Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Any other suggestions?
You certainly gave it a valiant effort.

I just followed the same procedure to the letter, including use of HackinDROM to transfer serial numbers, and the HDMI port worked immediately. Took me less than 5 minutes. Only difference is that I didn't disable my AMD RX 580, so you can see two monitors below. I'm also on OpenCore 0.6.6.

With IORegistryExplorer we can see that IGPU is both accelerated (AppleIntelFramebuffer is attached to it) and has a display connected to Index 2 (HDMI).

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 5.05.06 AM.png

Platform ID must be 0x3E9B0007, which is already specified in config-Intel-iGPU.plist. If you are using OpenCore 0.6.5, then note that OpenCore Configurator 2.26.0.0 must be used instead of 2.27.0.0.

Another option is simply this:
  • Open your original config.plist (the one that works with Vega) in OpenCore Configurator
  • Open config-Intel-iGPU.plist at the same time (also with OpenCore Configurator)
    • This file is in the OpenCore ZIP file downloaded from the mini-guide
  • Now you have two config files on screen simultaneously
  • Click on PlatformInfo --> DataHub in both windows
  • Now copy-and-paste the credentials from one to the other
  • Save config-Intel-iGPU.plist
  • Rename the existing config.plist to something like config-VEGA.plist
  • Rename config-Intel-iGPU.plist to config.plist
  • Reboot
  • Check if HDMI port works (use only HDMI-to-HDMI cable and a computer monitor -- not a TV)

I just followed the same procedure to the letter, including use of HackinDROM to transfer serial numbers, and the HDMI port worked immediately. Took me less than 5 minutes. Only difference is that I didn't disable my AMD RX 580, so you can see two monitors below. I'm also on OpenCore 0.6.6.
Thank you so much. What do you mean by you didn't disable the AMD RX 580? Do you mean you didn't unplug it from power? So you actually just connected a HDMI to the internal port?

In your configuration there is a DisplayPort cable in the RX 580 and a HDMI cable in the Intel onboard?

Wow, that last one got me tickled. It works great! See attached image. I followed the following steps:
- Using your pre-made EFI on 0.6.6 where OpenCanopy is being used
- You need a file named 'Background.icns' and/or 'ModernBackground.icns' (depending on which icon pack you're using).
- You can convert a PNG file to icns file using a handy tool: https://github.com/chris1111/Icnspack-Builder
- Just make sure you use a big image (pixel wise).

View attachment 508087

- Place the Background.icns in the following folder: EFI/OC/Resources/Image
- Reboot and voila!
- Once in the bootscreen, use F10 to make the print screen, which you can then find in the EFI folder again.
Thank you !!!
06142021.png

Obviously I had to adjust the config.plist -> ACPI; Kernel ---> Kexts; UEFI Settings -> UEFI Drivers, and the contents of the corresponding folders of course, to adjust it to my own configuration.

Thanks for the feedback!
Actually I don't know which parameters to take from user's config.plist into Casey's because Caseys make the updates and he knows which one is the best option for example for Z390 AMD GPU.

In next version im planning to keep *custom .aml .kext into ACPI Kext and config.plist
custom = which isn't present in Caseys configuration

Please guys let me know
@CaseySJ

Last edited:

With IORegistryExplorer we can see that IGPU is both accelerated (AppleIntelFramebuffer is attached to it) and has a display connected to Index 2 (HDMI).

View attachment 508114

Platform ID must be 0x3E9B0007, which is already specified in config-Intel-iGPU.plist. If you are using OpenCore 0.6.5, then note that OpenCore Configurator 2.26.0.0 must be used instead of 2.27.0.0.

Another option is simply this:
  • Open your original config.plist (the one that works with Vega) in OpenCore Configurator
  • Open config-Intel-iGPU.plist at the same time (also with OpenCore Configurator)
    • This file is in the OpenCore ZIP file downloaded from the mini-guide
  • Now you have two config files on screen simultaneously
  • Click on PlatformInfo --> DataHub in both windows
  • Now copy-and-paste the credentials from one to the other
  • Save config-Intel-iGPU.plist
  • Rename the existing config.plist to something like config-VEGA.plist
  • Rename config-Intel-iGPU.plist to config.plist
  • Reboot
  • Check if HDMI port works (use only HDMI-to-HDMI cable and a computer monitor -- not a TV)
Success! for now.

I cleaned up the downloaded plist from HackinDROM so it doesn't refer to SSDTs I didn't have, now it magically works. The DELL monitor is on the Intel. It only sees as full HD, but actually its higher resolution. I had this problems with the screen on real macs too.

So I didn't disconnect the VEGA yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-06 at 16.25.51.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-06 at 16.25.51.png
    122.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot 2021-02-06 at 16.31.01.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-06 at 16.31.01.png
    122 KB · Views: 56
Success! for now.

I cleaned up the downloaded plist from HackinDROM so it doesn't refer to SSDTs I didn't have, now it magically works. The DELL monitor is on the Intel. It only sees as full HD, but actually its higher resolution. I had this problems with the screen on real macs too.

So I didn't disconnect the VEGA yet.
Does mediaanalysisd still crash the system? If so, now would be a good time to power down, disconnect Vega, power back, and check media analysis daemon again.

Does mediaanalysisd still crash the system? If so, now would be a good time to power down, disconnect Vega, power back, and check media analysis daemon again.
This looks good! We're coming close! No crash anymore. You can see on the picture, that high load which mediaanalysisd is producing on the intel GPU, this was the same before, it was just layed on the Vega. And that's where it always crashed.

So what do to now? I don't want to have my screen connected to the iGFX. And I noticed one more thing, I have problems connecting USB 3 harddisks on this configuration. But that's another problem.

For now, I just want to go back, but then the iGFX is not recognized and mediaanalysisd will crash again.

Attachments

• imgonline-com-ua-dexifrg0n2FUSluxA.jpg
    imgonline-com-ua-dexifrg0n2FUSluxA.jpg
    979.1 KB · Views: 64
This looks good! We're coming close! No crash anymore. You can see on the picture, that high load which mediaanalysisd is producing on the intel GPU, this was the same before, it was just layed on the Vega. And that's where it always crashed.

So what do to now? I don't want to have my screen connected to the iGFX. And I noticed one more thing, I have problems connecting USB 3 harddisks on this configuration. But that's another problem.

For now, I just want to go back, but then the iGFX is not recognized and mediaanalysisd will crash again.
With on-board HDMI enabled and Vega GPU fully installed as well, does the system crash?

Back