Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Sleep Issue:
  • Have you isolated the device that prevents sleep through the process of elimination?
  • After attempting another sleep operation, type this command in Terminalwhen the system wakes right up: pmset -g log | tail -50 > ~/Documents/sleep_problem.txt
    • This will create a file called sleep_problem.txt in your Documents folder.
    • Upload this file.
No Video at Startup:
  • Does this happen even after correcting the "PCIRoot" typo to "PciRoot" and setting platform ID to 0x3E980003 in reverse byte order?
  • If so, please upload your config.plist (remove serial numbers from SMBIOS).
  • Isolated device to BT card - Sleep/wake works when I disconnect BT card
  • Text files attached
  • I changed the platform ID to 0x3E980003 but changed it back to 3E980003 because of blank screen at startup and now Sleep/wake works with BT card connected but on wake the screen is black. Cannot send text file this time because screen is black.
No Video at Startup:
  • I have to pull power cable for 10 seconds to stop black startup screen. Sometimes it takes several attempts.
  • config.plist attached.

Attachments

• sleep_problem BT card connected Computer wakes from Sleep.txt
    5 KB · Views: 60
  • sleep_problem BT card disconnected Sleep working.txt
    6.5 KB · Views: 86
  • config.plist
    9.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2447.JPG
    IMG_2447.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 55
  • Isolated device to BT card - Sleep/wake works when I disconnect BT card
  • Text files attached
  • I changed the platform ID to 0x3E980003 but changed it back to 3E980003 because of blank screen at startup and now Sleep/wake works with BT card connected but on wake the screen is black. Cannot send text file this time because screen is black.
No Video at Startup:
  • I have to pull power cable for 10 seconds to stop black startup screen. Sometimes it takes several attempts.
  • config.plist attached.
Your Platform ID was entered backwards as 3E980003 instead of reverse byte order : 0300983E. This change has been made in the attached file. Please give this a try (copy serial numbers back into SMBIOS).

This should fix the graphics problem.

Regarding wake-from-sleep, are any devices connected to Bluetooth at the time of sleep? Try disconnecting all Bluetooth wireless devices.

Attachments

• config-wickett.plist
    9.1 KB · Views: 59
Several suggestions regarding Bluetooth:
  • Try reorienting the Bluetooth antenna. If you have 3 or 4 antennas on the back of the PCIe card, which one belongs to Bluetooth? Fortunately, each antenna is labeled on the PCIe card itself. Bluetooth is usually the 3rd from the top, but it's best to read the labels.
  • Also try disconnecting the Bluetooth antenna and attaching the antenna that came with the Designare motherboard. That's a single relocatable antenna with 2 connectors. Just use either one of the connectors and move the antenna around until you get a stable signal.
Hi all,

On the BCM94360CS2 card there are only two connectors labeled J0 and J1.

Which pray tell is the Bluetooth connector????

1562032226519.png

An identical ESP (EFI System Partition) on SATA SSD and on NVMe SSD should behave identically. If you like I can audit your configuration if you can provide the following:
  • Compressed CLOVER folder from EFI partition of the NVMe SSD.
  • Screenshot of /Library/Extensions folder.
So today, after work, I came home and booted up my computer and magically the thunderbolt device is working. I feel like there may have been some memory being held onto with like NVRAM perhaps because I also noticed that the automatic boot volume was working correctly too when I was having issues with that being acknowledged. Is that a potential NVRAM cache issue?

On another note, I tried upgrading to the latest High Sierra patch and that hasn't worked. When you run one of these upgrades, does it create a new UEFI partition that says something like Boot into MacOS Installer ... in Clover? I'm guessing if it installs correctly, it removes that partition so what I'm seeing is remnants of a broken partial install for the update?

So today, after work, I came home and booted up my computer and magically the thunderbolt device is working. I feel like there may have been some memory being held onto with like NVRAM perhaps because I also noticed that the automatic boot volume was working correctly too when I was having issues with that being acknowledged. Is that a potential NVRAM cache issue?

On another note, I tried upgrading to the latest High Sierra patch and that hasn't worked. When you run one of these upgrades, does it create a new UEFI partition that says something like Boot into MacOS Installer ... in Clover? I'm guessing if it installs correctly, it removes that partition so what I'm seeing is remnants of a broken partial install for the update?
During an OS update a new disk volume is created that contains the installer. On APFS file systems, the new volume is added to the same partition (same APFS container) as macOS. Within an APFS container there can be multiple discrete volumes. The diskutil list command can show you the details. For example, on my system:

Mac-mini:~ Casey_SJ$ diskutil list

The first section belongs to Windows 10 (240GB NVMe SSD):
Code:
/dev/disk0 (internal):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                         240.1 GB   disk0
   1:           Windows Recovery                         523.2 MB   disk0s1
   2:                        EFI NO NAME                 104.9 MB   disk0s2
   3:         Microsoft Reserved                         16.8 MB    disk0s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data Windows M2M             239.4 GB   disk0s4

This section belongs to macOS. It's a 511.9GB APFS Container with a 209.7MB EFI Partition:
Code:
/dev/disk1 (internal):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                         512.1 GB   disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk2         511.9 GB   disk1s2

And these are the 4 individual "Volumes" held in the 511.9GB Container. Note that each volume can grow in size independently until the Container gets full. Right now the "Mojave" volume is 235.8GB. If you see a macOS Installer volume here, you might be able to delete it manually with "diskutil". But it is safer to just leave the installer volume intact. It will be removed automatically once a subsequent OS update procedure is completed.
Code:
/dev/disk2 (synthesized):
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +511.8 GB   disk2
                                 Physical Store disk1s2
   1:                APFS Volume Mojave                  235.8 GB   disk2s1
   2:                APFS Volume Preboot                 45.1 MB    disk2s2
   3:                APFS Volume Recovery                509.7 MB   disk2s3
   4:                APFS Volume VM                      20.5 KB    disk2s4

Hi, @CaseySJ

First of all, thank you for the guide. It is great. I flowed your guide and successfully install the hackentosh. However, I have different motherboard: Asus maximus xi code. Still I mange to get everything working by your guide. However, my PCI section in the system report is still empty even after post patch. Can tell me how you did patch that section to show all of your PCI devices? Thank you.

Tried using Thunderbolt Target Disk Mode with another mac I had and macOS won't recognize it :|

I tried force loading the ThunderboltUTDM.kext (and related kexts but nothing happened unfortunately).

How'd you come up with the Thunderbolt ACPI aml? I'm wondering if there's anything I can add to it to get my MacBook in TDM mode recognized. (USB mode works fine, just not Thunderbolt)

I tried plugging it into another Mac to get the IOReg and this what I got, the ports are weird… there's an IOThunderboltPort@7 and IOThunderboltPort@1 underneath 7? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tried using Thunderbolt Target Disk Mode with another mac I had and macOS won't recognize it :|

I tried force loading the ThunderboltUTDM.kext (and related kexts but nothing happened unfortunately).

How'd you come up with the Thunderbolt ACPI aml? I'm wondering if there's anything I can add to it to get my MacBook in TDM mode recognized. (USB mode works fine, just not Thunderbolt)

I tried plugging it into another Mac to get the IOReg and this what I got, the ports are weird… there's an IOThunderboltPort@7 and IOThunderboltPort@1 underneath 7? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View attachment 414297
This issue comes up every so often. I will update the build guide to say that we cannot connect a Hackintosh to another Mac or Hack over Thunderbolt because we haven’t yet discovered how to enable Thunderbolt Local Node.

During an OS update a new disk volume is created that contains the installer. On APFS file systems, the new volume is added to the same partition (same APFS container) as macOS. Within an APFS container there can be multiple discrete volumes. The diskutil list command can show you the details.
Would you recommend that I keep trying to run the updater to see if it finishes successfully at some point? When I had my SATA running, I was able to update without problems. I wonder if things might work better now with whatever weird cache issue being resolved. I will attempt to update tomorrow and report back.

Which USB SSDT are you using? It will be in CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder with a name that starts with SSDT-UIAC-...

Generally we just have to set HS11 to Type 255 (0xFF). Based on the SSDT you're using, I can check whether or not this has been done.

Using SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6-V3

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 1.19.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 1.19.35 AM.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 59
Back