Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ

Audio / AppleHDA
According to "An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins" the handling of the "layout-id" using "Clover/Devices/Audio/Inject" is not recommended (legacy).

I've updated my config.plist as follows adding a new device property:
View attachment 378433
With layout-id=7 my headphones were not recognized. I could solve this issue by updating to layout-id=16 (properties value: 0x10000000). With AppleHDA v1.3.4 this layout-id was added for Gigabyte Z390 and ALC 1220.
I just assigned myself the task of rereading that guide. It also suggests removing "Change GFX0 to IGPU" and various other ACPI patches. I'm also intrigued by the "-cdfon" boot flag to fix a pixel-clock issue for 4K output from iGPU HDMI. So I'll also test the change you mentioned above and modify the build guide. I noticed that my front-panel headphone output is not working, but the rear headphone output is fine.

My weekend homework assignments are piling up!

As @AlexD mentioned, the Thunderbolt page will always show "No drivers loaded" -- on a Hackintosh. But if you look at the PCI page instead, you will see the Thunderbolt devices. You can also see the devices in IORegistryExplorer.

Regarding the CPU spikes, do you have access to a real Mac on which you can test the same UAD plugins?
I have a 2011 Macbook Pro to test the same thing project. Will do so and report back.

I noticed that my front-panel headphone output is not working, but the rear headphone output is fine.

The same problem on my side. I'm pretty sure that it worked in the past.

Update:
With layout-id=2 (properties value: 0x02000000) the headphone on the front panel works, but not on the rear.

Last edited:
The same problem on my side. I'm pretty sure that it worked in the past.

Update:
With layout-id=2 (properties value: 0x02000000) the headphone on the front panel works, but not on the rear.
Is this correct?
  • Layout ID = 2 -- Headphones on front panel work, but not on rear
  • Layout ID = 7 -- Headphones on rear work, but not on front
  • Layout ID = 16 -- Which headphone ports work with this layout?

Layout ID = 16 -- Headphones on rear work, but not on front

@CaseySJ

I've disabled "Change GFX0 to IGPU". Can't recognize any difference and verified the naming using IORegistryExplorer.

@CaseySJ

I've disabled "Change GFX0 to IGPU". Can't recognize any difference and verified the naming using IORegistryExplorer.
Yup! To quote from the Lilu and Plug-Ins guide:

Prerequisites

Installing WhatEverGreen will take care of renaming all of the required ACPI identities for us so if you have any of the following Clover ACPI Fixes/Renames in your config.plist you should remove or disable them:-
  • Change/Rename GFX0 to IGPU
  • Change/Rename PEG0 to GFX0
  • Change/Rename HECI to IMEI
The above Clover ACPI Fixes/Renames use a global/generic method of renaming the ACPI identities in the DSDT that can cause problems for us later on. WhatEverGreen finds the DSDT code that requires new ACPI identities using device specific identifiers and thus does a much better job.

After double checking on my Macbook, I'm getting the same behaviour. The issue seems related more to how Bitwig (which is the DAW I'm using) and UAD pluings talk to each other more than anything.

Without UAD plugins, I can definitely throw a lot more at it before getting any audio hiccups.

After double checking on my Macbook, I'm getting the same behaviour. The issue seems related more to how Bitwig (which is the DAW I'm using) and UAD pluings talk to each other more than anything.

Without UAD plugins, I can definitely throw a lot more at it before getting any audio hiccups.
That’s actually good news (and bad news)!

Hey @CaseySJ

Hope you are ok.

Just finished yesterday my pc build, and everything is working as it should on Windows. But I'm struggling to Hackintosh it. If you can help it would be great.

Here's my scenario:

Gigabyte z390 Aorus Xtreme
i9 9900k
32 Gb Ram Corsair 3600Mhz
3 x m.2 Samsung Evo 970
Sapphire RX Vega 64
Be Quiet Dark Rock pro 4 CPU Cooler
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass Case

Motherboard updated with latest Bios vers. F5b

As said everything working as it should on Windows 10, except one of the front panel usb 3.0 ports (already contacting Phanteks for that)

Yesterday night, I tried to hack it following your guide and BIOS settings. Changed everything as you mentioned except the following 2 points that I could not find on BIOS settings:

Chipset
  • DVMT Pre-Alloc → 64M
  • DVMT Total Gfx Mem → 256M
Anyway I have proceeded creating a new USB installer with UniBeast, following your instructions, and also modified config.plist with Clover Configurator.

After choosing "install from USB disk" in Clover boot menu, I could not get into Phase 1 install, because system would stop in different stages, before arriving to the Mojave install screen. (See attached some screenshots.)

Tried from several USB ports, and only one of the USB 3.0 worked to go trough Phase 1. (this after several trials). I managed to format one of the M.2 disks with Disk Utility, and went though Phase 1 install without any restart in the middle. Only restarted after Phase 1 finished.

After that, on second stage, after choosing 'install from Mojave' had another initial error, and did a force restart. On second try I could see again the install window. Right after that computer restarted by himself.

After that I tried thousand of times, and the system always stopping and could not get into install window again. After swapping and trying several USB ports, I managed to finish Phase 2, and see the welcome screen. And finally entered entered on my new Mojave.

My mistake was that I did not executed MultiBeast right away, and did a (stupid) restart. After that as I could not see Mojave disk from the boot order menu on BIOS. I had to go again trough the USB disk Clover, and choose ‘start from Mojave’, hoping to see Mojave again to run MultiBeast.

The thing is that the system always hangs before getting there. So again tried from several USB ports, but always stops somewhere before getting there. (See attachment X and Y.)

I really don’t know what’s going on. On my previous build I did not have any of these problems.

I don’t know if there’s a problem with the USB ports (or if swapping them was just lucky move), or if system hangs because I have i9-9900K CPU, or maybe something else.

Sorry about my long post. Hopefully you can give me some insights.

Thank you and best regards

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    968.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    967.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0014.jpg