Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I see. Was your Thunderbolt port straight up not working as well?
I believe your Thunderbolt ports are working, but you're connecting USB-C drives to those ports (not Thunderbolt drives). The type of USB-C cable makes a significant difference -- the cable must be rated for USB 3.x. Most USB-C to USB-C cables are only capable of USB 2.0, but USB 2.0 has been turned OFF on both Thunderbolt ports.

Which configuration are you using? Are you using iMacPro 1,1? is your IGU disabled? because I have a different result when converting from HEVC to H264.
View attachment 476618

Hi there,

If previews are showing during conversion, the software will jiggle your GPU a little. Please open the CPU monitor at the same time to compare what's going on, and let (your process/task) run to completion. I think most of the issue was that there's a claim that the .ISO to .MOV or .ISO to HEVC, etc was using the dGPU rather than the CPU.

Hang on... My own GPU is wonky. IDW to lose this thread. I'll edit it in a few...

Okay, Here are some awkward screen shots. I honestly cannot remember if Compressor ever used the dGPU. On my system, FCPX uses the GPU for Background Tasks. I need to run the BruceX test again. My system definition is iMP. iGPU is disabled. Maybe I should use the 19,1? Is it the software?

Attachments

• RX580 System Info.png
    RX580 System Info.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 81
  • VLC Playback 1080p.png
    VLC Playback 1080p.png
    572.2 KB · Views: 84
  • FCPX Playback.png
    FCPX Playback.png
    470.8 KB · Views: 77
  • FCPX Background Tasks.png
    FCPX Background Tasks.png
    280.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Compressor_Well this is awkward.png
    Compressor_Well this is awkward.png
    170.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
To: @bmoney @ralphonz @jleahy2 @kellymac12 @iamjoehan

cc: @boob @ssccrab

All of you have reported USB port instability issues that occur anywhere from once a week to couple of times a day.
  • Do any of you already own a Thunderbolt 3 Dock with multiple USB ports?
  • If so, have you tried moving your 'complex' USB devices to the Thunderbolt dock?
    • Keyboard and mouse can most likely remain where they are. These are 'simple' USB devices.
Thunderbolt docks contain their own USB controller and power management firmware. Whereas most Intel-based motherboards use Intel's USB 3.x controller built into the PCH chipset, Thunderbolt docks use completely different ASMedia controllers.

Connecting 'complex' USB devices to a Thunderbolt 3 Dock might be useful in determining whether or not USB instability is due to something on the motherboard.
Hi. That sounds like it has interesting potential as a fix but I don't have a TB dock. Could using a powered USB3 hub on one of those ports accomplish the same thing?

Hello there, I am trying to search in the 2270+ posts and can't find a proper answer about the thunderbolt 3, I am using a UAD Apollo interface and I wonder if it will work with this golden build setup.
Thanks in advance ;)

Hello there, I am trying to search in the 2270+ posts and can't find a proper answer about the thunderbolt 3, I am using a UAD Apollo interface and I wonder if it will work with this golden build setup.
Thanks in advance ;)
Hello @memomem75,

Please see Thunderbolt 3 Experiences in Post #1:
In general, UAD Apollo will work. It does, however, require latest firmware on the Apollo itself and latest macOS drivers.

Hello @memomem75,

Please see Thunderbolt 3 Experiences in Post #1:
In general, UAD Apollo will work. It does, however, require latest firmware on the Apollo itself and latest macOS drivers.
That's a great reply, thank you so much and good to know, I wanted to make sure before spending $$$ ;)

To: @bmoney @ralphonz @jleahy2 @kellymac12 @iamjoehan

cc: @boob @ssccrab

All of you have reported USB port instability issues that occur anywhere from once a week to couple of times a day.
  • Do any of you already own a Thunderbolt 3 Dock with multiple USB ports?
  • If so, have you tried moving your 'complex' USB devices to the Thunderbolt dock?
    • Keyboard and mouse can most likely remain where they are. These are 'simple' USB devices.
Thunderbolt docks contain their own USB controller and power management firmware. Whereas most Intel-based motherboards use Intel's USB 3.x controller built into the PCH chipset, Thunderbolt docks use completely different ASMedia controllers.

Connecting 'complex' USB devices to a Thunderbolt 3 Dock might be useful in determining whether or not USB instability is due to something on the motherboard.

I actually do have one, but I haven't used/tried it yet.

I think it's an interesting idea to pursue, but I don't have a lot of hope for it solving my actual issue as I have so few USB devices. Aside from just a keyboard, mouse, and the bluetooth card (on the internal USB header), the only other device I have is the Ableton Push 2 (which, you could definitely consider a complex device, but it does have it's own external power supply). Thinking about it, I do think I tend so see the issue occur more often than now when the Ableton Push 2 controller is turned on and I'm using it, but.... I *think* I have seen the issue occur without it being on too. It's happened so many times now, I honestly don't remember for sure though.

In either case, I'm going to wait a decent while longer to see if the Clover/EFI changes have impacted the USB issues for me before trying anything else. I wish the issue was more readily duplicable...

@CaseySJ I used this guide when I first build my machine, but I am feeling like a fresh install after changing some things in my system as well as a new system drive. Can I simply clone my EFI partition to the new system drive, then create Unibeast install USB and follow the installation procedure above and skip out most of the post-installation routine? Oh and copy the appropriate kexts to /extensions folder. I have a more or less smoothly functioning system right now.

@CaseySJ I used this guide when I first build my machine, but I am feeling like a fresh install after changing some things in my system as well as a new system drive. Can I simply clone my EFI partition to the new system drive, then create Unibeast install USB and follow the installation procedure above and skip out most of the post-installation routine? Oh and copy the appropriate kexts to /extensions folder. I have a more or less smoothly functioning system right now.

Will Unibeast actually delete stuff you don't need for a certain system? The last time I used it, it didn't.
I must confess that was a long time ago, so maybe they have improved it.

Why don't you just copy your EFI to a new drive and throw out/disable the things you don't need?
If you're not sure, ask people with the same hardware to share their EFI so you can have a look what they have.

Oh, and make sure you have a bootable backup.

About USB suddenly not working:

I was thinking along the same lines(openCore vs Clover). I use Clover, I have lots of USB stuff dangling from my Hack, hubs, disks, cradles, keyboards, duet display, Wacom, etc.

Except for some high current problems(I still can't properly charge a depleted iPad Air 2), I have had very little USB problems.

Also using the USBports.kext now, FYI.

This is the first hack I own that has reasonable stable USB, my previous X58/Z68/Z170 systems gave me more grief.

Last edited:
Back