Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Which do I choose?
I would go with MSI with DDR3. That should work OOB with no problems. I've also heard a few people report that the Asus GDDR5 models will work with Catalina/Big Sur.

Last edited:
They have both the Asus with GDDR5 and MSI with DDR3. Which do I choose?
I just picked up the Asus 2gb GDDR5 It works. I have the MSI 1gb DDR3 as well. They both work and for $4 more the Asus is a better value.

They have both the Asus with GDDR5 and MSI with DDR3. Which do I choose?
I just picked up the Asus with GDDR5 and can confirm it works in Big Sur.
The Corporate Stable Model (CSM).

3B9FE509-37EA-45D8-A4C7-15D44714C5C2.jpeg

I would go with MSI with DDR3. That should work OOB with no problems.

I just picked up the Asus 2gb GDDR5 It works. I have the MSI 1gb DDR3 as well. They both work and for $4 more the Asus is a better value.
Now you're both confusing me! Asus 2gb for $55, 1gb $45; MSI 2gb $70, 1gb $65. I think it's the Asus 2gb? (It's not the CSM.) But you brought it up, @trs96: what might be the issue with GDDR5?

Last edited:
Now you're both confusing me! Asus 2gb for $55, 1gb $45; MSI 2gb $70, 1gb $65. I think it's the Asus 2gb? But you brought it up, @trs96: what might be the issue with GDDR5?
Most of the GDDR5 models don't or didn't work in MacOS, DDR3 cards worked. The issue is these cards were released with DDR3 and then later upgraded to GDDR5 but with a lower memory bus width. This made them incompatible with OS. Some people reported their GGDR5 models working but up until recently we haven't really seen it documented. With the non-availability of anything AMD, it makes these cards more attractive now. The Asus has been showing up working lately so I picked one up for $54 US to test.

Asus GT 710 2GB GDDR5 (CSM). Geekbench Metal.png

GT 710 Asus 2GB Abot this Mac.png

GT 710 Asus.png

Last edited:
Most of the GDDR5 models don't or didn't work in MacOS, DDR3 cards worked. The issue is these cards were released with DDR3 and then later upgraded to GDDR5 but with a lower memory bus width. This made them incompatible with OS. Some people reported their GGDR5 models working but up until recently we haven't really seen it documented. With the non-availability of anything AMD, it makes these cards more attractive now. The Asus has been showing up working lately so I picked one up for $54 US to test.

View attachment 515863

View attachment 515864

View attachment 515865
Do you use any special settings? The boot arg "shikigva=40", for example?

No I just plugged it in. Current WEG and lilu, no boot arg.
Do you think that potential buyers need to get the Asus CSM model for it to work ?
Will all Asus GDDR5 models work like this, OOB ?

Do you think that potential buyers need to get the Asus CSM model for it to work ?
Will all Asus GDDR5 models work like this, OOB ?
Not sure so that's why I posted the CSM bit. If anyone has a different model working please chime in. Amazing they are still making and selling these cards.

Back