Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Quite right, it's under IOResources. Could have sworn it used to be under EC.

Intersting! For whats it's worth I'm on a z370 and Mojave so maybe thats the difference. Here's my IOReg in case someone wants to poke around.

Attachments

• iMac.ioreg
    16 MB · Views: 86
@CaseySJ

On mine it still is under EC:
Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 8.40.41 PM.png

Yes, I have both DP cables going from GPU to DP in's of Titan Card.

Do all the ports on the video card work normally? I also do not use IGPU if your getting black signal out of them normally then you will get black signal out of them when doing video pass threw. And I guess maybe the piker patch may not be good with VII. I also use OC!

If you can post the firmware file for the board, we can adapt it. However, you can also try the files in the GC-Alpine Ridge micro-guide temporarily.

I tried the SSDT from Alpine Ridge, HotPlug did not work with it either. :(

I have attached the original BIOS file for the motherboard. ;)

Attachments

• mb_bios_ga-z170x-ud5-th_f22a.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 76
Hello I had a build running for about a year and I created it for video editing, however while using it with Final Cut Pro I could not export my projects in anything other than prores if did it in h.264 it would fail to complete. If I tried to compress to h.265 using handbrake or an export from DaVinci Resolve it would have lots of artefacts in and be completely unusable.

While trying the same thing on my MacBook Pro everything worked fine it just took a long time todo it for obvious reasons (2016 and slow). Also when I had a big project in DaVinci resolve and wanted to export it the system would freeze or just kinda turn off.

Now I've got rid of that install as it was aggravating me and decided to run windows and just use DaVinci hoping it would be simple but its kinda not. So I'm going to try to do a new installation later after work and I'd just like any advice for the things ive mentioned above.

Thank you

.... So I'm going to try to do a new installation later after work and I'd just like any advice for the things ive mentioned above.

I've been running a Hackintosh since 2012, with mostly great exports, in both FCPX and DR. One time, when I had to buy a new GPU, and it wasn't set up properly, my exports had a weird sound issue, but with my new build (same as yours, only Vega 64) my exports have been great and very fast. Follow the guide and you should be good to go, otherwise post your questions here and people will be happy to get you going!

Do all the ports on the video card work normally? I also do not use IGPU if your getting black signal out of them normally then you will get black signal out of them when doing video pass threw. And I guess maybe the piker patch may not be good with VII. I also use OC!
I have the iGPU enabled in BIOS, but use the iMac 19,1 profile so it's headless. It's been a while since I've tested all the DP ports on the GPU, I'll do that in my next round. In the past, I have needed WEG to get video out of all DP ports. Maybe that's not necessary any more in 10.15.4? I'm running the latest Clover, I'm afraid to try out OC as I while I'm testing I'm way more familiar with Clover, but maybe that's the difference. I'm going to test my UHD (DP) monitor directly to GPU. I haven't done that yet because my DP cable is really short. I believe this will work but it's definitely not ideal config-wise. I'm also fairly confident that if I revert my TR card back to non-patched firmware, all would work on the monitor front. Again, I want an oompa loompa now!
My experience with all the patched firmware is that all versions I have tested prevent displays connected via TB card from being detected by the motherboard on power-up. This causes the 5 beeps from the MB-preventing post. To get past this, I'm adding a 3rd display to the count (connected to GPU), that's when I get black screens after booting. I've read many accounts of folks having issues with 3 monitors. What is your display config?
Does anyone have a configuration that boots with 3 monitors attached all the way through boot process to the desktop?
I think I'm hitting the apple graphics policy problem, with the 3 monitors, but the Piker patch is not working with WEG boot arg, or as a patch in kernel/kext method.

Thanks.

Q: Does your native NVRAM setup survive a CMOS reset? Mine didn't. That's I'm using "VirtualSMC.kext" and "VirtualSmc.efi" and the RC scripts.

The SSDT patch I have using the @RehabMan method is working fine for me. Thunderbolt "power-swap" for the Apollo 8 (TB 2) is also working without flashing the TB hardware on the Z390. My Z370 setup is nearly identical in software and hardware, but with an AIC for Thunderbolt, and Native NVRAM, so no RC scripts on that machine.
Well a couple thing about my post, it seems I messed up and you weren't actually having any issue you were doing what I was doing and posting to help another person out, so your machine is probably working fine for you. I should have read more closely.

The Native NVRAM won't survive a reset of the CMOS or BIOS upgrade, each time the defaults of the BIOS are reloaded that Bit will get flipped back to ON 0x01. If your machine is working good for you please. keep on trucking, 90% of hacking is getting the machine working for you, and that can take different paths even for similar hardware.

Back