Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Sorry, I had the Klingon cloaking device turned on. Should be visible now!
Youre a god, working perfect now, only thing i notice now is i just tried to hot plug my UA apollo and that doesnt seem to work, if there is somewhere i can donate a beer or a coffee to you please point me that way, thank you so much

So, i was having some trouble installing the os, but after updating the firmware of the ssd everything went really smooth - until - the mac os welcome screen - it doesnt work on the internal graphic card - it just freezes - and on the gpu it does this
(you really cant hear it on the video, but i guess the gpu fan spins for a second and the it does that off center thing)
When i'm in verbose mode i'm getting the ''gIOScreenLockState 3''

The strange thing is that everything works video related until this point.
The specs are .Z390 designare .i7 9700k .Asus Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB .Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 NVMe .Crucial Kit 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4

I followed this guide step by step.
I'm installing mac os catalina
If anyone could help me it would be really nice

Youre a god, working perfect now, only thing i notice now is i just tried to hot plug my UA apollo and that doesnt seem to work, if there is somewhere i can donate a beer or a coffee to you please point me that way, thank you so much
Glad to hear it. Regarding the UA Apollo, it's often necessary to update firmware on the device and install latest macOS drivers. We can also check whether Thunderbolt is active by looking at System Preferences --> PCI and checking for the Thunderbolt Native Host Interface (NHI).

Glad to hear it. Regarding the UA Apollo, it's often necessary to update firmware on the device and install latest macOS drivers. We can also check whether Thunderbolt is active by looking at System Preferences --> PCI and checking for the Thunderbolt Native Host Interface (NHI).
The Thunderbolt works. It's just hotplug. Sorry I wasn't clear.

I cannot be this dumb, sorry! I checked in grub again and indeed MSR was locked. I performed the steps described in the mini guide and now the variable is equal to 0x00. I really do remembering checking before going back into the OS. Don't know what happened to me. Thanks again and sorry for the inconvenience!

This happened to me too! I actually booted (via Clover) into Mojave and Catalina and had working native NVRAM, but somehow the setting was lost after I rebooted again via OpenCore. This caused me several hours of debugging to figure out; it never occurred to me the setting could be lost. I nearly gave up and went back to emulated NVRAM. Thankfully I had a bootable backup and could go back if needed!

EDIT: Before trying to boot my system via OpenCore, I made BIOS changes to disable the iGPU and change the operating system type to "Windows 8/10" per the OpenCore guide. @docfiru reported he lost the MSR unlock after BIOS changes. Maybe that's related? I'll test again later today.

Last edited:
So, i was having some trouble installing the os, but after updating the firmware of the ssd everything went really smooth - until - the mac os welcome screen - it doesnt work on the internal graphic card - it just freezes - and on the gpu it does this
(you really cant hear it on the video, but i guess the gpu fan spins for a second and the it does that off center thing)
When i'm in verbose mode i'm getting the ''gIOScreenLockState 3''

The strange thing is that everything works video related until this point.
The specs are .Z390 designare .i7 9700k .Asus Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB .Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 NVMe .Crucial Kit 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4

I followed this guide step by step.
I'm installing mac os catalina
If anyone could help me it would be really nice
Some questions:
  • When you say "macOS Welcome Screen" do you mean the macOS Installer screen?
  • Which video port are you using (HDMI or DisplayPort) on the Asus RX 5700 XT?
  • When you attempted to install macOS using iGPU, were you using HDMI port or DisplayPort?
    • And was the Asus RX 5700 XT installed or fully removed?
  • Which version of Clover do you have? Clover version number will appear at the bottom of the Clover Boot Menu. If you don't see version number, just press F1 at the same Clover Boot Menu.
Please answer all of these questions.

@CaseySJ, OK, so the Thunderbolt tab says no drivers loaded, even though its currently working with the Apollo, seems that it has to be powered on while the PSU for the computer is off. Then powering up the computer it works. I think must have messed up somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
@CaseySJ ok so the thunderbolt tab says no drivers loaded, even though its currently working with the apollo, seems that it has to be powered on while the psu for the computer is off, then powering up the computer it works, think i must have messed up somewhere
...which is why I said to check ”System Information —> PCI”! The Thunderbolt page will always say “No drivers are loaded” until the day we fix Thunderbolt Bus...

...which is why I said to check ”System Information —> PCI”! The Thunderbolt page will always say “No drivers are loaded” until the day we fix Thunderbolt Bus...
Oh, my bad. OK on PCI. I'm only seeing the iGPU. I'm guessing there is supposed to be more there.

Back