Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I may have missed a memo, but can I apply this patch and SSDT's and expect networking (NHI) functionality over the onboard TB3 of the X299 Designare, or is this only for hotplug compatibility?

PS: My profile says X299X, it's a different board.
I don't think that SSDT will work on the X299X because, if I recall correctly, the X299X contains Titan Ridge instead of Alpine Ridge.

For the Designare X299X, we can flash the Thunderbolt firmware as described here:

I don't think that SSDT will work on the X299X because, if I recall correctly, the X299X contains Titan Ridge instead of Alpine Ridge.

For the Designare X299X, we can flash the Thunderbolt firmware as described here:

I'm sorry, I didn't word myself very clearly. I have both the Designare X299 and X299X. I'm looking for networking (NHI) on the X299. Is this it?

Good to know the same is possible on the X299X. Thunderbolt has been such a pile of crap throughout the years :O

Since I switched to Opencore as the bootloader, I have been given iMac 19.1 as the system ID under Windows 10 and two ACPI devices are displayed in the device manager.
After copying the EFI from the Opencore Bootstick to the EFI on the MacOS installation, I selected the bootstrap.efi file in the folder EFI\ OC\ bootstrap\.
Because my first selection the file opencore.efi in the folder EFI\OC\ did not load a boot menu selection.

Somehow I feel like I made a rookie mistake. I am grateful for any help.

I'm sorry, I didn't word myself very clearly. I have both the Designare X299 and X299X. I'm looking for networking (NHI) on the X299. Is this it?

Good to know the same is possible on the X299X. Thunderbolt has been such a pile of crap throughout the years :O
NHI refers to the Thunderbolt Native Host Interface. This device is already present in your IOReg. I believe you're looking for Thunderbolt Bus, which enables such features as Thunderbolt Networking and Target Disk Mode. If you are trying to connect two Macs or Hacks together using a single Thunderbolt cable, then you're referring to Thunderbolt Networking.

To activate Thunderbolt Bus on the Gigabyte Designare X299, simply follow the spoiler that you referenced in your previous post.

Since I switched to Opencore as the bootloader, I have been given iMac 19.1 as the system ID under Windows 10 and two ACPI devices are displayed in the device manager.
After copying the EFI from the Opencore Bootstick to the EFI on the MacOS installation, I selected the bootstrap.efi file in the folder EFI\ OC\ bootstrap\.
Because my first selection the file opencore.efi in the folder EFI\OC\ did not load a boot menu selection.

Somehow I feel like I made a rookie mistake. I am grateful for any help.
Can you please state the problem?

x299x Designare10G is flashable for sure. But I've tried X299 Designare, the situation is as described. Maybe I'm not smart enough...

thanks for confirming, @oreoapple. what a bummer... so i'm guessing you had no choice but to go down the SSDT route with the X299 Designare EX?

@CaseySJ :

...simply follow the spoiler that you referenced in your previous post.

I've followed the spoiler, and sent you my findings, along with AICP & IOReg. TB is not hot-pluggable – should it be?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Can you please state the problem?
a) Is the choice of the bootstrap.efi file correct or would I have to select a different file in the opencore EFI?
b) Why do the two unknown ACPI devices appear under Windows 10 and the system ID is iMac 19.1?

Attachments

• Geräte.JPG
    Geräte.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Treiber ACPI.JPG
    Treiber ACPI.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 58
  • AIDA.JPG
    AIDA.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 50
thanks for confirming, @oreoapple. what a bummer... so i'm guessing you had no choice but to go down the SSDT route with the X299 Designare EX?

@CaseySJ :

I've followed the spoiler, and sent you my findings, along with AICP & IOReg. TB is not hot-pluggable – should it be?

Thank you!
Unfortunately every motherboard and Thunderbolt controller exhibit various idiosyncrasies. To a large extent we discover what the issues are and try to find workarounds. We may also conclude that the problems outweigh the benefits, in which case we can remove the SSDT or restore the original Thunderbolt firmware.

Something else to try would be a Thunderbolt add-in-card such as GC-Alpine Ridge or GC-Titan Ridge from Gigabyte, and flash the firmware. It too won't be perfect, but it may exhibit fewer idiosyncrasies.

The best Thunderbolt behavior on a Hackintosh continues to be the Gigabyte Designare Z390 with flashed NVM 33.

a) Is the choice of the bootstrap.efi file correct or would I have to select a different file in the opencore EFI?
The only file that should be present in the bootstrap folder is bootstrap.efi. When we set Misc --> Security --> BootProtect to Bootstrap, then bootstrap.efi is invoked. It's an alternative to the standard BOOTx64.efi. Because Windows has a nasty habit of replacing BOOTx64.efi with a version that boots directly into Windows, enabling Bootstrap allows the OpenCore Picker to start up instead.
b) Why do the two unknown ACPI devices appear under Windows 10 and the system ID is iMac 19.1?
These unknown devices are normal -- they appear on my system as well and can be ignored. Because I have Fenvi FV-T919 for which I have not installed Windows drivers, I see even more unknown devices in Windows Device Manager.

I am using the GC-TitanRidge for a while now on my Z390 Phantom Gaming 6 to drive my LG Ultrafine 5k. Because any USB devices attached or inside the monitor do not work after a warm boot, I decided to flash the modified firmware in order to check whether this would help. I flashed the GC-TitanRidge with the GC-TITAN-RIDGE-NVM23-Elias64Fr.bin from this thread and added the DROM + Hotpug DSDT. Everything seems to be working (Thunderbolt Bus, Port 7) with one **major** caveat:

On **every** cold boot I get no display output at all on my LG 5k until macOS has booted. After that I can warm-reboot and have display output + Thunderbolt in the BIOS, Windows, OpenCore no problem until I fully shut down.

Is this expected with this card and firmware and are there any ideas or workarounds I can try? It should be obvious that Otherwise, I would flash the old firmware back because no display output in the pre-boot environment is a no-go.

Attachments

• tbbus.png
    tbbus.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
  • tbport7.png
    tbport7.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 43
  • 60D0670F-B97B-4209-A207-B27EB17B7F04_1_105_c.jpeg
    60D0670F-B97B-4209-A207-B27EB17B7F04_1_105_c.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 40
Back