Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I went ahead and got the MSR 0xE2 (CFG Lock) removed. I also removed KernelPM as well as PluginType flags in Clover Configurator. I followed that up with some testing and I did see a small performance jump using Geekbench, however, opening the same Logic Pro project brought my hack to a grinding halt as the 1st thread of the 1st core spiked way up and stayed there. I tried to restart and NVRAM reset at Clover boot to no avail. Where the load on that thread was manageable before, became unbearable now. I attributed that to PluginType flag removal. So I went back into Clover Config and put that flag back but left the KernelPM flag removed in there and all seems to be back to normal. Still, not much improvement from the original state in terms of performance.

Regarding AptioMemoryFix-64.efi - I have been using pretty much since day one. In fact, using that memory fix along with Virtualsmc were the only things that allowed me to boot with VT-d enabled and dart=0 removed, thus get my Slate VRS-8 working. BTW, you can safely add VRS-8 to your list of working audio interfaces. I'm including my drivers64UEFI folder in this post for those that wish to try my AptioMemoryFix.

slide=0 remains in place for now due to the dreaded (Couldn't allocate runtime area) error.
@luckyal Hello, please, can you guide me on how to make the vrs8 work? Should I connect it with the pci card or via thunderbolt?

Last edited:
Typically, a Mac owner will perform an in-place upgrade from High Sierra to Mojave. This will obviate the need for any kind of migration, and all software licenses will continue to work.

But if High Sierra and Mojave are on two different disks, then we cannot restore from Time Machine backups. We have to use Migration Assistant or simply migrate our data and applications manually.

So another option is to clone the High Sierra system to a new disk and perform an in-place upgrade to Mojave on that disk.

Thanks a lot, @CaseySJ. That makes perfect sense now. Initially I was thinking to do an in-place upgrade. As a matter of fact I have everything in place already (all the post installation steps). But due to the fact that I have never install a new system from scratch for the last 7 years and also Mojave is quite different from High Sierra, I thought it may be a perfect time for fresh install. But may be I will experiment with in-place upgrade if time permits. Curiosity is killing me here :)

Thanks for chiming in!

Thanks for the guide. Currently I'm stuck with the settings in Clover Configurator. In this app I cannot find the options from the first step in there called "Auto Merge and "Fix Headers", it looks rather like a display error. So I downloaded the older version 5.4.1.1. where these options are visible in the GUI and go on from there.

Hey there! If I'm not mistaken, and as you probably already know, 10.14.5 has built-in drivers for your Radeon VII. So, I would do this:

1. With the RX580 installed, update to 10.14.5.
2. Turn off the machine and remove the RX580.
3. With the machine still off install your Radeon VII.
4. Turn on the machine and enjoy your new graphics card.

Cheers!

@nifranza thanks for the tips.
Do you know where can I get the instruction to update from my current 10.4.2 to 10.4.5?

@CaseySJ My build has been running great with your guide for 6 good month. Basically zero issue.
My build was 10.4.2 with the Sapphire RX580, and now I would like to upgrade to 10.4.5 with a Radeon VII.
How should I upgrade from 10.4.2 to 10.4.5? Do I just replace the graphics card or do I need to make adjustment to some settings. Thank you.
Hey there! If I'm not mistaken, and as you probably already know, 10.14.5 has built-in drivers for your Radeon VII. So, I would do this:

1. With the RX580 installed, update to 10.14.5.
2. Turn off the machine and remove the RX580.
3. With the machine still off install your Radeon VII.
4. Turn on the machine and enjoy your new graphics card.

Cheers!
Agreed. But always make a full backup (preferably a bootable backup) before attempting any OS update. Then update Lilu and WhateverGreen to latest versions in the CLOVER/kexts/Other folder of the EFI partition of your Mojave SSD.

Thanks for the guide. Currently I'm stuck with the settings in Clover Configurator. In this app I cannot find the options from the first step in there called "Auto Merge and "Fix Headers", it looks rather like a display error. So I downloaded the older version 5.4.1.1. where these options are visible in the GUI and go on from there.
That's quite odd...

Have you tried downloading 5.4.5.0 from here?

@nifranza thanks for the tips.
Do you know where can I get the instruction to update from my current 10.4.2 to 10.4.5?
Have you seen NOTE 6? It applies to any previous version of Mojave. :)

That's quite odd...

Have you tried downloading 5.4.5.0 from here?

Yes, same issue. Attached a screenshot...

But finally I was able to install Mojave on my Hackintosh and now going on with your post-installation guide.

clover.jpg

Apologies Casey. It's in Note 6

Back