Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@MatiCohen,

I think it's going to be very interesting to see the continued development of native drivers for Intel Bluetooth and Intel WiFi, so I've added a section under Miscellaneous in Post #1 as shown.

All: These drivers are in development and do not work completely. Unless you are beta-testing them for the developer, please do not use them. For now, no support of any kind will be provided in this thread.

View attachment 463242

Awesome !
There sure is progress, lets hope full usability is a matter of weeks/months.

@CaseySJ
Hi mate, thx for your fantastic guide, I followed the guide since Z390 Mojave, all work great! But currently, I failed to vanilla install the Catalina 10.15.4, and I found only 10.15 can be vanilla installed to my hacky.

What happened is when I click the install button at step 2, the installation will not continue but flashback to the MacOS Utilities home screen. The issue only happened after the 10.15.1, but I still can have my hacky refreshed on 10.15. Do you have any clue to solve it? Or is it a compatibility issue with my SSD?

Some comments and questions:
  • Is WiFi working?
  • Were any files added, updated, or removed from /Library/Extensions?
  • Try connecting the Fenvi Bluetooth cable directly to F_USB (after disconnecting the USB splitter). Does it make a difference?
WiFi is working fine. No files touched in the /Library/Extensions

I’d love to possibly not have to open up the computer as I’ve got it all wired into the studio, but I will if necessary. Is that the only other option?

I have nearly the exact setup of this guide running 10.14.6 without any issues but recently I wanted to finish out the build and add more drives using one of my already owned cards. I have a couple of working LSI RAID controller cards flashed to IT mode with FW20. Both cards are SAS9207-8i, Windows 10 sees them and can use them perfectly. It freezes immediately when I select my Mac drive in Clover. I've been searching high and low for a driver set or other patches or any tangible information out there but I'm feeling a bit defeated.

Has anyone had any success with this LSI SAS9207-8i or any of the Broadcom/LSI cards in this series on a Hackintosh? I know there are natively supported cards out there but I have these fully functioning cards already and just curious if anyone does have any experience and/or has this working under 10.14? I tried the SASMegaRAID.kext with no success. I also found and tried the AztekFusion2 drivers but it had the same exact result. If it isn't possible, I can easily call it a day and move on. I have an addon SATA card I could drop in that I know works but I liked the performance and stability of these LSI cards, not too mention the mini-SAS to SATA cables clean up the installation a great deal.

Last edited:
It's near the bottom of the Sleep Aid:

I was under the Impression, that you already had prepared an SSDT for the 5700 XT, my bad :rolleyes:

Just want to say thanks to CaseySJ for all the hard work on this great guide. It made for a very easy build for me. I have thunderbolt working on my Apogee Symphony I/O Mk II audio interface as well as my OWC Express 4M2 NVME SSD enclosure.
Does your Symphony mk2 works as expected as well without modifying the thunderbolt firmware?

If you could get a board level view of the SOIC8 clip attached, I'd love to see how stable the clip to chip is. (...)
Anyway it would be good to get a professional quality photo of the clip to chip interface to let folks know how stable the clip fits on.
Thanks, good suggestion @svandive ! Will do.
My SOIC8 clip and other parts should be arriving on Wednesday, so I hope to get some pictures shortly after that.
I have everything to do the firmware transfer, but I am really really using my system right now, and If I botched it, this would be a bit of a problem for me. I just can't afford the downtime. If I could get my NUC working with Catalina as a "backup" system I could jump right in.
Sensible thinking :thumbup: . Better be safe than rush things if you can't afford any downtime right now. The risks of firmware flashing itself are very low, but you never know what issues you might encounter simply from taking your system apart and putting it back together to get access to the Winbond chip on the motherboard. You'll want to have room to play and fix things, and/or have your backup operational.
With a bit of luck, I could help you with this next weekend. I ordered some stuff (mostly for my x58 build, namely a new graphics card and amongst others a Titan Ridge AIC). But it really isn't that hard and you also can't break anything (besides some case clips maybe). Something went awry? Reattach and flash again! I first connected everything like in the first description (MoBos lights turned on red), detached the 1st pin (lights off), turned on PSU and started dumping. With the 1st pin connected the lights turning on are your indicator, that you attached the clip properly.
Thanks for sharing your experience @SuDoDmz, good to hear it's an easy and fail-safe process! Did you use the breadboard with resistor and capacitor, or not?

I'll try making shots of the motherboard's LEDs status as well.

Enjoy your new build, it's addictive isn't it ;)?

Last edited:
Hi CaseySJ,

I've been using this build for a bit more than a year now and it's flawless, working perfectly. However, I've just noticed that no Thunderbolt is showing in the PCI section, Actually the PCI section is completely empty.
I don't have any real Thunderbolt device to test if this working but I have a Samsung T5 external SSD (for Mojave backup) with USB C 3.1 gen 2. I was curious to see, so I tried to plug it in any of the Thunderbolt and it's not showing.
The SSD works with every other port.

Does that mean Thunderbolt is not working on my build? Or is it the hot-plug function not working?
I read again carefully the whole guide, check everything in config.plist and all the post-install files but I didn't found where I miss something. Only thing I did is to change to imac 19,1 (it was macmini 8,1) .

This is not a real issue for me, since i don't have any Thunderbolt device, but i'm curious to make it work.

Hi all,
I'm back to the adventure for few time this week-end.

@CaseySJ
Can someone have tried new GC Titan ridge firmware from last month ? Gigabyte have posted on his website a new NVM50 and it will be interesting to test our patching method :) Assuming that we didn't have more chance on NVM43.

If some have already programmed his board, could he dump all NVM component ?

Here is the programming software firmware (from GB website) and patched with few bytes for testing only :)
We have to test if flashed like full firmware file, it will be operational.

Attachments

• GC-TITAN-RIDGE_rev50_patched.bin.zip
    275 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
When you upgraded from Mojave to Catalina, did you follow this guide:
Because it looks as if you're using KGP's X299-based FakeSMC sensor kexts. It would be best to follow the above guide, but skip the steps for actually reinstalling Catalina. In other words, follow all the procedures that remove Hackintosh kexts from Mojave and create a new EFI folder on a USB flash disk. If Catalina can boot from that folder and your DP/HDMI functionality is okay, then you can copy the EFI folder from USB disk to the EFI partition of the Catalina SSD. Be sure to follow the steps that copy SMBIOS and RtVariables from Mojave config.plist to Catalina config.plist.

That did it! No clue why I had problems with this, I followed the guide you linked for my first attempt.
Well, as always, thank you so much @CaseySJ !

Back