Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ

That's pretty good ! I have my customised UID and port 7 enabled :)
Just took a lunch break. Did a lot of cooking because all of us in Silicon Valley are under a shelter-in-place order.

I'm just about to create a custom Thunderbolt DROM... Without a proper DROM, this is what we currently get:

Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 12.58.40 PM.png
The "after" screenshot coming soon...

Just took a lunch break. Did a lot of cooking because all of us in Silicon Valley are under a shelter-in-place order.

I'm just about to create a custom Thunderbolt DROM... Without a proper DROM, this is what we currently get:

View attachment 455185
I finished my customisation ! AND there is a secret sauce :) .. and oops I have Hachintosh written :lol:
Capture d’écran 2020-03-17 à 21.05.49.png

Last edited:
Hi Jiffyslot, how did you work this out?

Between this Z390 9900KS build and the Z370 8700K, I've rebuilt these systems so many tines that I honestly can't remember. It was probably fixed with Virtual SMC and turning off XMP in the BIOS. FWIW, I am not using the "native NVRAM" mod.

Okay, the procedure for the edit went fine, but the USB stick won't boot via F12. Every time I select it, the screen goes dark for a moment and goes back to the F12 boot-option page.

@jiffyslot @ziggenpuss

Have you try seen if you have HFSPlus.efi driver on USB key and/or enabling Legacy boot on BIOS ? I had similar problem :) but don't remember how I solve it.

View attachment 455185
Secret sauce is that we don't need all of previous decoding work :lol::lol:
  1. Just make required modifications of DROM
  2. Use a dummy CRC8 and CRC32
  3. After reboot, use hackintool (or terminal command) to see ALL of System log (sometimes "Contains" is buggy)
  4. Search for "DROM" text
  5. If you find a log about DROM error ... It show false CRC8 and then indicates the right CRC8 :lol::lol:
  6. Correct the CRC
  7. Reboot
  8. Do the same thing with CRC32
  9. Replay line 3 and 4 until you don't find anything about DROM
That's all !

UPDATE: Some illustration
Capture d’écran 2020-03-17 à 23.39.31.png

Last edited:
Secret sauce is that we don't need all of previous decoding work :lol::lol:
  1. Just make required modifications of DROM
  2. Use a dummy CRC8 and CRC32
  3. After reboot, use hackintool (or terminal command) to see all of System log
  4. Search for "DROM" text
  5. If you find a log about DROM error ... It show false CRC8 and then indicates the right CRC8 :lol::lol:
  6. Reboot
  7. Do the same thing with CRC32
  8. Replay line 3 and 4 until you don't find anything about DROM
That's all !
Currently we have:
  • 02 C7 -- TBSwitch7
Does this need to be either:
  • 02 B7
or:
  • 02 87
Edit: Fixed typo (80 --> 87)

Last edited:
Currently we have:
  • 02 C7 -- TBSwitch7
Does this need to be either:
  • 02 B7
or:
  • 02 08
Port 7 patching data is : 02 C7 to be replaced by 02 87 :) (I probably made a mistake on post few days ago :rolleyes:)
and use fixed 9 bytes data from rMac as we previously found : On our case (iMac19,1) it's 01580001000D000100

Last edited:
Hi

I'm really impressed by Casey, Elias and all of you who work hard to investigate about TBT. Thanks a lot.

Could we imagine to use fashTBT.exe to flash the Thunderbolt ROM?
Hi @yellocab and Thanks !

Someone has tried with onboard Alpine ridge and despite Success flashing reported by tool, no change after boot.

But you can try on Designare and report back :) ONLY if you have an external programmer by safety in case of failing and bricking your chip.

Port 7 patching data is : 02 C7 to be replaced by 02 87 :) (I probably made a mistake on post few days ago :rolleyes:)
and use fixed 9 bytes data from rMac as we previously found : On our case (iMac19,1) it's 01580001000D000100
I'm sending a custom DROM to you by private message. Please check if it works. Port 7 does not yet appear...

Back