Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Do you recall whether this worked before flashing the Thunderbolt firmware?
No I did not try using the Apple TB Display before flashing the TB firmware.

Perhaps somebody else who hasn't flashed their firmware could give it a try.

I re-tested tonight and I can confirm the Apple Thunderbolt Display does not work on my Designare with original (unpatched) Thunderbolt firmware.

I tested both upper and lower TB3 ports in the 3 configurations below, and the outcome is the same for all: Nothing happens (no display, no changes in IOreg)
  • Test 1: RX590 in headless mode. RX590 DP out > Designare DP in.
  • Test 2: RX590 + iGPU enabled. RX590 DP out > Designare DP in.
  • Test 3: RX590 + iGPU enabled. RX590 DP Out / Designare DP In: Disconnected
I used the Apple TB3-to-TB2 adapter to connect my Apple Thunderbolt Display to the TB3 ports.

This is great!! I have an Alpine Ridge card (flashed) in my Aorus Pro. My GPU is a PowerColor RX590. Would you think that combo would drive the Apple TB display?
Yes that combo should work. Earlier this week I found several success-stories of working Apple TB Displays with Alpine Ridge AIC ... see my post here.

Up until today, Titan Ridge Thunderbolt cards could not be made to work with the Apple TB Display (Intel does not allow these cards to switch to Legacy-mode), but somehow Casey's patched firmware seems to overcome that issue and allows us to use the Apple Thunderbolt Display in full glory!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the new firmware and bios updates have been released in order for the Apple thunderbolt Display to work with Z390 Designare out of the box?
Unfortunately this won't happen. Intel already closed the book on it. Apple Thunderbolt Display is nice, but the world has moved on... :)
@gonzo123,

Looks like I have to eat my words because the seemingly impossible has just happened...

Hey there, I'm having some trouble installing this 10.15.4 Supplemental Update. When I click Update Now, I see the Apple logo and a loading bar, and then my computer restarts and boots up like normal without installing anything.

I'm using the latest version of Clover and WhateverGreen, Lilu and AppleALC.

My Clover boot screen has the following entries:

Boot FileVault prebooter from preboot
Boot MacOS install prebooter from preboot
Boot MacOS from Sunbow (This is my backup SSD)
Boot recovery from recovery
Boot FileVault prebooter from preboot
Boot recovery from recovery
Boot MacOS from Samsung (This is my main SSD)

I've tried a few times and have had the same result, although sometimes I boot to my backup SSD and I'm not sure how that setting keeps getting changed. I can tell this happens because I'll end up with a slightly older version of Clover.

I've been poking around this thread for a while, does this have to with the error mentioned here or am I mixed up? I have not unlocked MSR 0xE2, just updating Clover fixed my problem a while ago updating from Mojave to 10.15.4
During the update your computer will reboot at least twice. Each time the Clover Boot Menu appears we must look at all the boot volumes carefully. Whenever we see one containing the word Install we must choose that manually if it is not already selected.

In your case the second item says Boot MacOS Install Prebooter from Preboot. Notice it has the word Install. So you must select that manually.

I re-tested tonight and I can confirm the Apple Thunderbolt Display does not work on my Designare with original (unpatched) Thunderbolt firmware.

I tested both upper and lower TB3 ports in the 3 configurations below, and the outcome is the same for all: Nothing happens (no display, no changes in IOreg)
  • Test 1: RX590 in headless mode. RX590 DP out > Designare DP in.
  • Test 2: RX590 + iGPU enabled. RX590 DP out > Designare DP in.
  • Test 3: RX590 + iGPU enabled. RX590 DP Out / Designare DP In: Disconnected
I used the Apple TB3-to-TB2 adapter to connect my Apple Thunderbolt Display to the TB3 ports.
Thank you for running these tests. Some questions (for the sake of scientific rigor :)):
  • During each test, did you (blindly) press Enter at the (invisible) Clover Boot Menu to boot macOS?
  • If so, did the Thunderbolt Display turn on at any time during or after the boot process?
  • During each test, did you connect a second monitor simultaneously so that Clover Boot Menu appeared on that monitor?
  • If so, did the Thunderbolt Display turn on at any time during or after macOS was booted? Or only the second monitor was active?

Last edited:
@notthefirstryan,

If you've installed AirportBrcmFixup, might as well install all five WiFi/BT kexts from this post:

When you install the Fenvi, does enabling/disable CSM Support in BIOS make any difference? Does moving Fenvi to a long slot make any difference. Apologies if I asked these questions before, but it might be good to try again.

this is great!! I have an alpine ridge card (flashed) in my Aorus Pro. my GPU is a PowerColor RX590. would you think that combo would drive the Apple TB display?
there are several Apple TB displays on ebay for 200-300 incl shipping. I'm inclined to take a gamble and buy one. thanks for checking to see what the behavior is with only the TB display connected. if I ever needed to access the Clover screen at boot I can rig up a second (probably DVI) display.

is this the Apple adapter you are now using?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQ26QIY/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

is this the Cable Matters adapter you referred to?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D0D7QU0/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

any preference?

finally, is it the A1407/MC914LL/A display?

thanks again!

@faithie999

The Apple adapter linked to Amazon is the correct adapter. You can buy from Apple's store for the same price.

The Cable Matters adapter linked to Amazon is the correct adapter.

They both seem to work the same. The Apple adapter is smaller and less expensive so why not go with it?

The model number of my Apple Thunderbolt Display is A1407 -- tiny print on the bottom of the stand base. Made in 2011.

Your quoted ebay prices sound pretty reasonable for such a nice display.

I just checked out the flashed Alpine Ridge AIC on my Aorus Pro and it works just like on the Designare's built-in TB3. Good luck!

During the update your computer will reboot at least twice. Each time the Clover Boot Menu appears we must look at all the boot volumes carefully. Whenever we see one containing the word Install we must choose that manually if it is not already selected.

In your case the second item says Boot MacOS Install Prebooter from Preboot. Notice it has the word Install. So you must select that manually.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Attached is my new issue when selecting Boot MacOS Install Prebooter from Preboot. I've been searching around and have tried both making sure I ran kext utility after updating those kexts to their latest versions, as well as a soft CMOS reset with no luck. For each attempt I started from the Update Now button rather just just selecting Boot MacOS Install Prebooter from Preboot.

Attachments

• IMG_0192.jpg
    IMG_0192.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 71
Just flashed moded nvm33 (elias64fr) on my TR AIC PCIe card. Working like a charm... For now I see no difference with moded nvm23 though.

Just flashed moded nvm33 (elias64fr) on my TR AIC PCIe card. Working like a charm... For now I see no difference with moded nvm23 though.

Does the Video pass threw work on both USB C ports and the DP? I think that was the main difference I found. Maybe it worked with 23 but but when I tested I remember it not working for some reason.

Back