Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt USB 3.0 2TB External Hard Drive Portable HDD (STEV2000400)
Please confirm Thunderbolt BIOS settings as mentioned in previous reply. Then connect the LaCie drive, reboot, log back in, and do the following:
  • Download and run IORegistryExplorer.
  • Scroll the device tree on left side until you get to RP05 and post a screenshot. Alternatively, you may just select File --> Save As... and upload the saved IOReg file. This will tell us whether Thunderbolt is active and if there's any hint of the LaCie being connected.

Ouch. Because this is happening in Windows as well perhaps the best thing is to log a support ticket with Gigabyte Tech Support.
Hello again¡¡today i had new MB designare and this work perfectly¡¡¡the hdd dont eject more¡¡¡yuhuuuu.¡¡¡¡¡i was 5 month with this problem...its very crazy¡¡¡

ok,with this new MB i have to change the serial in smbios??

thx¡

Hello again¡¡today i had new MB designare and this work perfectly¡¡¡the hdd dont eject more¡¡¡yuhuuuu.¡¡¡¡¡i was 5 month with this problem...its very crazy¡¡¡

ok,with this new MB i have to change the serial in smbios??

thx¡
Congratulations! Have you done large file transfers?

No need to change serial numbers -- this is one of the (many) nice things about Hackintosh!

@zipb : Maybe you have a bad motherboard as well? @yapiyapo appears to have had a defective USB controller that would lead to sudden disk ejects during large file transfers. New board seems to fix that, although I think more time is needed to truly confirm.

Congratulations! Have you done large file transfers?

No need to change serial numbers -- this is one of the (many) nice things about Hackintosh!

@zipb : Maybe you have a bad motherboard as well? @yapiyapo appears to have had a defective USB controller that would lead to sudden disk ejects during large file transfers. New board seems to fix that, although I think more time is needed to truly confirm.
Yes now i can transfer all files¡¡large,short....also with all the disks connected at the same time¡¡

Thank you for everything! :headbang::headbang::headbang:

Good plan...some suggestions:
  • If Windows will be installed on an NVMe SSD, the SSD should be installed in the upper M2M slot.
  • On a dual boot system it is good to install Windows first.
  • Whichever SSD you use for macOS should not be partitioned with a different OS. It's okay to partition a macOS SSD where all partitions will be macOS partitions. This makes it easier to create and manage backups.
  • It is possible to install macOS on a relatively small SSD or partition (say about 128GB or 256GB) and have your home folder on a different, presumably larger SSD or partition. We can do this by following the section in Post #1 with the heading Home and OS Folders on Separates Drives (this applies to separate partitions as well).
  • I do not recommend simply transplanting an old macOS SSD. It would be better for the long term to perform a clean fresh installation and reinstall apps/plug-ins. The new computer will have a new serial number so pre-existing apps and plug-ins would need to be re-licensed.

Thanks so much! So to confirm you would just leave the Windows OS on one HDD and macOS on another? Both will be 500GB.
I was going to have an extra 500GB SSD in there also for storage. Do you know if both OS's will be able to read the third storage drive? If its FAT mac will still be able to read?
Good plan...some suggestions:
  • If Windows will be installed on an NVMe SSD, the SSD should be installed in the upper M2M slot.
  • On a dual boot system it is good to install Windows first.
  • Whichever SSD you use for macOS should not be partitioned with a different OS. It's okay to partition a macOS SSD where all partitions will be macOS partitions. This makes it easier to create and manage backups.
  • It is possible to install macOS on a relatively small SSD or partition (say about 128GB or 256GB) and have your home folder on a different, presumably larger SSD or partition. We can do this by following the section in Post #1 with the heading Home and OS Folders on Separates Drives (this applies to separate partitions as well).
  • I do not recommend simply transplanting an old macOS SSD. It would be better for the long term to perform a clean fresh installation and reinstall apps/plug-ins. The new computer will have a new serial number so pre-existing apps and plug-ins would need to be re-licensed.

Awesome thanks so much!

I guess at the end of the day I would rather do a build that is easier and more reliable than having to macguyver my current setup in there.

In a perfect world would you recommend I put the MAC OS in the other NVMe slot (the bottom one) and then just use my normal SSD's and sata drives for storage?

Then when i'm ready my setup would be done via the windows system, accessing the BIOS and using clover or similar? (I'll read the instructions)

I have performed the Intel 630HD speed boost and have experienced no problems. It might be in my head, but I could swear that my dock animation is zippier. I can confirm through h.265 video playback and the Intel Power Gadget that it worked! Also, here are my before and after GB4 scores of my Radeon VII and the Radeon Boost kext w/SSDT.

RadeonBoost2.jpg

Thanks so much! So to confirm you would just leave the Windows OS on one HDD and macOS on another? Both will be 500GB.
I was going to have an extra 500GB SSD in there also for storage. Do you know if both OS's will be able to read the third storage drive? If its FAT mac will still be able to read?
  • If the third drive is FAT, both OS’s will be able to read and write to it.
  • If the third drive is NTFS, both OS’s will be able to read, but only Windows can write.
  • If you install an NTFS driver for macOS such as Paragon NTFS, then macOS can also read and write to any NTFS drive.
In a perfect world would you recommend I put the MAC OS in the other NVMe slot (the bottom one) and then just use my normal SSD's and sata drives for storage?
Yes, if you plan to have only one NVMe SSD and it’s for macOS, then it’s better to install it in the lower M2P slot for maximum flexibility later on.
Then when i'm ready my setup would be done via the windows system, accessing the BIOS and using clover or similar? (I'll read the instructions)
MacOS installation needs a Mac or Hackintosh for creating the USB install disk. Clover can be the universal boot loader.

@CaseySJ In my case I also have PowerNap off, Apple Magic Keyboard (I have it plugged in but it works when asleep as well) and haven't set a darkwake boot flag, and I can just press one key and the monitor comes on just fine (I had to disable my iGPU due to it causing issues with my monitor).

I switched back to Fenvi Bluetooth, FYI.
Same here.

Yes, if you plan to have only one NVMe SSD and it’s for macOS, then it’s better to install it in the lower M2P slot for maximum flexibility later on.

@CaseySJ Hi and thanks for all your amazing help here!

I'm a few minutes away from building my system as detailed under my avatar and I have a related question to the above quote: while I don't have a second NVMe for Windows installation atm (because I frankly forgot to order one), I would like to have the option of installing Windows at a later date. Tonight I'll just be installing macOS (assuming I build this thing correctly and don't screw it up...it's been a few years since I've built a system).

Will installing the macOS drive in the lower slot now will allow for a smoother installation of Windows later once I have the second NVMe, or will I likely need to reinstall macOS after installing the Windows drive anyway? I suppose I'm not averse to doing that but my main concern is whether installing macOS in the lower slot with nothing in the upper would cause me problems now.

Thanks again for all your help - this guide is amazingly detailed and is very much appreciated.

@CaseySJ Hi and thanks for all your amazing help here!

I'm a few minutes away from building my system as detailed under my avatar and I have a related question to the above quote: while I don't have a second NVMe for Windows installation atm (because I frankly forgot to order one), I would like to have the option of installing Windows at a later date. Tonight I'll just be installing macOS (assuming I build this thing correctly and don't screw it up...it's been a few years since I've built a system).

Will installing the macOS drive in the lower slot now will allow for a smoother installation of Windows later once I have the second NVMe, or will I likely need to reinstall macOS after installing the Windows drive anyway? I suppose I'm not averse to doing that but my main concern is whether installing macOS in the lower slot with nothing in the upper would cause me problems now.

Thanks again for all your help - this guide is amazingly detailed and is very much appreciated.
My experience is that you can move the macOS to either M.2 slot. Just make sure when you install Windows, that you remove any other disks including SATA disks as Windows is known to overwrite the wrong EFI partitions. For the SATA disks, if you are using them, you can just disable the Drives in the BIOS without physically disconnecting them. Hope this helps.

Back