Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

It seem that there is some problem with com.apple.driver.X86PlatformShim included on CPU0 and related to CPU plugin-type for CPU PM
Thank you @Elias64Fr. I can see that now. Would you say this is to do with the CPU or a driver perhaps?

(very low priority post)
*** Mini-Guide: Using Hackintool to Set Headless Platform ID 0x3E980003 ***

I've set my Hack to headless platform as mentioned in the guide (imac19,1) , then deactivated the iGPU in BIOS. Now I experienced the known problem of jpegs crashing the perview.app.

I swithed my iGPU back on in the BIOS now everything works again, though the iGPU does not show up in System report.
Should I be concerned running into erros/problems soon?

I am booting OC and F9b without setting CFG-Lock and NVRAM seems to work fine. Is that unexpected?

I'm not sure about all the correlations between NVRAM and CFG-Lock.
I think CFG-Lock precludes the OS from writing to certain regions of bios, so you could be in a situation where you have some access to make NVRAM work, but there are less obvious things not working right behind the scenes.
I make sure to turn off CFG-Lock because people more knowledgable than I say it is a good idea. :D

Two Test Conditions:

1. With _E17 still present (same as before).
View attachment 447117 View attachment 447118

2. With _E17 empty (method still present, but calls to AMPE and UMPE removed).
  • Booted with USB 3.1 Gen 1 flash disk and Apple TB3 GigE adapter both connected before boot.
  • Both devices disabled after booting.
  • Then hot-unplugged the GigE adapter. No hang!
  • Suddenly USB 3.1 Gen 1 flash disk mounted and works fully!
  • Then hot-plugged the GigE adapter. No hang!
  • But USB 3.1 Gen 1 flash disk unmounted after 5-10 seconds and notification appeared: "Disk Not Ejected Properly"
  • Then hot-unplugged the GigE adapter. No hang!
  • Now USB 3.1 Gen 1 flash disk reappeared! And still works.
  • (But GigE device does not work.)

Update:
  • Have to stop here now. Can continue this evening.
  • Will get USB Power State of XHC2 in the evening.
@Elias64Fr,

I'll create a summary and test plan here before continuing with testing this evening (about 9 hours from now).

ThunderboltConfig
  • Based on this post, I tested with:
    • ThunderboltConfig =
      • 00021c00 02000503 01000400 05030200 03000503 01000000 03030200 01000200.
      • Let's call this one TCONFIG-2
    • Did not seem to make any progress with this string, but I haven't given up on it yet.
    • Nearly all of the good or hopeful results posted previously are with...
    • ThunderboltConfig =
      • 0002FFFF 04000301 01000400 05010200 03000301 01000000 03010200 02000100.
      • Let's call this one TCONFIG-1
Fixing SSP1 and SSP2 with Companion Port
  • Modifications Made:
    • This fixes SSP1 and SSP2 to USB Type C (0x09).
    • Adds XHC companion ports 0x08 (HS08) and 0x0D (HS13).
    • Adds USB Power Properties.
    • Defines FS, LS, HS devices (USB Full Speed, USB Low Speed, USB High Speed) -- these are USB 1.x and 2.x.
  • All of the results from this morning are with these changes.
  • TNODE/TBUS appeared two times this morning, but each time the system hanged about 10 seconds after login was complete.
    • This was with TCONFIG-1.
    • This means, after I enter Catalina login password, then 10 seconds later system hangs.
    • But the fact that TNODE/TBUS even appeared with these settings is a good sign.
Booting with USB 3.1 Gen 1 Flash Drive
  • During this test, GPE _E17 was in use. This means any attempt to hot-plug or hot-unplug causes immediate GUI hang.
  • So this test was done with USB drive already connected before boot.
  • When system booted up, the USB disk mounted automatically after a few seconds.
  • USB flash disk was 100% usable. Good sign!
Booting with Apple TB-to-GbE Adapter (w/Apple TB3-to-TB2 adapter)
  • On 2 out of 20-30 boot attempts this morning, the Apple TB-to-GbE device tree under RP05 was fully materialized.
    • Shows randomness / inconsistent device state from boot to boot.
  • System Information --> PCI showed that drivers were loaded.
  • But the Ethernet port did not respond when Ethernet cable was plugged in.
  • So partial progress!
Empty GPE E_17 Method
  • Because hot-plug and hot-unplug were causing immediate GUI hangs, we decided to empty the method by simply removing the following instructions from the method:
    • Removed call to UPSB.AMPE() -- this normally invokes a Notify on NHI0
    • Removed call to UPSB.UMPE() -- this normally invokes a Notify on XHC2 and XHC
  • But Gigabyte's default handler (XE17) was not called. Maybe we should call it?? Will try this in the evening.
  • With this change, the system no longer hangs with either hot-plug or hot-unplug, but Thunderbolt devices do not actually hot-plug or hot-unplug. Their state remains the same as it was at boot.
  • As mentioned, I will invoke the default XE17 handler and see what happens.
Obtaining XHC2 Power State Properties with No Device Connected
  • Because SSP1/SSP2 devices do not always appear in IOReg, it takes several reboots/hot-unplugs/cold-starts to make them appear (almost sounds like a timing / randomness issue??).
  • Next time SSP1/SSP2 appear, I will capture their Power State Properties with no devices connected.
  • But with USB 3.1 Gen 1 Flash drive connected:
    • kPowerStateOff was 0ms (0%)
    • kPowerStateSleep was 0ms (0%)
    • kPowerStateOn was 2xx or 3xx ms
    • kPowerStateSuspended was some large number (in ms)
_INI / PINI Methods
  • Comparing the _INI/PINI methods between our SSDT, Apple's original iMac19,1 SSDT, and Osy86's compiled version, we see that Apple and Osy86 are initializing the device only if !OSDW() (OS not equal to Darwin), but we are initializing the device unconditionally.
  • Will see what happens if this section is commented-out.
    Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 10.30.41 AM.png

Comments on Current Status
  • Because TNODE/TBUS have never appeared when no device is connected, what does this imply?
  • Because TNODE/TBUS appear inconsistently, almost randomly, during warm boots, what does this imply? Timing issue? Random events? Some device state that we're not setting properly?
  • The Apple TB-to-GbE device (with Apple TB3-to-TB2 adapter) got fully materialized two times this morning, and System Information --> PCI indicated that driver was loaded. But the device could not actually connect to Ethernet cable.
    • This "full materialization" also happened randomly, 2 times out of 20-30 boot attempts this morning. So it is not consistent/reliable.
  • Also need to determine why XHC2.PCED is never called. We have no ACPIDebug logs of this. We do not see the following logs:
    Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 10.35.40 AM.png

[This post will continue to update during the day as the test plan evolves.]

Last edited:
(very low priority post)

I've set my Hack to headless platform as mentioned in the guide (imac19,1) , then deactivated the iGPU in BIOS. Now I experienced the known problem of jpegs crashing the perview.app.
Oh no! Do not turn off IGPU in BIOS. Headless mode means this:
  • iGPU must be on.
  • iGPU's "compute units" will be used by macOS, including QuickSync.
  • But iGPU will not drive a display monitor. No DisplayPort or HDMI output.
I swithed my iGPU back on in the BIOS now everything works again, though the iGPU does not show up in System report.
100% normal. To check if iGPU is properly enabled, run IORegistryExplorer and scroll the device tree on left side until you get to IGPU (do NOT use the "Search" field). If the first child node under IGPU is AppleIntelFramebuffer@2, then iGPU is fully active.

In your config.plist, you may now uncheck the following in Kernel and Kext Patches:
  • KernelPM
  • AppleIntelCPUPM
    Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 5.18.13 AM.png
Hi @CaseySJ I'm having an odd issue. My hack is not able to boot into the OS with both KernelPM and AppleIntelCPUPM checked ON. However, MSR 0xE2 CFG Lock is 0x00 (that is, lock disabled) and NVRAM is working fine. What can be causing this? Overclocking perhaps?

Hi @CaseySJ I'm having an odd issue. My hack is not able to boot into the OS with both KernelPM and AppleIntelCPUPM checked ON. However, MSR 0xE2 CFG Lock is 0x00 (that is, lock disabled) and NVRAM is working fine. What can be causing this? Overclocking perhaps?
Hi @nifranza,
  • What version of Clover are you running? If Clover version is not displayed on Clover Boot Menu, you may press F1.
  • Does the system boot with KernelPM enabled, but AppleIntelCPUPM disabled?
  • Does the system boot with KernelPM disabled, but AppleIntelCPUPM enabled?
  • Or both must be enabled?

So who is going to be the first to try Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76) released today?

This update:
  • Optimises gamma handling of low grey levels on Pro Display XDR for SDR workflows when using macOS
  • Improves multi-stream video editing performance for HEVC- and H.264-encoded 4K video on the 16-inch MacBook Pro (2019)

I believe user KGP used these values from a MBP15,1.

Will try this in a moment...

Yes Kgp used this values for Titan Ridge :

Code:
<00 02 ff ff 04 00 03 01 01 00 04 00 05 01 02 00 03 00 03 01 01 00 00 00 03 01 02 00 02 00 01 00>

;)

Last edited:
So who is going to be the first to try Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76) released today?

This update:
  • Optimises gamma handling of low grey levels on Pro Display XDR for SDR workflows when using macOS
  • Improves multi-stream video editing performance for HEVC- and H.264-encoded 4K video on the 16-inch MacBook Pro (2019)
Working good.

Back