might need to emulate NVRAM. If anyone else uses OC with Z390 Designare, let me know if their NVRAM works, that way we'd truly know about NVRAM in correlation with this board and OC.
I have been experimenting with OpenCore, and have to agree with your advice to read the documentation and to be prepared for both subtle and significant changes as the development proceeds through Alpha stage to Beta, and then to Release. Also agree to avoid OpenCore Configurator because it certainly deletes a number of entries and reformats others.

P.S. It's quite alright to post the OC-EFI folder. Everyone is strongly encouraged to read the documentation, however.

** Final Cut Pro Users **

We're looking for some volunteers to run the updated BruceX benchmark in Ryan's post here:
Intel Core i9 9900K
64GB memory
Samsung EVO 970 1TB
Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8 GB

5K: 0:16
5K X5: 1:10
8K: 0:41

I don't think it's your Radion VII causing the crashes. I have a Designare system with a Radion VII. It's now very stable. I'm using a DisplayPort cable

I thought it was the GPU or DP cable, but, after more and more and more investigation, its all down to the RAM. I got some new RAM installed, and it runs amazingly!

Attachments

• hack1.jpg
    hack1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 84
Hello folks,

I have finally decided it is time to upgrade my aging 4770k system, and I am looking into a z390 designare, 9900k system.

This amazing guide and truly gigantic thread are helping me tremendously choosing the most compatible parts, but there is one piece of information that I seem not to be able to locate, and it is about memory.

I will need as much memory as I can possibly run on this system in a stable way. I believe recently a BIOS update made this board compatible with high density memory sticks that would let it reach 128GB of memory, has anybody tried this?

And if not, has anybody tried to compile a list of memory brands and models that have seen successful Hackintosh builds with 64GB? I have downloaded the document from gigabyte website with the memory that the board manufacturer has qualified, but is it reliable for Hackintosh use?

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Hello folks,

I have finally decided it is time to upgrade my aging 4770k system, and I am looking into a z390 designare, 9900k system.

This amazing guide and truly gigantic thread are helping me tremendously choosing the most compatible parts, but there is one piece of information that I seem not to be able to locate, and it is about memory.

I will need as much memory as I can possibly run on this system in a stable way. I believe recently a BIOS update made this board compatible with high density memory sticks that would let it reach 128GB of memory, has anybody tried this?

And if not, has anybody tried to compile a list of memory brands and models that have seen successful Hackintosh builds with 64GB? I have downloaded the document from gigabyte website with the memory that the board manufacturer has qualified, but is it reliable for Hackintosh use?

Hi - I've just installed in my system:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MVPW8HB/?tag=tonymacx86-21

seeems pretty good.

Attachments

• ram.jpg
    ram.jpg
    516.4 KB · Views: 93
Hello folks,

I think it's also recommendable to take a look at the Gigabyte memory list for this particular motherboard, they should work flawlessly hardware-wise as they're approved and tested by them

@Fabrizzioa04 @FriFlo

You can both benefit from the same instructions so here goes:

*** Mini-Guide: How to Replace FakeSMC with VirtualSMC ***
  1. Make a full bootable backup of the current system. This is your insurance.
  2. First we need to remove FakeSMC from 2 places:
    • Place #1: /Library/Extensions folder
      • Use Finder to move FakeSMC.kext and all of the FakeSMC_Sensor*.kext files (should be 5 of them) to your Desktop or Documents or Downloads folder. Just get them out of /Library/Extensions, but save a copy so you can restore them later if needed.
      • The run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel cache.
    • Place #2: CLOVER/kexts/Other folder
      • Mount EFI Partition of the Mojave SSD using "Mount EFI" option in Clover Configurator (on the left side panel).
      • An "EFI" disk icon will appear. Go to the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.
      • Move FakeSMC.kext and any FakeSMC_Sensor*.kext files to some location on your Mojave SSD (Desktop, Documents, Downloads).
      • Then open the EFi/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder (or EFI/CLOVER/drivers/UEFI for Clover v4988 or newer) and move SMCHelper.efi to the same location on your Mojave SSD.
  3. Now we need to download VirtualSMC.
    • Download the latest 1.0.6 release by clicking here. Specifically, get the file called 1.0.6.RELEASE.zip
    • MacOS should automatically unzip the files into a folder called "1" or "1-1" or something like that.
  4. Install VirtualSMC as follows:
    • Make sure the EFI Partition of Mojave SSD is still mounted (see Step 2, Place #2).
    • Now take a look at the folders and files in the VirtualSMC folder that you just downloaded. It should look like this:
      View attachment 417385
    • Copy the green box item (VirtualSmc.efi) to the CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder (or CLOVER/drivers/UEFI for Clover v4988 and newer).
    • Copy the red box items to CLOVER/kexts/Other.
  5. Note that iStat Menus will not currently show all of the fans. It may show at most one. So instead of iStat Menus, please use HWMonitorSMC2. The latest version can always be downloaded from here (the HWSensors3package):
  6. Reboot.

I've tried them all, it just won't boot.
It gets stuck at appleacpicpu and won't move forward.
If I put FakeSMC into kext/other and force a kext injection, I'm able to boot the system and revert the changes.
For me VirtualSMC is a no go.
Instructions have been followed carefully 4 times :)

I thought it was the gpu or dp cable but after more and more and more investigation its all down to the ram, got some new ram installed and it runs amazingly!
Good to know. What is the make/model of the old RAM? And the new RAM?

Hello folks,

Not sure about the 128GB. I have 32GB (4x8GB) of Team Group Vulcan DDR4-3000. It wasn't on the list of memory supported by the designare, but OOB it worked just fine. Googled a bit a while back, and it seems memory compatibility is hardly an issue these days. That said, YMMV. If I were you I'd just buy 128GB from a reputable store with a proper return policy and try your luck!

Back