Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I may be wrong, but Clover has nothing to do with memory configuration.
I've tested several brands here, and they all work, with 16, 32, 64 or 128.
What changes is the performance, due to the latency of each manufacturer. For example a Corsair 3000, here on my machine, which is exactly the same as yours gives 5% higher performance than using a 3600 G-Skill ...
The solution is to test and see performance, more memory will not mean better performance, often can get worse depending on the manufacturer.
Oh, great! You tested 128GB? I have problems with getting my 128GB kit to work! Could I ask you take a look at my previous posts and tell me, if you know, what might be the problem?
CaseyJS told me to test some alternative settings, because I can run Windows 10 128GB RAM, however, the same setup does not boot macOS with the 128GB kit, but has no problem with a different 64GB kit. My 128GB kit does not have XMP, but is compatible with the motherboard.

Last edited:
@FriFlo
I tested 128 with Windows, it didn't have a Hack yet, but it worked correctly.
In Hack I tested 16 32 and 64 .. I didn't notice any performance difference using the same brand.
What I noticed 5% performance drop is using G-Skill, I no longer liked the brand after the test I want distance.
Use Geekbench 4 (registered) for testing.

@FriFlo,

It is possible to make changes to CLOVER configuration without having to boot into macOS or even to modify the EFI folder on another Mac. At the Clover Boot Menu, select the Options icon and explore all of the menus and sub-menus. A lot of changes are possible on the fly. Just realize that any changes made on the fly will not be saved. On the next reboot you will need to make all changes again.

Have you already tried changing SMBIOS to iMacPro1,1? Maybe I asked earlier...

Did anybody else experience missing Tag Colors?

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2019-07-29 um 16.37.38.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-07-29 um 16.37.38.png
    23 KB · Views: 78
Hello @Rag, although the Radeon VII is significantly better than the RX 580 on paper, real world performance with Photoshop and Lightroom is affected by the quality of drivers and quality of the software itself. I would encourage you to search this site and the net for benchmarks.

Any Photoshop/Lightroom users want to chime in?

Radeon VII vs RX 580
  • 3840 cores vs 2304 cores
  • 64 ROPS vs 32 ROPs
  • 240 Texture Mapping Units vs 144
  • 16GB High Bandwidth Memory (4096 bits wide) vs 8GB GDDR5 Memory (256 bits wide)

I have no experience with anything other than the RX 580, but I have not seen a situation yet where the GPU/Driver seemed to play a significant role in performance in PS/LR.. I have not worked on any large (500gb+ sized files) yet, but could try one or two tonight.. And previous experience is that only certain filters really dig into the system, but that again seems to be only cpu. I don't know a way of monitoring GPU usage in realtime except temperature, is there something I can use to monitor this??

Premiere on the other hand is significantly improved by the GPU (rendering, exporting, etc). LR/PS seems to only max out the processors, while resizing/exporting large quantities of files, and on certain filters.

I do think disk I/O is a much more important consideration. I currently put all my LR catalogs on my Boot Volume (NVME) and all cache folders are on an SSD. Eventually I want to have a larger NVME and move those files there as well. My images are on a TB attached Raid

PS in particular sucks up Ram (I have 64gb) Adobe doesn't specifically say any more, but many versions ago the rule was 2.5X the file size was needed in Ram. Each additional layer (if you open a lot of layers) is the file size again. You can monitor this in performance area on bottom left of the image screen.

Well, I am back. The crashing stopped after the fresh installation I guess.

Please check my attached IORegistryExplorer. Seems the IOReg recognizes my build as Mac 19.1 at the moment.

Remained issues:
- Shutdown/ restart
- Bluetooth -> still same old issue
There is good news and bad news.

Good news: We finally see a hint of Bluetooth -- on HS11:

Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 8.15.20 AM.png

Bad news: This is not the correct tree structure for Bluetooth.

Your WiFi/BT card (link below) is based on BCM94360CD (good chip). Try moving the card to the bottom long slot. But shutdown the computer and remove power cable before moving the card.

If we cannot get Bluetooth working, you may need to consider the Fenvi FV-T919:

Last edited:
Did anybody else experience missing Tag Colors?
Is this happening with 10.14.6?

I haven't noticed it, but will take another look this evening.

Hello @Rag, although the Radeon VII is significantly better than the RX 580 on paper, real world performance with Photoshop and Lightroom is affected by the quality of drivers and quality of the software itself. I would encourage you to search this site and the net for benchmarks.

Any Photoshop/Lightroom users want to chime in?

Radeon VII vs RX 580
  • 3840 cores vs 2304 cores
  • 64 ROPS vs 32 ROPs
  • 240 Texture Mapping Units vs 144
  • 16GB High Bandwidth Memory (4096 bits wide) vs 8GB GDDR5 Memory (256 bits wide)

I have ran my Hackintosh build with both the Vega 56 Air Cooled and now with the Radeon VII. Yes, it's definitely faster but honestly not THAT much faster in Final Cut or Photoshop. It can play 4K games at Ultra/60fps no problem but there are not that many programs that utilize it. I mean, the Apple drives are SUPER optimized for the RX580 - It's almost crazy what they can get out of that card, and are only somewhat optimized with the Radeon VII.

If you can wait for driver support, I would think a $400 5700xt would be the way to go. For now, I would just grab a Vega 56 or 64 because they are so cheap. I would sell you my Vega 56 for $200 if you want it!

But then again, look how nice that Radeon VII looks...

Attachments

• 9Mrl3LTORlqSyQ6qF5EEOw.jpg
    9Mrl3LTORlqSyQ6qF5EEOw.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
Back