Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I can not change the color of the desiganre's LED. You can change LED light from Windows with dual OS.
However, when I activate the MAC, the LED color returns. (Original blue color)
please help......

I found some users are confused what is the headless mode and how can set up.

1. What is "Headless" Mode
That is the mode same as iMac. iMac has iGPU and dGPU which is connected to monitor same as our system. In system report we cannot see iGPU information on Imac same as Hackintosh in headless mode.

*Sample iMac2014 CTO system report

View attachment 385732

*Sample Hackintosh Headless mode

View attachment 385721

2. How can we know iGPU work in Headless mode (Dynamic)
Even if we cannot see iGPU on system report and istatmenu (VirtureSMC) or you can see iGPU in istatmenu but Processor bar never move(FAKESMC), iGPU work as quicksync hardware H264 H265 de/encoders, Compu unit and we can check up it work or not by IntelPowerGadget GFX graph - in Frequency Graph GFX Green line. Surely you can see green line moves only when you do some encoding or decoding job.

*Sample IntelPowerGadget show iGPU Active status - Dynamic

View attachment 385722

3. How can we know iGPU work in Headless mode (Static)
A
nother way you can check up your iGPU work or not by VideoProc and VDADecoderChecker(file attached)

*Sample VideoProc Hardware Info - Static
View attachment 385755

*Sample iMac 2014 Late CTO. Even we cannot see iGPU info on sys report we can find iGPU works by VDADecoderChecker
-Static
View attachment 385731

4. Advantage of Quicksync in Video Editing
If your iGPU works well in Headless mode, FCPX crush problem should be solved and you can use quicksync H264 H265 hardware de/encoding on your FCPX, Davinci Resolve and other Video editing tools. That means de/encoding performance is greater and cpu usage is lower than you don't use Quicksync.

* In Davinci Resolve H265 rendering with Quicksync and RX580 works together;
GFX frequency is around 1Ghz, RX580 works hardly but 80% of CPU is idle.

View attachment 385724

* In Davinci Resolve H264 rendering with Quicksync and RX580 works together;
GFX frequency is higher than 1Ghz(Max is 1.2Ghz), RX580 Fully utilized but 50% of CPU is idle.

View attachment 385725

* In FCPX H264 rendering with Quicksync and RX580 works together;
GFX frequency is around 1.1Ghz, RX580 works too but 80% of CPU is idle.

View attachment 385726

5. Advantage of Quicksync in Video Playing.
Ok You can say I don't use video editing tools so why should I set up Quicksync work?
This is the answer why still you need to set up quicksync even if you don't need video editing.
https://4kmedia.org/samsung-travel-with-my-pet-hdr-uhd-4k-demo
This is sample video HEVC(H265) 4K file. Even if you don't use quicksync still you can watch because OSX has software codec and your CPU is powerful enough to decode this 4K file but CPU Usage should be high and consume lots of energy but if you make quicksync active, as you see screen capture below, CPU usage is just 6% and energy consumption is very low. Player is VLC which is the best player support Hardware decoding.
Not only off line video playing but also online video stream like Youtube, Netflix and others you can enjoy Quicksync Hardware decoder's and It will make your system less energy consumption, quiet Fan noise.

View attachment 385736

6. Basic SET UP
This is the set up iGPU for 8th & 9th Gen UHD630 headless mode.
View attachment 385738

Platform-id is different with Spoiler: For Final Cut Pro X (FCPX) Users
Because It was not work for me and so I followed

An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins of tonymac
View attachment 385740

7. SMBIOS 18.3.
The reason I choose is our system is similar with imac 2017 except 7th gen cpu or 8,9th.
MacMini 8.1 actually works not in headless mode. She use iGPU as her main GPU means her iGPU connector and framebuffers fully active. So if you don't have dGPU and only iGPU you have, you can use SMBIOS MacMini8.1.
In this case if you ask me I will provide you iGPU active framebuffer setup for Designare MB.

and recommended by An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins

View attachment 385741

8. one more thing
We must change model name RX5xx or Vegaxx to AMD RX5xx or AMD Vegaxx.
It is important specially for Photoshop and Lightroom users.

View attachment 385796

9. Conclusion

Please check up your system and if yours not work like what I showed that means even you believe you set up iGPU well but actually your iGPU is not properly set up. And mistakenly setup iGPU makes many problems like sleep & wake up and FCPX crush.
That's why some users find when they turn off iGPU on BIOS they can solve many problems.

What I know is if you set up headless mode well and all other set up follow CaseySJ's guide well your system should work charm and smooth as you wish.

Actually Headless mode is not a only mode we can set up. Another choice is set up like macmin8.1 with eGPU means active all connectors and framebuffers of iGPU, and make iGPU as a Prior GPU and make dGPU work together. But it has some problem to connect monitor for single monitor users and Adobe apps such a photoshop, lightroom make openGL works with dGPU. So I would like to recommend you choose "Headless Mode".

I wish good luck with you.

Thank you for your excellent post.

I curious which particular RX580 card you are using?
I'm beginning to suspect my Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 as a possible culprit in my ongoing sleep issues.

Here's where I'm at with it.

If I disable the iGPU in BIOS, the machine sleeps fine. This isn't a fix as I have Headless iGPU enabled and want to keep it.
When I put the machine to "sleep" it wakes itself back up right around the time of the setting for "Display Sleep" in the Energy Saver Preference Pane. Currently "Display Sleep" is set to 1 hour.
If I let the machine idle for 1 hour, it puts the monitor AND the computer to sleep right at the "Display Sleep" setting in the Energy Saver Preference Pane. What's most interesting is the computer will remain asleep at this point until I wake it.

I know that some users they would just live with the system as is, and if the Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 is the root of the trouble I probably will. (till I upgrade to a Vega56 or 64)

Anyhow thanks for your sharing your knowledge.

Glad to hear it!

By the way, are you using a Sapphire Pulse RX 580?

And if so, did you update VBIOS in Windows using ATI Win Flash? Which version of VBIOS worked?
Yes, rx 580 from Sapphire. I flashed it using ATIFlash, yes. I've tried two versions, one didn't pass atiflash checking. I thunk Sapphire.RX580.8192.170324.rom was the one that fwas flashed successfully.

Several people are currently reporting problems after first reboot. The Build Guide suggests either "MacOS Extended (Journaled)" or "APFS" but I may have to change this. Can you please answer the following:
  1. Did you install 10.14.3 directly? Or 10.14.2?
  2. I assume you originally formatted your Mojave SSD as MacOS Extended (Journaled). When the system restarted automatically after Phase 1, it encountered a fatal error during boot? Do you remember the error?
  3. But after formatting the Mojave SSD as APFS, installation succeeded?
I only succeeded booting from 10.4 with USBInjectAll.kext put in drivers folder on usb drive. I've tried preparing usb drive using instructions, but that didn't work. First time I formatted it as HFS+. After first reboot, installer said that install can not be completed. Then I tried formatting it as APFS, and then after first reboot, install continued successfully. After that, I used 10.4.3 combo updater and then followed your instructions.

What do you mean ? I need clover to boot if I just remove it nothing happen, I'm at step 17 off the detailed install process. If I unplug it before boot I just go straight to BIOS, if i do after clover is 'on' it just freeze when I select bot from my Mojave disk.
@ajulien
Assuming you named your system disk "MacOs"...
When you are booting up for phase 3, are you booting to "MacOS on MacOs"?
Do you see an option to boot "MacOS Install on MacOS"?

If so, you need to boot to that and let it finish up the install.

@kenntkim66,

You provided a lot of good information in your last post. I would like to update the build guide as follows, but would first like to get feedback from everyone who wishes to provide feedback...
  1. For FCPX, the revised build guide will recommend Platform ID 0x3E910003 and 0x3E920003. It will ask user to try 3E910003 first, and if there are any issues, then try the other one.
  2. Revised guide will rename RX5XX to "AMD RX5XX" and rename "VegaXX" to "AMD VegaXX". In this way, the AMD cards will appear first in alphabetical order (before "Intel UHD 630") and will therefore be prioritized by Adobe applications such as Photoshop and Lightroom.
  3. Finally, the revised guide will provide a link to your full post so people can see all of the HEVC and H.264 benchmark data that you provided.
I'll update the build guide over the weekend, so if anyone wishes to offer any feedback on this, please do so now.

Last edited:
@ajulien
Assuming you named your system disk "MacOs"...
When you are booting up for phase 3, are you booting to "MacOS on MacOs"?
Do you see an option to boot "MacOS Install on MacOS"?

If so, you need to boot to that and let it finish up the install.
So I figured I had the same kind of problem that @Ventilator, so I did his thing... didn't work so I did the exact opposite I made all the install with the chipset graphics disabled in the CMOS and it worked I had a few freeze here and there, and I will try re-enabling him monday ! (I have a nitro sapphire so... maybe it has something to do with it) thanks any way!

I will keep you updated !

right after booting my system sometime the following problem appeared:
Vega 64 ist running at above 100% without opening any app!
It is vega 64 sapphire

I found some users are confused what is the headless mode and how can set up.

1. What is "Headless" Mode
That is the mode same as iMac. iMac has iGPU and dGPU which is connected to monitor same as our system. In system report we cannot see iGPU information on Imac same as Hackintosh in headless mode.

*Sample iMac2014 CTO system report

View attachment 385732

*Sample Hackintosh Headless mode

View attachment 385721

2. How can we know iGPU work in Headless mode (Dynamic)
Even if we cannot see iGPU on system report and istatmenu (VirtureSMC) or you can see iGPU in istatmenu but Processor bar never move(FAKESMC), iGPU work as quicksync hardware H264 H265 de/encoders, Compu unit and we can check up it work or not by IntelPowerGadget GFX graph - in Frequency Graph GFX Green line. Surely you can see green line moves only when you do some encoding or decoding job.

*Sample IntelPowerGadget show iGPU Active status - Dynamic

View attachment 385722

3. How can we know iGPU work in Headless mode (Static)
A
nother way you can check up your iGPU work or not by VideoProc and VDADecoderChecker(file attached)

*Sample VideoProc Hardware Info - Static
View attachment 385755

*Sample iMac 2014 Late CTO. Even we cannot see iGPU info on sys report we can find iGPU works by VDADecoderChecker
-Static
View attachment 385731

4. Advantage of Quicksync in Video Editing
If your iGPU works well in Headless mode, FCPX crush problem should be solved and you can use quicksync H264 H265 hardware de/encoding on your FCPX, Davinci Resolve and other Video editing tools. That means de/encoding performance is greater and cpu usage is lower than you don't use Quicksync.

* In Davinci Resolve H265 rendering with Quicksync and RX580 works together;
GFX frequency is around 1Ghz, RX580 works hardly but 80% of CPU is idle.

View attachment 385724

* In Davinci Resolve H264 rendering with Quicksync and RX580 works together;
GFX frequency is higher than 1Ghz(Max is 1.2Ghz), RX580 Fully utilized but 50% of CPU is idle.

View attachment 385725

* In FCPX H264 rendering with Quicksync and RX580 works together;
GFX frequency is around 1.1Ghz, RX580 works too but 80% of CPU is idle.

View attachment 385726

5. Advantage of Quicksync in Video Playing.
Ok You can say I don't use video editing tools so why should I set up Quicksync work?
This is the answer why still you need to set up quicksync even if you don't need video editing.
https://4kmedia.org/samsung-travel-with-my-pet-hdr-uhd-4k-demo
This is sample video HEVC(H265) 4K file. Even if you don't use quicksync still you can watch because OSX has software codec and your CPU is powerful enough to decode this 4K file but CPU Usage should be high and consume lots of energy but if you make quicksync active, as you see screen capture below, CPU usage is just 6% and energy consumption is very low. Player is VLC which is the best player support Hardware decoding.
Not only off line video playing but also online video stream like Youtube, Netflix and others you can enjoy Quicksync Hardware decoder's and It will make your system less energy consumption, quiet Fan noise.

View attachment 385736

6. Basic SET UP
This is the set up iGPU for 8th & 9th Gen UHD630 headless mode.
View attachment 385738

Platform-id is different with Spoiler: For Final Cut Pro X (FCPX) Users
Because It was not work for me and so I followed

An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins of tonymac
View attachment 385740

7. SMBIOS 18.3.
The reason I choose is our system is similar with imac 2017 except 7th gen cpu or 8,9th.
MacMini 8.1 actually works not in headless mode. She use iGPU as her main GPU means her iGPU connector and framebuffers fully active. So if you don't have dGPU and only iGPU you have, you can use SMBIOS MacMini8.1.
In this case if you ask me I will provide you iGPU active framebuffer setup for Designare MB.

and recommended by An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins

View attachment 385741

8. one more thing
We must change model name RX5xx or Vegaxx to AMD RX5xx or AMD Vegaxx.
It is important specially for Photoshop and Lightroom users.

View attachment 385796

9. Conclusion

Please check up your system and if yours not work like what I showed that means even you believe you set up iGPU well but actually your iGPU is not properly set up. And mistakenly setup iGPU makes many problems like sleep & wake up and FCPX crush.
That's why some users find when they turn off iGPU on BIOS they can solve many problems.

What I know is if you set up headless mode well and all other set up follow CaseySJ's guide well your system should work charm and smooth as you wish.

Actually Headless mode is not a only mode we can set up. Another choice is set up like macmin8.1 with eGPU means active all connectors and framebuffers of iGPU, and make iGPU as a Prior GPU and make dGPU work together. But it has some problem to connect monitor for single monitor users and Adobe apps such a photoshop, lightroom make openGL works with dGPU. So I would like to recommend you choose "Headless Mode".

I wish good luck with you.
Does the "SSDT-COSMETIC.aml" from your "EFI_Headless" folder handle the rename of RX5xx to AMD RX5xx?

Thank you for your excellent post.

I curious which particular RX580 card you are using?
I'm beginning to suspect my Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 as a possible culprit in my ongoing sleep issues.

Here's where I'm at with it.

If I disable the iGPU in BIOS, the machine sleeps fine. This isn't a fix as I have Headless iGPU enabled and want to keep it.
When I put the machine to "sleep" it wakes itself back up right around the time of the setting for "Display Sleep" in the Energy Saver Preference Pane. Currently "Display Sleep" is set to 1 hour.
If I let the machine idle for 1 hour, it puts the monitor AND the computer to sleep right at the "Display Sleep" setting in the Energy Saver Preference Pane. What's most interesting is the computer will remain asleep at this point until I wake it.

I know that some users they would just live with the system as is, and if the Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 is the root of the trouble I probably will. (till I upgrade to a Vega56 or 64)

Anyhow thanks for your sharing your knowledge.

Mine is Sappire Nitro+ RX580. Exactly same with yours.
and this is my set up Energy saver pane.

If I am in same situation I will try these.

1st. I will check up BIOS setting carefully ......exactly same with CaseySJ's guide or not

2nd. I will check up clover configurator setting compare with others whose system sleep well.
You have several example form me and others. In my case FixWAK was useful

3nd I will check up my driver64UEFI folder and Kexts in /EFI/EFI/Clover/Kexts, /L/E to find there is drivers or kexts I don't need or I don't understand what they do.

4th One thing clear is your sleepless problem is come from iGPU and not so high possibility problem is Notro + because that is most popular GPU on Hackintosh world.
I will check iGPU set up is really work well. If not work perfectly that means set up has problem.
For that I should know iGPU works perfectly or not.
That's why in last post I try to show the example how iGPU works when it's set up well.

5th I wil try repair permission because many strange problem come from permission in my experience,

6th I will try enable the Old Power Options.
Because in some side your system sleep in certain condition and thats related with energy pane setting

That's all I can think in this moment.
There is no reason your system make trouble if you did set up exactly same with CaseySJ's guide and my(?) iGPU set up.
High possibilty is you made some small mistake when you set up your system
Please check up one by one very carefully if you make check list and do that I guess you can find something wrong.

Good news is in my Korean Hackintosh community (https://x86.co.kr) all the members who set up iGPU success does not have sleep and wake up problem.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back