Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I Think I understand the Issue now @CaseySJ , so It worked on Windows because my iGPU was driving it?
its not headless in Windows...

No, because I created this for Thunderbolt SSDT testing and didn't realize it was still installed. The problem with this USBPorts.kext is that it's hard-coded for iMac19,1 only. To support other system definitions it would be necessary to modify the kext. The benefit of the existing SSDT-based solution (which requires USBInjectAll.kext) is that it is already compatible with many different system definitions. Moreover, USBInjectAll.kext supports a number of Boot Arguments that allow us to turn it off, disable HSxx ports, disable SSxx ports, selectively enable or disable any port, etc.

Got it. Thank you @CaseySJ :)

Hi @cylsfar,

I have a Corsair cooler as well. I also have two Commander Pros and two Lighting Pro USB modules. I know this isn't a perfect solution, but I pass those particular devices through to my "bootcamp" Win10 instance and control everything from there.

Lam

Are you getting the error message as per my thread Catalina thinks my Corsair Commander Pro is a UPS?
If so, I wonder how you got rid of the error message at the login screen?

I have not reconnected my Corsair Commander Pro to test in 10.15.4, but I assume the problem is that macOS is not looking at the manufacturer and device id's of the commander pro and is attaching itself to the USB device based solely on the Commander Pro name which is a name of a third party UPS device.

Passing the USB port to Win10 on Parallels Desktop is the way to go, but if this error can be fixed maybe by blacklisting the macOS UPS driver, but I'm not sure as to the correct way to approach it.

Hi @CaseySJ,

Is it safe to use the new OCQuirks-20.1/OpenRuntime.efi with 10.15.3? I'm currently using the previous OCQ/FwRuntimeServices.efi on my 10.15.3.

Thanks,
Lam

BIOS -
Security Level - No Security
Thunderbolt USB Support - Enabled
GPIO3 Force Pwr - Enabled

No I didn't, In windows my tests worked just fine, is there additional things I need to do in my hackintosh?
1st Monitor into 5700XT DisplayPort
2nd Monitor into DisplayPort to USBC Adapter to Thunderbolt 3 connector

Attached LOG:
The log looks fine. Thunderbolt SSDT is properly loaded. Because your System Preferences --> PCI section is not showing the description correctly, it might be because you're using a different Thunderbolt SSDT than the one in the guide?
I Think I understand the Issue now @CaseySJ , so It worked on Windows because my iGPU was driving it?
its not headless in Windows...
Correct.

Hi @CaseySJ,

Is it safe to use the new OCQuirks-20.1/OpenRuntime.efi with 10.15.3? I'm currently using the previous OCQ/FwRuntimeServices.efi on my 10.15.3.

Thanks,
Lam
Yes, but please use the one at the bottom of the Catalina 10.15.4 Mini-Guide. That one has been specifically configured for this board (and for most Z390 boards).

Could this be it?
No, that chart is good, but I saw a more detailed lowdown, from memory it was on some one's blog. If I find it I'll link to it.
Interestingly shikigva=128 might work.
I'll see if I can test later today (in OZ) after I finish trying to get the Alpine/Titan Ridge(s) going in slot 4 alongside the inbuilt TB that is working fine.

@jb007 @ralphonz

Just moments ago I decided to update the Thunderbolt firmware on my main system. Up to now I've done all my tinkering on the test bench, but after @jb007's procedure documented here, I decided to see how easy it would be to (a) first read the chip three times in a row, and then (b) flash it with the modified firmware.

To my delight, the procedure worked marvelously.

Three perfect reads were done and I felt very comfortable to proceed with the firmware update. And that too was completely successful.

So now both of my Designare Z390 systems have Thunderbolt Bus and are operating at the full 40 Gbps link speed.

Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 3.59.00 PM.png

No, that chart is good, but I saw a more detailed lowdown, from memory it was on some one's blog. If I find it I'll link to it.
Interestingly shikigva=128 might work.
I'll see if I can test later today (in OZ) after I finish trying to get the Alpine/Titan Ridge(s) going in slot 4 alongside the inbuilt TB that is working fine.
It won't get any more detailed than this! :)

Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 4.03.43 PM.png

Back