Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ Congratulations! You did it! This build guide and the ongoing forum thread won me over.

I just ordered the goods to build my FIRST Hackintosh. I've spent a lot of time combing through the guide and thread but I am completely open to anyone's additional advice to make this build go as smoothly as possible. I'll be using this machine primarily for batch photo processing and some light video editing as needed.

Parts List:
  • Gigabyte Z390 Designare
  • i7-8700K
  • Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Cooler
  • Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX580 8Gb
  • 32Gb (2x16) Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 3200MHz
  • 500Gb Samsung Evo SSD
  • BCM94360CS2 card + PCI-E adapter
  • Be Quiet BN619 750W PSU
  • (2) Be Quiet BL071 140mm Silent Wings 3 PWM case fans
  • Fractal Design Meshify C (white) case
  • 32Gb Samsung BAR Plus USB 3.1 Flash Drive
Already Own:
  • LG 27" 4k Monitor (hdmi/DP)
  • Logitech M720 Wireless Mouse
  • Logitech K780 Wireless Keyboard
I should have everything to begin early next week. Thank you all in advance!

Last edited:
Alright after yet another SMBIOS change ( at 18.3 now) I'm up and running using your "EFI-Headless.zip" from post # 1505. All seems well so far, Final Cut runs, machine appears to be stable, etc, etc..

I fail to see how IntelPowerGadget will show the iGPU working. Here's a screen grab of it's output.
Also what are your memory settings for the iGPU in your BIOS?

Thanks for your help.

Yeah mine shows the same yet everything works and I am able to export from Mac X. I was wondering the same thing

@CaseySJ Congratulations! You did it! This build guide and the ongoing forum thread won me over.

I just ordered the goods to build my FIRST Hackintosh. I've spent a lot of time combing through the guide and thread but I am completely open to anyone's additional advice to make this build go as smoothly as possible. I'll be using this machine primarily for batch photo processing and some light video editing as needed.

Parts List:
  • Gigabyte Z390 Designare
  • i7-8700K
  • Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Cooler
  • Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX580 8Gb
  • 32Gb (2x16) Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 3200MHz
  • 500Gb Samsung Evo SSD
  • BCM94369CS2 card + PCI-E adapter
  • Be Quiet BN619 750W PSU
  • (2) Be Quiet BL071 140mm Silent Wings 3 PWM case fans
  • Fractal Design Meshify C (white) case
  • 32Gb Samsung BAR Plus USB 3.1 Flash Drive
Already Own:
  • LG 27" 4k Monitor (hdmi/DP)
  • Logitech M720 Wireless Mouse
  • Logitech K780 Wireless Keyboard
I should have everything to begin early next week. Thank you all in advance!
That's a very good configuration -- glad to see you even went so far as to pick the Samsung Bar Plus USB flash drive!

Couple of comments:
  • The Broadcom card is the BCM94360CS2 (not BCM94369CS2) -- just a typo, I know -- the keys "9" and "0" are adjacent to each other.
  • I would caution you about the Sapphire Nitro+. Please search this forum for the experiences of Nitro+ owners running Mojave. Some have complained about black screens (no video signal) until the Mojave login appears. This could be remedied to some extent by enabling "CSM Boot" in BIOS. I do not have first hand experience with this card so I can only caution you to research this model. If the jury has concluded that this card is fine, then by all means use it.

That's a very good configuration -- glad to see you even went so far as to pick the Samsung Bar Plus USB flash drive!

Couple of comments:
  • The Broadcom card is the BCM94360CS2 (not BCM94369CS2) -- just a typo, I know -- the keys "9" and "0" are adjacent to each other.
  • I would caution you about the Sapphire Nitro+. Please search this forum for the experiences of Nitro+ owners running Mojave. Some have complained about black screens (no video signal) until the Mojave login appears. This could be remedied to some extent by enabling "CSM Boot" in BIOS. I do not have first hand experience with this card so I can only caution you to research this model. If the jury has concluded that this card is fine, then by all means use it.

Thanks for the reply and extra thanks for the heads up on the Nitro+.... I'll try to do more digging to find some first-hand experiences. I'm open to swapping it out to another tried and true card if anyone has a strong recommendation.

OK, well I have definitively determined the source of MY shutdown/sleep problems.
It's my Thunderbolt card. :/
As soon as I remove the card, sleep and shutdown work fine.
Just it occupying a slot causes a problem. Disabling the card in BIOS does not fix the issue.

I know the GC-Alpine Ridge card is not supported on this motherboard. (I bought it for a Z370, then changed to the Z390 motherboard after the fact) I was shocked when it seemed to work, and I don't really have an explanation for why it DID work for several weeks.
But I guess I just have to watch for a GC-Titan Ridge card. Newegg shows them out of stock. Amazon has them for $198. No thanks.

Bummer. :/ but at least I know.

Yes.......Just move config.plist to /EFI/CLOVER folder and check up SMBIOS serial Niumber. SMBIOS must be imac18.3

In headless mode Your monitor must connect to RX580. 4k is OK.

In headless mode only way you can check up iGPU work well or not is IntelPowerGadget.
You cannot see iGPU on your system report and on istatmeny you can see UHD630 but it will now show iGPU work.

Good luck !

Alright I spoke too soon. My machine woke up by itself within 1 hour of "sleep" using your "EFI-Headless" folder & config.

On a positive note I can report that the "Headless iGPU" is definitely working via the
"MacX Video Converter Pro" app (see screenshot). This never worked using the "Spoiler: For Final Cut Pro X (FCPX) Users" in CaseySJ's guide. To be more specific the spoiler did fix FCPX from crashing, it just never enabled "hardware encoding" via the iGPU.

So it's back to the table trying to fix Sleep on my Designare. I'm open to any and all suggestions at this point.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 6.57.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 6.57.13 PM.png
    307.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
  • In BIOS, do you have XHCI-Handoff Enabled? If not, enable it and try again. Otherwise continue down the list.
  • The kernel panic appears to be thrown by the Apple Thunderbolt NHI driver.
  • Do you have anything plugged into any of the 2 Thunderbolt ports? If so, remove them.
  • The large number of ACPI errors are also strange. You should flash BIOS to latest version.
  • After BIOS flash, set all BIOS parameters again and pay special attention to Thunderbolt settings.
  • Do you have any Nvidia graphics cards in this system? If so, remove them.
  • Remove all PCIe cards except for RX 580 and Broadcom WiFi/BT.
EDIT: Just noticed that your config.plist has FixUSB checked on. You should disable that.
I'll try to cover that line by line.
  • It was enabled, so I will continue down the list.
  • Nothing was plugged into the thunderbolt ports, but because of this suggestion, I sprayed them with a can of computer duster just to make sure none of the contacts had anything causing a short.
  • BIOS has now been flashed to the most current!
  • BIOS has been reconfigured. I have the graphics set for IGFX.
  • Only my Sapphire RX 580.
  • They're the only things plugged in.
At this point I tried the install process again. The GUI loaded in Phase 1, however the GUI runs from my GPU HDMI not my motherboard's. I then reformatted my SSD for APFS. Things ran smoothly.

I rebooted and began phase 2. It restarted as expected and I continued the process. It took about 15 minutes for the install to finish up. Rebooted and chose Boot MacOS from Mojave, lo and behold it loaded into the OS!

I attempted to continue down the guide for the post install. I ran MultiBeast, following the guide to the letter. But the system locked up on me during the install. The included picture is the screenshot of the final progress MultiBeast got to before I had to force a shutdown.

I got the system back up and running and it is currently in what I think is a stable instance of Mojave, without any post install stuff. I'm not sure if I should try again following the guide or if I'm going to have to use a different configuration because of the custom config my system needed to get this far.

I would also like to know if it is safe to reconfigure my BIOS to use my RX 580 instead of my IGFX, or if that is going to have to remain as is, because I currently need two monitors set up. One from the IGFX HDMI for BIOS startup and clover, and the other connected to the RX HDMI for when OSX runs.

Thanks again guys for all the help. I've really made some good progress with this project with the help I have been receiving. I wouldn't have even made this far on my own, I know that for sure.

@Ventilator

You can safely change Initial Display Output to PCIe Slot 1 instead of IGFX. That is, in fact, the recommended configuration.

@Ventilator

You can safely change Initial Display Output to PCIe Slot 1 instead of IGFX. That is, in fact, the recommended configuration.
Cool. I'm about to restart and try that. EDIT: Just did that. It locked up when I put in my password in OSX, but after restarting a second time it loaded back into the desktop just fine. Strange. Well, it is up and running.

How about the MultiBeast setup? Should I follow the guide again and hope it doesn't freeze up again, or can you recommend me another configuration? I don't have any post install work successfully completed yet.

Last edited:
Back