Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

If you have two Thunderbolt cards they will each appear under a different Root Port (the "RP" in RP21 is Root Port). If unsure which card is in which root port, it would be better to upload the IOReg file (IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...).

I am not trying to run them at the same time I just been swiping them out so they are both in RP21 when I am using it. Does it matter what card is in the system at the time I export the registry?

@CaseySJ

Any Idea how to adapt OSY thunderbolt files to RP21 and save them to asl? I get an error. I was able to put OSY firmware onto my Alpine Ridge and as long as things are plugged in @ boot they work even the EGPU with icon so it is running native. However, once they are ejected they are gone. I tried a good amount of different SSDT with no luck on the alpine ridge. The one that is working on my Titian ridge does not work with the alpine ridge. I use Opencore and had the SSDT files added the naming looked correct so it is kind of working. Thanks in advance!
Does the SSDT for Titan Ridge allow hot plug without any changes that are discussed previously in this thread or is flashing necessary?

I am not trying to run them at the same time I just been swiping them out so they are both in RP21 when I am using it. Does it matter what card is in the system at the time I export the registry?
Because you're switching between GC-Alpine Ridge and GC-Titan Ridge -- both of which are Thunderbolt 3 with USB-C ports -- it is okay to use the same SSDT.

However, @rj510 found a possible issue when the modified firmware is used in GC-Titan Ridge. Specifically, device DSB2, which holds the USB XHC controller, might be defined with an incorrect device-id. Instead of 0x15EC, it might be exposing itself as 0x15EA.

I have already added this to my to-do list for the evening. If true, it might explain why none of us is seeing the full set of XHC ports under DSB2.RHUB. (P.S. "none of us is seeing" is grammatically correct.)

Your SSDT-TBOLT3 contains a few elements that should be removed from NHI0._DSM method. Probably good to use DSM's original SSDT-TBOLT3 and make the RP21-related changes until I can do some more homework on this.

Because you're switching between GC-Alpine Ridge and GC-Titan Ridge -- both of which are Thunderbolt 3 with USB-C ports -- it is okay to use the same SSDT.

However, @rj510 found a possible issue when the modified firmware is used in GC-Titan Ridge. Specifically, device DSB2, which holds the USB XHC controller, might be defined with an incorrect device-id. Instead of 0x15EC, it might be exposing itself as 0x15EA.

I have already added this to my to-do list for the evening. If true, it might explain why none of us is seeing the full set of XHC ports under DSB2.RHUB. (P.S. "none of us is seeing" is grammatically correct.)

Your SSDT-TBOLT3 contains a few elements that should be removed from NHI0._DSM method. Probably good to use DSM's original SSDT-TBOLT3 and make the RP21-related changes until I can do some more homework on this.

I tired to modify DSM2 SSDT-TBOLT3 I was not successful. I then popped the one I sent you in changed its name and rebooted. Everything at that point started to work on the Titian Ridge card. I did a bunch of testing till my little heart was content the card was functioning to at least my standards. I then started the process with the alpine ridge leaving the SSDT in place with no change booted up everything appeared to be functioning but after eject devices do not come back. I did not test USB in any case. It was not even on my radar to get the USB on either TB3 controller. I use one Logitech dongle for my keyboard and mouse and the rest of the USB are empty. So I am not port starved! I can for sure try and edit DSM2 Tbolt3 file myself but if your saying the Titian ridge and the Alpine ridge in the same port should be able to share the same SSDT then I do not know. :-/. Also when the alpine ridge is installed I see the usb bus it is attached DSB2 not sure if anything connects to it I do not have any usb C devices.

Last edited:
Some other suggestions:
  • Is your SSID available at both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz? If so, do both of them fail to connect?
  • Try disabling Bluetooth temporarily, then connect to your primary WiFi. Does it help?
  • Have you installed SSDT-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-CNVW.aml in the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder?
  • Also try moving the Fenvi to the bottom long slot. Be sure to shutdown and flip power switch on PSU to OFF before doing this.

• My SSID is only available at 5.0 GHz. But I tried other WiFi network at 5.0 GHz and connects successfully. And I've also install Windows 10 (dualboot) and on Windows, that network connects and works. The problem is only on macOS.
  • Same result.
  • Yes, I've followed the guide to make a fresh install of Catalina, and SSDT-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-CNVW.aml is on the folder needed. Also I tried removing the SSDT and disabling WiFi on the BIOS but same result.
  • My Fenvi card is on the bottom PCI X1. I've no tried the top PCI X1 because I've the GPU hiding that conector. I've tried the last long PCI X4 and same result.
Thanks!

Anything I am talking about is going to have to do with flashing the card.
Pretty much what I figured. Still reading and will dive in with the parts soon.

• My SSID is only available at 5.0 GHz. But I tried other WiFi network at 5.0 GHz and connects successfully. And I've also install Windows 10 (dualboot) and on Windows, that network connects and works. The problem is only on macOS.
  • Same result.
  • Yes, I've followed the guide to make a fresh install of Catalina, and SSDT-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-CNVW.aml is on the folder needed. Also I tried removing the SSDT and disabling WiFi on the BIOS but same result.
  • My Fenvi card is on the bottom PCI X1. I've no tried the top PCI X1 because I've the GPU hiding that conector. I've tried the last long PCI X4 and same result.
Thanks!
I think what Caseysj was recommending was to try the Fenvi in the bottom LONG slot, not the bottom x1 slot.

• Same result.
Thanks!
Is the original WiFi module plugged in, or still removed? If it’s plugged in, then Windows is probably using it instead of the Fenvi.

Have you tried rebooting the router and also checking to see whether it might be blocking or restricting any MAC addresses?

Back