Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ: I asked here about ThunderboltConfig. Do you have something to say? Where does ThunderboltConfig come from? Thanks.
Unfortunately we were not able to decode ThunderboltConfig. We've only noticed that:
  • First byte may be Thunderbolt Bus ID
  • Last 4 bytes may represent USB-C Port Numbers for the two Thunderbolt ports; typically these would match the numbers assigned in the RHUB section of the Thunderbolt SSDT

Received the CPU today, last thing missing is the MB. Supposed to be delivered Friday.

Will maybe already buy the Quantum 2626 (financing available).

Patrice

Hello @BalajiA,

On-board HDMI no longer works in Catalina. Technically, we can still use HDMI port, but without graphics acceleration. This will cause graphics to be very painfully and slowly rendered on screen.

Because you're using a USB-C to DisplayPort cable, I assume you've set Platform ID to 0x3E9B0007?

Feel free to compress and upload your CLOVER folder, but remove serial numbers from SMBIOS section of config.plist before uploading.

Apparently, I found that it was a connection issue. I switched to the other thunderbolt port and the issue with the display went away. Now, don't see this issue with both the thunderbolt ports. Many thanks for your help. appreciate it.

Received the CPU today, last thing missing is the MB. Supposed to be delivered Friday.

Will maybe already buy the Quantum 2626 (financing available).

Patrice

Are you sure the Quantum works? I vaguely remember there was trouble with this interface at some point(not a plain PCIe device, I think). Do your research.

Let's go back to the beginning:
  • What files were either (a) added or (b) replaced in /Library/Extensions?
  • What files were either (a) added or (b) replaced in CLOVER/kexts/Other?
  • Do you have a full bootable backup? I'm afraid I already know the answer...
One solution is as follows:
  • Boot into Recovery mode again and open Terminal
  • Then type:
Code:
cd /Volumes/Mojave/Library/Extensions
ls -l
  • Post a screenshot.
  • Then type:
Code:
diskutil list
  • And post another screenshot.
  • Then I'll provide another set of Terminal commands to help you recover.
But you can also go one step further as follows:
  • In the output from diskutil list, do you see an EFI disk such as the one shown?
    View attachment 478587
  • Here we can see a disk of TYPE=EFI and NAME=EFI. Its IDENTIFIER is disk0s1.
  • Because we're booted into Recovery, we are already an "admin" user so we don't need to use "sudo". Instead we can type:
Code:
diskutil mount disk0s1
  • Just replace disk0s1 with the correct IDENTIFIER for your EFI disk.
  • Now EFI partition will be mounted to /Volumes/EFI
  • We can then check CLOVER folder as follows (note that "EFI" appears two times below):
Code:
cd /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER
ls -l
cd kexts/Other
ls -l
  • Please post a screenshot of the resulting window.
Hey CaseySJ, you always helping. Thank you!
So this is the photo of /Volumes/Mojave/Library/Extensions
IMG_8684.jpeg

Here is the /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other
IMG_8685.jpeg

All done as you said. As I said, I copied the files from EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other to /Library including the FakeSMC.kext.
I tried to use my pen drive to boot, but no deal. Thanks

Sadly it didn't work - seems something on my system doesn't like any USB 2 devices plugged in to any of the motherboard ports. Going to carry on rocking with a TB3 dock, I think.
I'm currently getting a lot of freezes in Ableton last 2 days - to the point of unworkable.. which dock do you have and is it stopping the freezing?

Sadly it didn't work - seems something on my system doesn't like any USB 2 devices plugged in to any of the motherboard ports. Going to carry on rocking with a TB3 dock, I think.

And this is with what version of BIOS? Clover or OpenCore? Have you reset your USB?
Unplug powercable/keep on/off button depressed for 30 seconds/then reapply power and boot. (tip from P1LGRIM)

I'm currently getting a lot of freezes in Ableton last 2 days - to the point of unworkable.. which dock do you have and is it stopping the freezing?

CalDigit TB3 - seems to be working well, but my freezes are so variable in timing it's a little tricky to tell until I've used the computer for a long time

And this is with what version of BIOS? Clover or OpenCore? Have you reset your USB?
Unplug powercable/keep on/off button depressed for 30 seconds/then reapply power and boot. (tip from P1LGRIM)

F8. OC 0.5.8. I'll try resetting the USB as you suggest.

Back