Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

My bios is like my picture

it is strange that ssd works on thunderbolt but not i think in TB3 with my sound card UAUDIO
Let's dive deeper into this mystery...
  • Have you flashed the Thunderbolt chip (i.e. modified the Thunderbolt firmware)?
  • How old is your Designare Z390 motherboard?
  • Do you have Windows or Linux installed on this machine? If so, does Thunderbolt work under Windows or Linux?
  • Also run IORegistryExplorer and scroll the device tree on left side until you get to RP05. Capture and post a screenshot (CMD-Shift-5).
  • Have you tried re-flashing BIOS F9b (using the option to perform full upgrade, not fast upgrade)?

• Have you flashed the Thunderbolt chip (i.e. modified the Thunderbolt firmware)?
----> no i have do nothing
---->My motherboard have 2 months
  • Do you have Windows or Linux installed on this machine? If so, does Thunderbolt work under Windows or Linux?
----> I have windows but it is same it doesn't work also
  • Have you tried re-flashing BIOS F9b (using the option to perform full upgrade, not fast upgrade)?
----> i try now how you do full upgrade ?

It's funny that you mentioned that. I have noticed since installing the Alpine card (although I wouldn't want to bet a paycheck that it hadn't happened before) that in verbose mode, there is a line a second or two into boot as follows:

ACPI: Executed 45 blocks of module-level executable AML code

and the boot does pause for about 5 seconds at this point.
@faithie999
As said by CaseySJ, this line is normal : it's the last line before our issue, here a call to a native function which we don't need anymore. Please, try DSDT patch.

@Loloflatsix this is the only SSDT that would work for me. I'm not sure why our current standard isn't.

@CaseySJ, confirmed working! I'm not getting DSB2 still though. I'm going to try a cold boot with a device and no SSDT to confirm. Standby.

Confirmed. No DSB2. I've got some more experiments on my list though.
@NorthAmTransAm,

It seems that DSB2 (USB) is still a bit finicky with add-in-cards. If you compare DSB2 performance between Asus Thunderbolt EX3 and GC-Alpine Ridge, do they both perform (or misbehave) the same way?

I'm trying to determine whether or not to add the Asus Thunderbolt EX3 modified firmware to the repository. I'll wait until more feedback is received.

Good thing you didn't "bet a paycheck" because those 45 blocks of module-level AML code are normal. They're usually there.
decision scientists call this phenomenon "availability bias". more or less means that when you're sensitized to something you see it all the time whereas before you may not have noticed it. like when you buy a new car--it seems like every other car you see on the road is like the one you bought.

This is very strange. Is anyone running BIOS F9b? If so, do you see Thunderbolt Configuration?

View attachment 456010
@CaseySJ
I have F9b BIOS and this line normally appear ... except when I had an issue on thunderbolt controller (experienced that during investigation, after flash failure or unappropriated firmware or patch).

----> no i have do nothing
---->My motherboard have 2 months
----> I have windows but it is same it doesn't work also
----> i try now how you do full upgrade ?
Okay, your motherboard probably cannot be returned/exchanged, but it should be under warranty from Gigabyte. If Thunderbolt does not work in Windows, then you can contact Gigabyte Tech Support through the Gigabyte website.

But before you do that, please try:
  • Download BIOS F7 and flash it in the normal way.
  • Check if Thunderbolt settings appear in BIOS.
  • In MacOS, download and run IORegistryExplorer and scroll the device tree on left side until you get to RP05, then capture and post a screenshot.

@CaseySJ
I have F9b BIOS and this line normally appear ... except when I had an issue on thunderbolt controller (experienced that during investigation, after flash failure or unappropriated firmware or patch).
Do you remember what you did to bring back Thunderbolt Configuration in BIOS?

Between pins 4 (GND) and 8 (Vcc) you will see 3.3V. But for the actual SPI signal pins (CS, CLK, MISO, MOSI) you will see 5V.

Update:
I should again mention that many people (including yourself) have not experienced any problems when SPI signal pins are at 5V. So I'm not sure how dangerous this is...

You right. I measured and it's like you said. I flashed a few motherboards chips and Alpine Ridge every time with no errors or problems.

Okay, your motherboard probably cannot be returned/exchanged, but it should be under warranty from Gigabyte. If Thunderbolt does not work in Windows, then you can contact Gigabyte Tech Support through the Gigabyte website.

But before you do that, please try:
  • Download BIOS F7 and flash it in the normal way.
  • Check if Thunderbolt settings appear in BIOS.
  • In MacOS, download and run IORegistryExplorer and scroll the device tree on left side until you get to RP05, then capture and post a screenshot.
ok i try i think my thunderbolt is dead

rectification my external ssd dosen't work

i have test my external ssd with cable usb 3.0 to usb3.1

With a cable thunderbolt 3 it is not working

you think i test with f7 ? wich bios revision do you have ?

Back