Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@qthegaijin

After verifying, It seem that your original firmware have 2 DIFFERENT partitions,one with Z170 Designare and another with GA-Z170X-TBT3-6L that mean you have already tried flashing another file, Right ?
  1. What tool have you tried for this ? It will be interesting to know :)
  2. You have to use an original firmware to patch 2 partitions at same time or correct offset to be sure that patched partition will be used at boot.

I used flashrom, this programmer, and the original ripped .bin file to reflash after trying @NorthAmTransAm 's patch. Everything was verified after flash so figured it would be all good to go since it was the original. The firmware was updated using Gigabyte's updater at one point many moons ago for sure, would that be it?

@qthegaijin
Have you made a backup of the original firmware before trying your mods ? If so, could you send us this original backup ?

@qthegaijin
Have you made a backup of the original firmware before trying your mods ? If so, could you send us this original backup ?

That's what was posted first. You have the one of the Original files I ripped. Attached are the 3 backups I made to sum check before any mods. VERY strange indeed!

Attachments

• Z170X-DESIGNARE-BACKUP-BINS.zip
    833.4 KB · Views: 69
Hi @qthegaijin,

Could you try theses 3 files in order of number at the end :) .. then report back, Thanks !
I also tested on my MB (z170x-ud5 th). All 3 test were the same (with/without ssdt). Sysinfo => Thunderbolt is empty, no hotplug...
test-1_without_connected_devices.pngtest-2.pngtest-3.png

Please try the attached file:
  • No guarantees this will work.
  • After flashing is done, please shutdown and flip switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds.
    • This is a cold boot; it's necessary.
Good luck!

UPDATE: Didn't see @Elias64Fr's reply above! Please try his three files first.
CaseySJ, do I need to test it on my MB, or is it useless?

CaseySJ, do I need to test it on my MB, or is it useless?
Might as well try, but chances are going to be low. By the way, Thunderbolt is not empty in your screenshots; only Thunderbolt Bus is empty. Do Thunderbolt devices connect either before or after boot?

Thats what was posted first, you have the one of the Original files i ripped. Attached are the 3 backups i made to sumcheck before any mods. VERY strange indeed!
Give this one a shot while you're testing the others.

Attachments

• AlpineRIdgeZ170-V2.bin.zip
    278.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
@CaseySJ so I'm still running my Z390 Designare... is the only way to flash it using a chip programmer or a Raspberry Pi? If so, I'll go and get them ordered. If not, I'd very much like to save a few bucks and test flashing directly from within Windows :p

By the way, Thunderbolt is not empty in your screenshots; only Thunderbolt Bus is empty. Do Thunderbolt devices connect either before or after boot?
If I connect devices before computer start, then I see all of devices: OWC14Ports & eGPU (see screenshot). But this is same works with the original firmware (and without ssdt) too.
test-3_with_connected_devices_before_boot.png

Might as well try, but chances are going to be low.
OK, I'll try...
Are you still gonna watch my original firmware that I posted here?

@CaseySJ so I'm still running my Z390 Designare... is the only way to flash it using a chip programmer or a Raspberry Pi? If so, I'll go and get them ordered. If not, I'd very much like to save a few bucks and test flashing directly from within Windows :p
We are trying to find an easier way. In the near term I'm afraid an external flasher is the only option. We might have an answer regarding Windows-based updater in the next day or two...

Back