Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hey CaseySJ & Elias64

Great job on the TB keep on goin'
But ... Cassey .. i followed your guide, installed Catalina 15.2 than updated to 15.3 without a glitch
So with the kexts & SSDT's all works great. Also the Apple Thunderbolt Gigabit Ethernet with Apple TB3-to-TB2 adapter. I was not shown in the TB pane. ( see files )

I hope at the end of the work you do with Alias64 my Antelope Discrete will work to. ( Actualy is doing strange things witch are way over my level of understanding ).

If I can help with logs or tests i will be glad.

Regards
Hello @Hentz,

Your setup is okay -- no need to worry about the System Information --> Thunderbolt page because it will always say No drivers are loaded until we get Thunderbolt Bus fully working.
  • You already have Thunderbolt working.
  • You already have Thunderbolt hot plug capability.
But...
  • No one with Designare Z390 has Thunderbolt Bus.
  • No one with Designare Z390 has Thunderbolt Local Node.
  • That is why System Information --> Thunderbolt says "No drivers are loaded".
We are trying to activate Thunderbolt Bus and Thunderbolt Local Node using a heavily modified custom SSDT. This will provide extra Thunderbolt functionality. But again, you already have basic Thunderbolt functionality.

Alright, it's debug time!

@edunon, I've attached a debug-version of the EFIClone script to this post. If you'd be so kind as to run this modified version directly via the terminal and upload both the EFIClone.log file as well as the entire output from the Terminal itself.
I have castrated this version such that it will never, under any circumstances, actually touch any of your files on disk, so it is safe to run it.

You can run the script by directly referencing it like so:
Code:
sudo /Users/<your_username>/Downloads/EFIClone-v4-DEBUG.sh / "/Volumes/Mac OS BK" 0 ""
I've grabbed the name of your backup volume from the original log file. If this is not correct, please adjust it to the one you actually want. Otherwise, simply run the script.
Also, please fill in the actual username of your account on this machine where I've indicated the placeholder.

Additionally, please provide the output of the following two commands:
Code:
diskutil list

Code:
diskutil apfs list

Attachments

• EFIClone-v4-DEBUG.sh.zip
    3 KB · Views: 59
Several thoughts / suggestions:
  • This suggests that macOS might have become corrupted -- i.e. one file or .plist in the "system" folder might have been accidentally damaged, whether due to hard reboot, forced power shutdown, misbehaving application or drivers, etc.
  • Step 1:
    • Boot from your backup disk and see whether the system is stable.
    • If it's stable and the backup is not too old, try recovering from the backup (i.e. clone the backup back to the main disk).
      • As you may know from reading the first part of Going the Extra Mile in Post #1, I separate my Home folder from the main system disk. This allows me to backup and restore just the System folder. It has helped on numerous occasions to fix these kinds of macOS anomalies.
  • Step 2:
    • This is a more drastic step.
    • If the backup also suffers from this problem, then install macOS from scratch on a spare SSD -- a cheap SATA SSD attached to an external USB 3 enclosure. When installation is complete, do not install any of your third-party applications -- only use the apps that come bundled with macOS.
    • Then check whether system is stable. If so, start installing your apps one by one until the problem resurfaces -- or hopefully the problem will not resurface at all. In this latter case (if problem does not resurface) then you'll have to continue installing your apps on the new disk and then make it the primary one by cloning it to the main SSD.

Thanks for the reply @CaseySJ . My backup script runs every single night, so I think it's safe to assume the problem exists there too. I will give it a shot anyway though, worst case I'll just do a whole new reinstall from scratch, no big deal. I just remembered that I actually created a spare backup a while ago, shortly after I swapped out the OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi file. Do you think I should be able to move my home folder to a new drive now, and then backup my main NVME drive with the early backup? This backup is on a 2.5" HDD, not SSD. Did you say you backup /only/ the System folder? By that do you mean just swap the folders out, or do you accomplish this through CCC?

This was my experience with a different audio interface, the Focusrite Clarett 2Pre:

@darko1002001 discovered a ground loop related to a Thunderbolt 2 dock was creating distortion:

Hopefully that'll help you find the source!

Hi! I am thinking of upgrading my 4th gen intel hackintosh system to a 9th gen processor. I use a Clarett 8PreX interface and would like to know what you used to get the thunderbolt to work on the thunderbolt 3 motherboard input port? Did you just use an adaptor? Thanks so much!

Thanks for the reply @CaseySJ . My backup script runs every single night, so I think it's safe to assume the problem exists there too. I will give it a shot anyway though, worst case I'll just do a whole new reinstall from scratch, no big deal. I just remembered that I actually created a spare backup a while ago, shortly after I swapped out the OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi file. Do you think I should be able to move my home folder to a new drive now, and then backup my main NVME drive with the early backup?
Yes it's safe to copy the home folder to a new drive. However, I'm not sure what you mean by the second clause of that sentence, "and then backup my main NVME drive with the early backup"? If you're wondering whether it's safe to restore the main NVME drive from the early backup, then then answer is again "yes" but that will mean that the home folder will also be restored to the main NVME drive.
This backup is on a 2.5" HDD, not SSD. Did you say you backup /only/ the System folder? By that do you mean just swap the folders out, or do you accomplish this through CCC?
Because my Home and System folders are on two separate disks, I only backup the System disk using Carbon Copy Cloner, but I use Acronis True Image 2020 to backup the entire system onto a 18TB RAID-5 NAS drive.

WOW!!! This is brilliant...

Will incorporate all of these changes this evening and try the following devices:
  1. Apple Thunderbolt Gigabit Ethernet with Apple TB3-to-TB2 adapter
  2. PowerColor Gaming Station X eGPU with Radeon RX 580 installed inside
  3. Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro
Last night only item 1 generated a device tree under DSB1/DSB4.

Regarding TBID, I'll add this: Name (TBID, 0x04).
Regarding LPMN (in UPSB.PCED), where is this defined?
@Elias64Fr,

After making all of the changes listed in your last post (except for LPMN) I see the following behavior:
  • TNODE/TBUS appear every time from a cold boot as long as a Thunderbolt device is connected.
  • However, whether I connect the Thunderbolt device to Port 1 or Port 2, it always seems to attach to DSB1, but never to DSB4.
  • The simple Apple Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter connects to ThunderboltPort@3 and the full device tree appears in IOReg.
  • However, more complicated devices such as the Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro will connect, but then disconnect after less than 20 seconds -- this is the same behavior you reported with your eGPU.

Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro attaches (left) and then detaches after a few seconds (right).
Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 7.07.02 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-27 at 7.07.13 PM.png

When Thunderbolt Dock is connected to Port 2, it still seems to attach (incomplete device tree) to DSB1 (nothing on DSB4).
Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 7.00.45 PM.png

Even the PowerColor Gaming Station eGPU turned on and I could see the second screen -- for about 10 seconds!! Then it deactivated.
Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 7.37.08 PM.png

Here's an example of a Thunderbolt device connected to Receptacle 2, but attached to DSB1 instead of DSB4:
Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 4.25.22 AM.png

Last edited:
Does your workflow require the projector to be connected all the time? If the projector is only used occasionally, one can connect it after the system has booted.

Something else to try would be to connect the three displays to a real Mac if possible and observe the behavior during startup.

Yet another option is to check the projector’s owner’s manual for any recommended procedures for connecting to a PC.

And yet another option would be to try Platform ID 0x3E9B0007 and connect the projector via onboard HDMI. This would also require adding the HDMI frame buffer patch.

So coupled with using Platform ID 0x3E9B0007, i'll need to switch back to iMac19,1, right? I'm willing to try that out, but will DRM content play?

Now that I'm on iMacPro1,1 I've been trying to get DRM content to play back properly. Netflix on Safari was giving me a HDCP error. I disconnected the projector from HDMI and then Netflix started working just fine. So, it's obvious that there's an issue with the way HDMI works on this build. Any idea, Casey?

Thanks!

I'm trying to enable NVRam but I get this strange message in grub.
Any idea?

Attachments

• IMG_2093.jpeg
    IMG_2093.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 107

Attachments

• Captură de ecran din 2020-02-28 la 12.42.56.png
    Captură de ecran din 2020-02-28 la 12.42.56.png
    118.9 KB · Views: 79
Hi All,
Tried to update from 10.14.16 to 10.15.3 today. The update went fine, however I'm getting a panic when booting catalina. I am able to boot into catalina using safe mode, without monitors and use screen sharing from my MBP to investigate - and it looks like it's whatever green (1.3.6) thats causing the panic. However, I can't mount the EFI from safe mode to experiment. Blocking the injected kexts from clover also results in a panic.

I'm just using the IGPU to drive two monitors. No graphics card installed.

I updated lilu (1.4.1), whatevergreen (1.3.6 from 1.3.0) and ALC before updating to catalina. Under mojave/whatevergreen 1.3.0 everything worked great. I remember a while ago trying to update lilu/whatevergreen to the latest versions and getting a panic so I restored the older versions but I read on this thread that I need to use WEG ≥ 1.3.4 for catalina.

I have shikigva=60 boot option set. Currently trying to get into my backup (which is on an old-fashioned HDD and takes an age to boot up!) to change/check my clover config.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had these issues with WEG/Lilu? Any advice about updating Lilu/WEG?

Back