Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Did anyone notice a delay after waking from sleep after flashing Thunderbolt NVM? It takes 4 seconds more than normal now.
And it seems there's an issue when a device is drawing power from Thunderbolt, for example a MacBook. Computer performs DarkWake instantly after sleeping without any reason. That's the log for it:
2020-08-13 15:04:46 +0000 DarkWake DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDNP] : due to / Using AC (Charge:0%) 32 secs

These are the only issues I have after patching NVM.

I need your help guys

Again about my system freezes

Changing Fenvi from PCIEX1_2 to PCIEX4 helped me to have some stability with Bluetooth.
But the problem isn't Fenvi, I found the problem!

Im using OC 0.6.0.

What I tried today (Fenvi completely removed from the board) but the system still freezes:

• Explain to the policeman that im not the cyber-criminal that he's searching for
  • NVMe M2M & M2P Catalina
  • NVMe M2M & M2P Big Sur
  • XMP Profile 1
  • XMP disabled
  • NVMe.kext ON and OFF

with NVMe still on board:
Booted Catalina, and Big Sur PB installed on USB HDD, no freeze
Fresh new install of Big Sur on a SATA HDD, no freeze

So... The problem is my Samsung 970 EVO Plus (with latest firmware).
Any solution? any suggestion?

Last edited:
I need your help guys

Again about my system freezes

Changing Fenvi from PCIEX1_2 to PCIEX4 helped me to have some stability with Bluetooth.
But the problem isn't Fenvi, I found the problem!

Im using OC 0.6.0.

What I tried today (Fenvi completely removed from the board) but the system still freezes:

• Explain to the policeman that im not the cyber-criminal that he's searching for
  • NVMe M2M & M2P Catalina
  • NVMe M2M & M2P Big Sur
  • XMP Profile 1
  • XMP disabled
  • NVMe.kext ON and OFF

Booted Catalina, and Big Sur PB installed on USB HDD, no freeze
Fresh new install of Big Sur on a SATA HDD, no freeze

So... The problem is my Samsung 970 EVO Plus (with latest firmware).
Any solution? any suggestion?
Several immediate questions:
  • Have you tried a different make/model of NVMe? For example: Samsung 970 EVO (not Plus), Silicon Power, Sabrent Rocket, Crucial, WD Blue, etc.? If so, does the system freeze?
  • Have you tried at least 2 times to see if system works with 970 EVO Plus removed, but freezes with 970 EVO Plus installed?
  • Do you know the firmware version of your 970 EVO Plus?

Did anyone notice a delay after waking from sleep after flashing Thunderbolt NVM? It takes 4 seconds more than normal now.
And it seems there's an issue when a device is drawing power from Thunderbolt, for example a MacBook. Computer performs DarkWake instantly after sleeping without any reason. That's the log for it:
2020-08-13 15:04:46 +0000 DarkWake DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDNP] : due to / Using AC (Charge:0%) 32 secs

These are the only issues I have after patching NVM.
Some questions:
  • Does the delay and DarkWake issue happen when a Thunderbolt device is connected? Or also when no TB3 device is connected?
  • I wouldn’t worry about a 4 second delay.
  • When the DarkWake occurs, does the system subsequently return to full sleep after about 60 seconds?

Have you tried a different make/model of NVMe? For example: Samsung 970 EVO (not Plus), Silicon Power, Sabrent Rocket, Crucial, WD Blue, etc.? If so, does the system freeze?
I don't have another NVMe... Next buy

Have you tried at least 2 times to see if system works with 970 EVO Plus removed, but freezes with 970 EVO Plus installed?
NVME removed or installed when I boot another macOS from another way (SATA USB, SATA HDD) everything is good

Do you know the firmware version of your 970 EVO Plus?
Searched for but didn't found how to check it, from Samsungs website downloaded and installed at mid-may when I built the PC

@CaseySJ

If I flash NVMe firmware again with a fresh new downloaded file, will it erase my device?

EDIT: to force the system to not freeze, once the system is loaded I have to put the PC to sleep manually then wake it up but I don't think this is an ideal solution

Last edited:
@CaseySJ

If I flash NVMe firmware again with a fresh new downloaded file, will it erase my device?
I don't know for certain, but this is one of those cases where we should give ourselves the benefit of the doubt and make a full bootable backup first. If the system is stable without Fenvi, then remove Fenvi, install Samsung 970 EVO Plus, and make a full bootable backup. Then update the firmware.

Some questions:
  • Does the delay and DarkWake issue happen when a Thunderbolt device is connected? Or also when no TB3 device is connected?
  • I wouldn’t worry about a 4 second delay.
  • When the DarkWake occurs, does the system subsequently return to full sleep after about 60 seconds?
Wake delay happened after flashing and happens with or without any devices connected to thunderbolt. I thought GPE.TINI was the issue, and removed all 4 calls from my DSDT but it didn't do any improvements. It's not a big deal but a fast wake is a better experience overall.

DarkWake issue occurs only when MacBook is drawing power, if it's connected only without drawing power, it doesn't happen, and it wakes after 2 seconds and stays in that loop: sleep, wake after 2 seconds then sleep after 30 seconds and wake again. I don't know if there would be a better way to know the wake reason than pmset since it doesn't show it.

Hi Casey..Just bought a 4k monitor and it looks the text looks horrible.. Its not readable, there is a almost white block in the background of the text.. its very blurry.. Tried all the usual system preferences things, swapped HDMI and DP cable - same issue

Im running MOJAVE 14.4.4..

Any ideas how to fix this? Must be a driver issue

Monitor is a Samsung U32J592UQU, i know its not the bext quality monitor, but this is unusable AND it works better in windows on the same machine. thanks for your help.

I don't know for certain, but this is one of those cases where we should give ourselves the benefit of the doubt and make a full bootable backup first. If the system is stable without Fenvi, then remove Fenvi, install Samsung 970 EVO Plus, and make a full bootable backup. Then update the firmware.
I think the latest version is already installed
Screenshot 2020-08-13 at 22.45.30.png

Back