Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Probably not the solution to the current issues you are reporting, but the EVO Plus is NOT compatible with macOS. Even having it installed is a liability as even if it is just a windows system drive the OS will try to access the drive for this and that, as will some apps, and the system will not be able to read from the drive. This can cause programs or Finder to hang/ beach ball- it will also just randomnly cause kernel panics via apples NVME driver. You should remove and replace this drive with one that works with apples NVME driver. This drive should not be used on any system that will sometimes also run macOS.

g\
With Samsung's Magician software on Windows, one can install the latest firmware on the EVO 970 Plus, which fixes the problems that affected macOS.

Just got a Sapphire Pulse 8GB RX 580 and have had an issue with initial video boot.

I get to the Apple logo, get the purple lines that reading seem to be normal, then I lose video out. I am using HDMI out the video card to an LG TV.

I can remote in, set the resolution to 1920x1080 with a 30Hz or lower refresh rate, and this turns the video on. Oddly, now that I activated video out this way, I can select any resolution without issues, until I reboot and have to do this again, unless I stay at 30Hz or lower.

I get full acceleration in VideoProc and it seems to be working, other than this on boot issue.

Another issue is that I have the Z390 Designare+Fractal Design Define R6 case, and this video card covers the upper PCIe X1 slot entirely (and the upper M.2 slot, but that's no big deal as you can at least put the SSD in first, which I already did before getting the GPU).

I see the case is designed to offer a vertical GPU mount. On top of losing a PCIe X1 slot, the GPU being extremely close to my CPU cooler. If I mount the GPU vertically, will this free up all my PCI slots without covering them? I only have the GPU and a PCIe X1 adapter for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth currently but would like to keep as much expansion capability as possible.

If a verticle mount would work, any recommendations? I see Fractal Design has one for the case, but stock is hard to find and I hear there are cheaper options.

are you running High Sierra 10.13.6?
No way to drive, especially after I sold 1050Ti, I upgraded the system afterwards.
Please take a look at my ioreg.

Attachments

• kuque’s MacBook Pro.ioreg
    20.1 MB · Views: 79
Probably not the solution to the current issues you are reporting, but the EVO Plus is NOT compatible with macOS. Even having it installed is a liability as even if it is just a windows system drive the OS will try to access the drive for this and that, as will some apps, and the system will not be able to read from the drive. This can cause programs or Finder to hang/ beach ball- it will also just randomnly cause kernel panics via apples NVME driver. You should remove and replace this drive with one that works with apples NVME driver. This drive should not be used on any system that will sometimes also run macOS.

g\

As pointed out by CaseSJ and others, the 970 EVO Plus ought to work after the firmware upgrade (which I did). But still, perhaps you're right about the 970 EVO Plus messing it all up.

I've also cloned my hac to M2M, but same bouncing icons. Will try and clone to a SATA disk next. If that works the problem has to be with NVMe somewhere. Perhaps the system doesn't like having a 970 EVO and a 970 EVO Plus simultaneously. Also will remove M2M disk and see how that goes.

There are several really good choices, but each has a different complement of ports. The OWC 14-port dock that I use is excellent for my needs. It has superb build quality and matches almost exactly the color scheme of my Phanteks anthracite gray case. It does not have 10Gbit Ethernet, but more common 1Gbit Ethernet. OWC periodically discounts this to about USD$230.

Latest Akitio dock features 10Gbit Ethernet if that’s important. Some docks even provide legacy ports such as eSATA. And others have vertical form factors such as the Plugable.

So the choice of a dock is based foremost on its complement of ports. All of them are good solid choices.

Edit: Fixed typos and added product links.
Not to sidetrack, but anyone have experience with Caldigit TS3 plus? Expensive but looks to have everything and support 2 x 4k monitors...

Ouch!! The two highlighted power connections are required. The 4-pin connector marked ATX_12V_2X2 is optional, but required for overclocking.

I'll put this into the build guide later today. Wonder if anyone else with an unstable system omitted the 8-pin ATX_12V_2X4 connector.

View attachment 412474
I have not used the 2x2 12V as you said, because I dont use overclocking on my ASRock extreme4 z390 board; but I will connect it anyway when I am at home with the new PSU....

With Layout ID 16 front audio panel is always recognized as “internal speaker” and obviously has a heavy compressor effect applied to the audio, which makes sense for a tiny internal speaker but sounds bad and unnatural on headphones etc.
I am a sound-engineer so this naturally bothered me ;)
So I changed to layout 7 and all rear-jacks are still correctly recognized. But now when I plug-in my headphone in the front-panel the selected audio device name changes from “internal speakers” to “headphone”, just like it did for the green rear jack in layout16 already.
This is the only difference I found between 7 and 16. ID7 should be better for most users, because the front-port works normally and the green rear port is muted when the front-jack is occupied. So you can run an analogue aux cable from the back of the PC to your stereo that is auto-muted when using a headphone :)
Perhaps other users can confirm this advantage from layout ID7 over 16?!

Either way I want to thank you for your ongoing efforts, I got a designare 390 board for €150 and the i7 for €300 and
planned this weekend to install and try to get everything to work. Thanks to this thread I was done by friday evening after just 2 hours. Everything works - Fantastic!
Hi. This is very interesting!
Is it as simple as changing the "audio inject" from 16 to 7 and keeping "ResetHDA" checked?
Thanks

With Samsung's Magician software on Windows, one can install the latest firmware on the EVO 970 Plus, which fixes the problems that affected macOS.
So I read. Just tried cloning my setup to an internal SATA SSD, that ran fine.
So USB 3 and SATA setups work, NVMe (either m2m or m2p, either 970 EVO or 970 EVO Plus) does not.

Tried updating the firmware again through the USB iso, but it said my 970 EVO Plus was already on the latest version.

Anyway, I'll be returning the EVO Plus, and I'll receive a new 970 EVO (normal) somewhere in the next days. Will swap it with the evo plus and see how things improve.

We strongly recommend the Fenvi FV-T919 because it is just plug-and-play. Please copy the 3 kexts to /Library/Extensions and run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel cache. Then reboot and try again.

For further troubleshooting on your card, please see this guide.

The Nito+ is discouraged, but the Sapphire Pulse is recommended.

IOReg file indicates that MOTU (Mark of the Unicorn) is attached to DSB1, but of course no drivers are loaded. The device itself is presenting itself to the system (Vendor ID = 0x137A).
View attachment 412895

Have you installed the accompanying drivers and updated the firmware as described here?

View attachment 412896

Here's the feedback from another user with this device:

Hey.

1. WiFi: Success! I swapped the WiFi Card for an ASUS PCE-AC68 which is Plug and Play. Minus one problem.

2. GPU: I also throw in an Sapphire 580 Pulse but the problem persists. do i have to patch anything backwards since i set Platform ID to 0x3E980003 ?

3. Thunderbolt: Success! (thanks for the Firmware tip)

Thank you for your effort so far!

Just got a Sapphire Pulse 8GB RX 580 and have had an issue with initial video boot.

I get to the Apple logo, get the purple lines that reading seem to be normal, then I lose video out. I am using HDMI out the video card to an LG TV.

I can remote in, set the resolution to 1920x1080 with a 30Hz or lower refresh rate, and this turns the video on. Oddly, now that I activated video out this way, I can select any resolution without issues, until I reboot and have to do this again, unless I stay at 30Hz or lower.

I get full acceleration in VideoProc and it seems to be working, other than this on boot issue.
Many recent TVs feature an HDMI port with reduced latency for gaming. This port tends to work best with computers. This should be mentioned in the user manual (which is usually available online as a PDF). Have you tried iterating through all of the HDMI ports on the TV?

Another issue is that I have the Z390 Designare+Fractal Design Define R6 case, and this video card covers the upper PCIe X1 slot entirely (and the upper M.2 slot, but that's no big deal as you can at least put the SSD in first, which I already did before getting the GPU).
Unfortunately we do lose the top x1 PCIe slot when a double-wide GPU is installed. With the existence of both Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3 it is not very likely that you'll run out of PCIe slots. Thunderbolt, in particular, is like a PCIe x4 slot. Because we have 2 of these ports, we have two "external" PCIe slots. In addition to eGPUs, there are external Thunderbolt 3 enclosures that contain nothing but empty PCIe slots. I really wouldn't worry about running out of slots.

Here's a Google search result: "thunderbolt pcie expansion box"

I see the case is designed to offer a vertical GPU mount. On top of losing a PCIe X1 slot, the GPU being extremely close to my CPU cooler. If I mount the GPU vertically, will this free up all my PCI slots without covering them? I only have the GPU and a PCIe X1 adapter for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth currently but would like to keep as much expansion capability as possible.

If a verticle mount would work, any recommendations? I see Fractal Design has one for the case, but stock is hard to find and I hear there are cheaper options.
Vertical GPU mounts tend to cover up all of the PCIe slots. If you use a vertical mount, all of your PCIe slots may become unusable.

Back