Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

This gives me an interesting homework assignment for tonight. :) I think baby steps are the way forward. If we cram too much into our SSDT at once then we no longer have a controlled experiment in which a particular cause is associated with a particular effect. The Thunderbolt-on-PCH node (TbtOnPch) does seem like a good place to start.
Go Casey Go! My need for TB3 is to keep my mass storage out side the chassis, Using this I can share with my MB Pro and maintain speed etc. I intend to keep my displays connected to the RX-580. I have a TB3 equipped laptop at work with Win10 and I am using a TB3 doc and it's Display Port out to a 4K monitor. It is 30% finicky with Windows sleeping wake up etc. But so is Win10. I have the RAID Drives showing up today for my OWC TB3 4-bay external enclosure. I'll post speed results when I get it all going. @AlexD Are you the same Alex4D that does Final Cut Pro stuff?
Jules

Managed to get UHD 630 working with hardware acceleration (i5-9600K, MSI 390M) (finally) using latest macmini(8,1) SMBIOS; however DisplayPort output resulting in screen flickering and loss of signal until it stops entirely.

I will try other SMBIOS to see if that resolves.

Managed to get UHD 630 working with hardware acceleration (i5-9600K, MSI 390M) (finally) using latest macmini(8,1) SMBIOS; however DisplayPort output resulting in screen flickering and loss of signal until it stops entirely.

I will try other SMBIOS to see if that resolves.
Sounds like a promising start!!

So:
  • HDMI output works?
  • DP output works?
But:
  • HDMI --> no flickering, no freezing?
  • DP --> has flickering and freezing?
For the benefit of others who have this motherboard, can you please upload just the Devices --> Properties section of the config.plist or re-generate the patch from FB-Patcher and upload it inside a CODE block.

I'm not sure why my Thunderbolt connection is still not working. I have to admit that this is not a simple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 3 connection. I do use an official Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 Adapter for my Universal Audio Apollo Quad (Silverface Version with Thunderbolt 1 Card). The Thunderbolt 1 cable is also an official Apple product.

My Thunderbolt BIOS settings are:

Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Support : Enabled
TBT VT-d base security: Disabled
Thunderbolt Boot support: Disabled
Wake From Thunderbolt(TM) Devices: Enabled
Security Level: No Security
Thunderbolt USB Support: Enabled
GPIO3 Force Pwr Enabled
DTBT Controller 0 Configuration was left unaltered

Here are some of the "Thunderbolt" screenshots I took:

Screenshot 2019-01-09 at 21.02.10.png

Screenshot 2019-01-09 at 21.03.50.png

Should there be any thunderbolt drivers loaded?

My Apollo Audio Interface still doesn't get recognized. I know that owners of the newer Apollos (starting with the first blackface) had connected their devices successfully to the Thunderbolt 3 ports, but those Apollos, as far as I know, are using Thunderbolt 2 cards instead of Thunderbolt 1, so this might be the root of the problem...

I've made some changes to my EFI folder after I reread the post-installation guide from the original post.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    24.1 MB · Views: 116
Good night you guys,

today i did the jump without parachute. I took the system to its first live show.

1 HD Screen, 1 2k screen, 2 20000ANSI Full HD Beamers, 2 SDI In Full HD Live Cameras, 2 HDMI in Videofeeds from MacBooks, some Videofiles on the system. Everything connected to the system with AMD 580, Blackmagic Decklink 4k Extreme PCIe Card and Blackmagic Recorder PCIE Cards. Controlled and mixed in Resolume Arena with independent Video content on both Beamers. Video in 1080p50Hz

Normally i do this with a professional Video Mixer, but i wanted to know if the hackintosh can do i.

I really was near a heart attack before the show but ---- !!!!Everything worked!!!!

Yiihaaaaaa

Last edited:
I'm not sure why my Thunderbolt connection is still not working. I have to admit that this is not a simple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 3 connection. I do use an official Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 Adapter for my Universal Audio Apollo Quad (Silverface Version with Thunderbolt 1 Card). The Thunderbolt 1 cable is also an official Apple product.

My Thunderbolt BIOS settings are:

Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Support : Enabled
TBT VT-d base security: Disabled
Thunderbolt Boot support: Disabled
Wake From Thunderbolt(TM) Devices: Enabled
Security Level: No Security
Thunderbolt USB Support: Enabled
GPIO3 Force Pwr Enabled
DTBT Controller 0 Configuration was left unaltered
These are all okay.

Should there be any thunderbolt drivers loaded?
That page will always show No Drivers Loaded. Instead, have a look at System Information --> PCI.

My Apollo Audio Interface still doesn't get recognized. I know that owners of the newer Apollos (starting with the first blackface) had connected their devices successfully to the Thunderbolt 3 ports, but those Apollos, as far as I know, are using Thunderbolt 2 cards instead of Thunderbolt 1, so this might be the root of the problem...

I've made some changes to my EFI folder after I reread the post-installation guide from the original post.
The sample IOReg in the screenshot is actually the bare minimum -- and it shows no detected devices. Only the controller itself appears in the tree. Because Thunderbolt 2 and Thunderbolt 3 devices by Universal Audio seem to work fine (several of them have been tested successfully), I would tend to agree with your assessment about compatibility with Thunderbolt 1.

As @AlexD pointed out earlier today, a real 2018 Mac with Thunderbolt 3 (e.g., MacBook Pro 2018) has both the older Alpine Ridge controller and the newer Titan Ridge controller. It's very curious why Apple chose to keep the old controller, and we're wondering whether it has something to do with maintaining compatibility with old Thunderbolt 1 and 2 devices. If that's true, then our Titan Ridge based system might simply not work with some of those older devices. BUT we don't know this for sure.

Hi,

I build a Hackintosh very close to the build with Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI and i7-9700K. It was a pleasure to follow @CaseySJ instructions. I encountered a problem in forgetting to apply the slide=0 osxaptiofix2drv-free2000 -v for all boot stages. My Hackintosh was booting all the time to stage 2 of installation. Also I tested a lot with usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 usb devices. USB 3.0 device worked for one time only showing as legacy UEFI device. Noname USB drive did nt work but a good USB 2.0 drive worked all day.

@casey: I've not figured out yet how you applied to right CPU to the "about Mac" overview while using Mac mini 8.1. All other things worked for me including the nice workaround for FinalCutPro.

Finally I start looking into a proper USB SSDTs.

@casey: I've not figured out yet how you applied to right CPU to the "about Mac" overview while using Mac mini 8.1. All other things worked for me including the nice workaround for FinalCutPro
Glad to hear the procedure was helpful! In my "About" box, the Processor is still "Unknown". There is a procedure to change this, but I haven't done it so far because I don't know if there will be any bad consequences. See Changing the Processor Name here:

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/01/13/how-to-modify-about-this-mac-hackintosh/
Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 5.56.35 PM.png

Finally I start looking into a proper USB SSDTs.
That will fix your USB 3.0 problems!

congrat casey. but your DTPG.aml source from KGP's code not CJOE.
CJOE has been stolen that file. btw should be change author name of SSDT-DTPG.aml from CJOE to KGP.

how do you think?

Back