Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I've been trying to get native NVRAM working on my system without much luck.

Having successfully unlocked the BIOS variable, removed RC scripts etc my system won't boot past the original row of ++++ symbols on the screen and I've had to revert to a backup.

Does this native NVRAM system rely on the OcQuirks-4.efi setup? I'm running AptioMemoryFix.efi

Many thanks Casey

Please boot your system from your bootable backup disk, then mount EFI partition of the macOS SSD and post a screenshot of the expanded CLOVER folder that shows:
  • drivers/UEFI folder
  • drivers64UEFI folder (if it exists)

Hi,

This is the screenshot from the folders. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-02-01 at 19.01.44.png
    Screenshot 2020-02-01 at 19.01.44.png
    174.1 KB · Views: 80
Hello again. I've just recently tried getting native NVRAM to work but unfortunately I've run into some problems.
I followed the instructions very carefully and have since confirmed multiple times that RC scripts are removed, EmuVariableUefi is removed and that KernelPM and AppleIntelCPUPM are disabled in my config.plist.
I have also reset my CMOS before posting here and double-checked that the MSRE register is actually unlocked.
Alas, despite all this seemingly being faithful to the original guide, I'm running into a kernel panic on boot, the verbose startup log of which you can find attached to this post.

Unfortunately I'm not that well-versed in Hackintoshing, so I can not tell exactly what this means. I suspect this might be something to do with memory allocation / memmap (hence me resetting CMOS), but again, not sure.

For good measure I have also attached screenshots of both, my drivers/Uefi directory as well as kexts/Other, in case this is helpful.

I'm running the latest Catalina update, with everything created based off the Catalina Mini Guide.

Attachments

• IMG_20200201_185018.jpg
    IMG_20200201_185018.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot 2020-02-01 at 19.01.54.png
    Screenshot 2020-02-01 at 19.01.54.png
    24 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot 2020-02-01 at 19.02.10.png
    Screenshot 2020-02-01 at 19.02.10.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 67
After upgrade repoert,
Boodting time is long then before,
Hello CaseySJ, this is is crazy, I started the upgrade today, from an external BAckup SSD, didn't notice I pluged into a USB3, anyway at the beginning was ok then the circle with the line came up, I was like F$X#@, I wait for it for a bit 20MN or so a I I notice the screen was moving, I unplug the drive and moved to the USB 2 port and everything started to move again scary moments. Still finishing the installation, I can't sing yet. Any way Thanks hope this makes sense.
I will report soon.

By the way, question, I have an M2 ssd, install in the machine, can I repeat the instructions direct into the M2ssd, or I clone my BackUp into the M2ssd, I believe the question is if the M2ssd is goinf=g to affect the installation?
Thanks
Hello, everyone, after the upgrade to Catalina, I have some problems:
*Takas to long to boot Catalina
*Freeze after sleep
My Booting arguments:
darkwake=0
slide=0
shikigva=60
-v
Any idea?
Thanks for your help.

@kwalter & @byteminer, I had the same ++++ on some attempts as well as other errors while troubleshooting. In my case it turned out to be the FwRuntimeServices.efi file. Make sure you are using FwRuntimeServices.efi file dated Jan 6, 2020 not the one from November that was used in conjunction with OcQuirks-4.efi

@kwalter & @byteminer, I had the same ++++ on some attempts as well as other errors while troubleshooting. In my case it turned out to be the FwRuntimeServices.efi file. Make sure you are using FwRuntimeServices.efi file dated Jan 6, 2020 not the one from November that was used in conjunction with OcQuirks-4.efi

Many thanks, this did indeed do the trick!
I saw your original posts with a similar problem, but I must've missed the resolution. Thanks for the tip, NCRAM is now properly working.

Hi,

This is the screenshot from the folders. Thanks for your help!
WOW! You have too many files on your UEFI drivers folder. Did your mouse got stuck while installing Clover or something? (haha just a joke, sorry). Here is what you need to do:

1. Move OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi from /drivers64UEFI to /UEFI.
2. Delete /drivers64UEFI.
3. Delete everything in
/UEFI except for this files:
  • SMCHelper.efi
  • VBoxHfs.efi
  • OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi
  • FSInject.efi
  • DataHubDxe.efi
  • AudioDxe.efi
  • ApfsDriverLoader.efi
  • EmuVariableUefi.efi
  • FakeSMC.efi
You should also have a file called FakeSMC.efi. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!

By the time you finish, you should have only one folder called /UEFI with the listed files inside. Does the machine boot OK now?

Last edited:
here's something weird-

having just finished a fresh Catalina install
everything is working beautifully...Geekbench5 GPU test = 59136

one thing I noticed is that WEG and LILU are not installed in Catalina/Library/Extensions

The reason being that I did not see those instructions in the mini-guide
[though they are installed in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other]

is this normal?

Last edited:
here's something weird-

having just finished a fresh Catalina install
everything is working beautifully...Geekbench5 GPU test = 59136

one thing I noticed is that WEG and LILU are not installed in Catalina/Library/Extensions

The reason being that I did not see those instructions in the mini-guide
[though they are installed in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other]

is this normal?

From February 2020, ALL hack kexts (the ones we install ourselves, such as weg and Lilu) should be now installed in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and removed from L/E. Don't forget to rebuild your kext cache after removing them from L/E.

Back