Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Yes please use OpenCore 0.6.5.

If you open your existing Clover config.plist in Clover Configurator and the OpenCore config.plist in OpenCore Configurator, you can simple copy-and-paste the credentials as follows:

View attachment 504684
Hi.
I was also wondering the same questions.
I receive an error at point 5 when I try to generate a ROM number (error is saying that system UUID is not correct but I triple checked and it is the one I am using under Mojave with Clover.
Can I use the ROM number of my Mojave build ? (I can see my Rom number with hackintool).
Thanks.

Hi.
I was also wondering the same questions.
I receive an error at point 5 when I try to generate a ROM number (error is saying that system UUID is not correct but I triple checked and it is the one I am using under Mojave with Clover.
Can I use the ROM number of my Mojave build ? (I can see my Rom number with hackintool).
Thanks.
Yes you can definitely copy-and-paste the existing ROM value from Clover.

Extracted DROM
Code:
0x37, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x31,
0x00, 0xA7, 0xE0, 0x0B, 0x29, 0x01, 0x69, 0x00,
0x31, 0x00, 0x06, 0x50, 0x01, 0x38, 0x08, 0x81,
0x80, 0x02, 0x80, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x08, 0x82,
0x90, 0x01, 0x80, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x08, 0x83,
0x80, 0x04, 0x80, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x08, 0x84,
0x90, 0x03, 0x80, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x05, 0x85,
0x50, 0x00, 0x00, 0x05, 0x86, 0x50, 0x00, 0x00,
0x02, 0xC7, 0x0B, 0x88, 0x20, 0x01, 0x00, 0x64,
0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x89, 0x80,
0x05, 0x8A, 0x50, 0x00, 0x00, 0x05, 0x8B, 0x50,
0x00, 0x00, 0x07, 0x01, 0x41, 0x53, 0x55, 0x53,
0x00, 0x15, 0x02, 0x54, 0x48, 0x55, 0x4E, 0x44,
0x45, 0x52, 0x42, 0x4F, 0x4C, 0x54, 0x45, 0x58,
0x20, 0x33, 0x2D, 0x54, 0x52, 0x00

@CaseySJ Looks like a Titan Ridge?
Yes, it's Titan Ridge. The letters "3-TR" imply that too I suppose.

Hello @chris77555,

Welcome to the forum. However, I have to caution you very strongly against flashing the Thunderbolt firmware. At the top of the Z490 Vision D build guide, we have this note/warning:

View attachment 504466

I know you have an Apple Thunderbolt Display, but it is very old now and there are lots of wonderful 27-inch monitors on the market today at very competitive prices. They offer HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.2/1.4, and even USB-C. Some have speakers and USB hubs built in.

Thunderbolt monitors are very unreliable on a Hackintosh. There are too many user complaints, which is why I added that note (NOTE 8c).

Additionally, flashing the Thunderbolt firmware is a risky operation and should only be done by experienced users.

I know it's tempting and even exciting to try and flash the Thunderbolt firmware, but I believe this is not a justified reason for doing so.
Thunderbolt Display works very well with the same old ThunderboltEX II/DUAL card.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 23.49.27.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 23.49.27.png
    107.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 23.50.09.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 23.50.09.png
    179.4 KB · Views: 66
I saw there was some more discussion on the Apple TBD, so I wanted to update my previous post with some new information.

I had used the TR add-on card(AIC) with my Apple TBD for 4-5 months using the GC-TITAN-RIDGE-NVM23-Elias64Fr.bin firmware flash and various SSDTs. I tried various clover options, open core setups, but consistently had issues with the monitor not turning on reliably at cold boot, after sleep, or during a restart. I could always unplug the thunderbolt cable and plug it back in again to wake the display back up, but doing that sometimes multiple times a day was getting irritating.

Then I tried Alpine Ridge AIC, unflashed. My understanding from posts from @scottkendall and others was the flashed firmware did not support video pass through. Although Alpine Ridge had a nice benefit that the screen turned on at post, I had issues with sleep. After the machine went to sleep, the thunderbolt bus disconnected, so the Apple TBD speakers, camera, etc wouldn't work until the machine was restarted again. I tried many SSDTs, but could not resolve this issue and the behavior was always the same. I also had issues where the machine would not stay asleep(I could get one successful sleep, but subsequent sleeps would be interrupted by "DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDN] due to /:") . The sleep issue was too annoying to keep using Alpine Ridge.

Back to the Titan Ridge AIC, but I decided to try the DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin firmware on my Titan Ridge 1.0 AIC. I did this based on some posts here by @scottkendall and others on Macrumors that the DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin seemed to function the best of all the firmwares. Wow! The issue with the display not turning on reliably has gone away. I can also restart the machine and have the display stay on 100% of the time. This makes it much easier to get into the bios, or boot into windows. With the
GC-TITAN-RIDGE-NVM23-Elias64Fr.bin I had maybe a 50% success rate of the monitor staying on at restart, which usually meant multiple restart attempts before I could see the picker view or see the bios screen. The thunderbolt bus appears to be active with the DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin firmware. I have gone as far as plugging in my MacBook Pro with a TB cable (in target disk mode) into my Apple TBD and successfully had it appear on the desktop.

Obviously I am using the Z390 Gaming M mother board with the Titan Ridge 1.0 AIC, which doesn't apply to many people on this thread, but I will say the Apple TBD works very well now using the DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin firmware. I also learned that you do not need to plug in the power supply cable into the Titan Ridge card. I think that is only needed if you plug in devices that need more than 40W of power(Alpine Ridge doesn't have those connectors and can deliver 40W). This simplifies the cable management. I do need to have the USB 2.0 pass through cable plugged into the motherboard or the machine will restart when trying to shut down.

Here is my update Pros/Cons with the Designare firmware and Titan Ridge.

Flashed Titan Ridge 1.0 AIC with DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin

Pros:
- Display turns on reliably
- Apple USB bus within the monitor stays active after sleep, maintaining speakers, camera, USB ports on back of display
- Active TB bus that supports hot swapping
- Sleep works normally

Cons:

- Display doesn't turn on till part way through the boot up cycle on cold boot.
- Requires a second monitor or ghost plug to boot into Mac OS. One detail with the ghost plug is that it is not HDCP compliant, so once the machine boots up, if you want to watch content that has DRM(Disney+, Amazon, etc), you need to unplug it. Once the Apple Display turns on, it isn't needed until the next time you boot up from a shutdown. I have the monitors set to mirror, so there isn't an issue with the cursor going off the screen or anything like that.
- Monitor does not always turn on after sleep. Requires unplugging the TB cable and plugging back in to wake display up. Speakers and USB 2.0 devices in display still work after doing the hot plug.
- More cable management required and larger footprint. Needs power supply cable and USB 2.0 header cable.

Unflashed Apple Ridge Card 2.0 AIC:

Pros:

- Apple TBD turns on at post. Allowing for bios modifications or choosing a different operating system.
- Fewer cables to connect(no USB 2.0 header cable and no requirement for an additional power supply cable).
- No flashing required to use an apple TBD.
- Monitor turns on reliably after sleep and restart
- Sleep works normally

Cons:
- USB 2.0 bus disappears after sleep along with other thunderbolt devices in the display. Speakers, Ethernet, USB hub on display, FaceTime camera stop working after sleep. Needs a restart to reeenable.
- Machine Darkwakes after USB 2.0 bus disappears with message " DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDN] due to /: "
By Flashed TR AIC card which card you mean specifically?

I have ThunderboltEX II/DUAL cards on ASUS Z490-E Strix and my ATB works with it with several problems.

- No signal on POST. So until Catalina boots up you won't see anything. BUT I think it's because of my old GTX 690 card. The RTX 2080 Ti fires up ATB at POST with no problems, but doesn't work in macOS you know.

I want to replace gfx card for macOS with RX580 (too expensive even used because of crazy miners) or try to use single-GPU GTX 780/Ti (the best nvidia card still supported by macOS). Maybe it would be able to turn on ATB on POST and further;

- USB 2.0 devices are dropped when the computer goes sleep or ATB reconnected to AIC;

- Brightness control issues. Automatic control doesn't work. If you try to change brightness via System Preferences, the display goes black and you need to reconnect it (see another issue with this above). So I use a free Brightness Slider app to set brightness, but don't move slider too fast, otherwise the display can go black too. Also brightness keys don't work well: display goes black, but turns on after a while.

I also have ThunderboltEX 3-TR card and it never worked with ATB + TB3-TB2 adapter even in Windows. Is it worth to try to flash it? I don't see custom firmwares here. It has Titan Ridge JHL 7540 chip onboard. Or it's better to keep an old TB2 card for ATB?

By Flashed TR AIC card which card you mean specifically?

I have ThunderboltEX II/DUAL cards on ASUS Z490-E Strix and my ATB works with it with several problems.

- No signal on POST. So until Catalina boots up you won't see anything. BUT I think it's because of my old GTX 690 card. The RTX 2080 Ti fires up ATB at POST with no problems, but doesn't work in macOS you know.

I want to replace gfx card for macOS with RX580 (too expensive even used because of crazy miners) or try to use single-GPU GTX 780/Ti (the best nvidia card still supported by macOS). Maybe it would be able to turn on ATB on POST and further;

- USB 2.0 devices are dropped when the computer goes sleep or ATB reconnected to AIC;

- Brightness control issues. Automatic control doesn't work. If you try to change brightness via System Preferences, the display goes black and you need to reconnect it (see another issue with this above). So I use a free Brightness Slider app to set brightness, but don't move slider too fast, otherwise the display can go black too. Also brightness keys don't work well: display goes black, but turns on after a while.

I also have ThunderboltEX 3-TR card and it never worked with ATB + TB3-TB2 adapter even in Windows. Is it worth to try to flash it? I don't see custom firmwares here. It has Titan Ridge JHL 7540 chip onboard. Or it's better to keep an old TB2 card for ATB?

I am using the Gigabyte TR Card Rev 1.0 that is flashed with the NVM33 Designare firmware.

- I also do not have a signal till part way through the boot. Using an RX-580 will not fix this. I have a RX-590. I am not aware of anyone who can get the Apple TB Display to turn on at post with Titan Ridge. It will turn on at post with Alpine Ridge.

- I do not have a problem with USB 2.0 devices dropping after sleep.

- Brightness control is sometimes possible and sometimes not. I have not investigated why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Hi @CaseySJ
Is it actually possible to get the bootup chime to play through the Optical/Digital output? I could get it working via the analogue outputs using Audio Out = 1 in OC settings but not sure if it was possible via the Digital/Optical Out.

Hi @CaseySJ
Is it actually possible to get the bootup chime to play through the Optical/Digital output? I could get it working via the analogue outputs using Audio Out = 1 in OC settings but not sure if it was possible via the Digital/Optical Out.
I have not tried this myself, but the procedure would be to test different values of AudioOut in the UEFI --> Audio section. Have you tried other values besides 1?

I have not tried this myself, but the procedure would be to test different values of AudioOut in the UEFI --> Audio section. Have you tried other values besides 1?
I have tried 0 as well. I might give them all a try and see how I go.

Back