Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I made a couple of minor edits to config.plist:
  1. Specified platform ID 0x3E9B0007 explicitly
  2. Changed IntelGFX from "3E9B8086" to "0x3E9B8086"

• Do you have an internal USB Hub at HS13?
  • And Bluetooth is on HS11?

View attachment 383666

Thanks! I'll try it out tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
HS11 are the 4 shared USB2 ports around the built-in WIFI bnc connectors.
It's where I have my keyboard and mouse connected.

HS13 is the internal header that the Fenvi wifi adapter is connected to.
It sounds like you are seeing things exactly the opposite of how I think I have them set up?
Did you confuse the ports or did I do the ssdt wrong?

Thanks for look at this for me. I appreciate you helping me dial things in.

Thanks! I'll try it out tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
HS11 are the 4 shared USB2 ports around the built-in WIFI bnc connectors.
It's where I have my keyboard and mouse connected.

HS13 is the internal header that the Fenvi wifi adapter is connected to.
It sounds like you are seeing things exactly the opposite of how I think I have them set up?
Did you confuse the ports or did I do the ssdt wrong?

Thanks for look at this for me. I appreciate you helping me dial things in.
If HS11 is the USB Hub (4 shared USB ports) then it should be type 0xFF instead of 0x00 (Zero).
If HS13 is the internal header for the Fenvi, then its type should be 0x00 (Zero) instead of 0xFF.

So the settings appear to be reversed. The attached V4 sets:

HS11 to type 0xFF for internal hub
HS13 to type Zero for Fenvi Bluetooth

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC-Z390-Ultra-V4.aml
    503 bytes · Views: 89
Hello. I'm in the middle of a build using very similar specs and I'm running into trouble in the beginning of Phase 2 of the install process. I got through Phase 1 and Clover now shows Boot MacOS from Mojave. When I try, my machine locks up at the text line Start ReadKernelCache before any progress bar in Phase 2 can begin.

20190129_012350 - Copy.jpg

I have tried using the boot arg UseKernelCache=No which leads to the machine freezing up with an apple logo.

20190129_170352 - Copy.jpg

Now I have read earlier in this thread about a similar problem that user hmadoka ran into, where the solution was to rebuild the kernel using a recovery volume in Clover. I don't have that volume in my flash drive and I don't know where to begin on putting it on there.

If it helps, the hardware I'm using is as follows:
  • GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE
  • Intel Core i5-8400
  • Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 580
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C16
  • Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
I'm pretty sure I followed all the instructions correctly. The only difference I can think of is that I have MacOS version 10.14.3 on my drive, not 10.14.2.

Eventually I want to use this computer for Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, and Davinci Resolve. It feels like I'm close to a successful build, but I'm not quite there yet. I'm asking the users here for help now because I don't know where to go from here. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Well... did it again... clean install, and everything went just perfect. Not a single problem during install. Apparently everything working.... thanks again for your patience and help!

Hey @CaseySJ, yesterday after install i did all the steps you wrote on the post-install. On 'Final Steps in Post-Installation' chapter, I did immediately the change to iMac Pro, instead Mac Mini as you mention on your guide. (I did this because on my previous install, I had to do it to solve the preview error). Until here I think all is ok.

But on the part where you say to copy the 4 ACPI patches to CLOVER/ACPI/pathed, I copied the 3 files you created specifically for the Z390 Aorus Xtreme, instead of the ones you have in your guide for the Designare. This is the ones I installed:

- SSDT-DTPG.aml
- SSDT-UIAC-AORUS-EXTREME-Z390
- SSDT-Z390-AORUS-EXTREME-TB3HP-V3

But I noticed that you have a 4th file on that folder, that is 'SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580.aml'

Since it mentions Designaire and RX580, and I have Xtreme and Vega 64 Nitro+ I didn't install it.

But I think that something should be not 100% correct in my system. Please find attached the print-screens. I remember that you said something about this some weeks ago, on my previous installation.

I say this because sleep is still not working, and graphics was running quite hot yesterday (which after a restart became normal again)

A said before, sleep is a minor issue to me, but if it's easy to solve I would love to do it.

As a side note, I should tell you as well that did the Final Cut fix, and did the SoftPowerPlayTable from @jaymonkey

Once again thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-01-31 at 11.24.12.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-31 at 11.24.12.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot 2019-01-31 at 11.26.00.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-31 at 11.26.00.png
    310.2 KB · Views: 80
Someone seems to have cured their black-screen problem on Sapphire Pulse with a VBIOS update. Still waiting for them to respond with details...
Interesting. The weird thing is that I used the Sapphire Pulse to set everything up. Albeit with one monitor and using HDMI.

Hey @CaseySJ, yesterday after install i did all the steps you wrote on the post-install. On 'Final Steps in Post-Installation' chapter, I did immediately the change to iMac Pro, instead Mac Mini as you mention on your guide. (I did this because on my previous install, I had to do it to solve the preview error). Until here I think all is ok.

But on the part where you say to copy the 4 ACPI patches to CLOVER/ACPI/pathed, I copied the 3 files you created specifically for the Z390 Aorus Xtreme, instead of the ones you have in your guide for the Designare. This is the ones I installed:

- SSDT-DTPG.aml
- SSDT-UIAC-AORUS-EXTREME-Z390
- SSDT-Z390-AORUS-EXTREME-TB3HP-V3

But I noticed that you have a 4th file on that folder, that is 'SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580.aml'

Since it mentions Designaire and RX580, and I have Xtreme and Vega 64 Nitro+ I didn't install it.

But I think that something should be not 100% correct in my system. Please find attached the print-screens. I remember that you said something about this some weeks ago, on my previous installation.

I say this because sleep is still not working, and graphics was running quite hot yesterday (which after a restart became normal again)

A said before, sleep is a minor issue to me, but if it's easy to solve I would love to do it.

As a side note, I should tell you as well that did the Final Cut fix, and did the SoftPowerPlayTable from @jaymonkey

Once again thanks in advance
  • You are right about not installing the RX580 SSDT.
  • Your 2nd screenshot shows that the iGPU is not initialized -- it does not have AppleIntelFramebuffer. Even though you selected iMacPro1,1 you should still have a functional iGPU in headless mode.
  • Did you follow the Spoiler called For Final Cut Pro X (FCPX) Users in the Guide?
  • For Vega fan speed problem, see the Spoiler called Vega56 and Vega64 Fan and Crash Solution.

Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 4.08.35 AM.png

Your right it shows as 5K on the system infomation. This is a great monitor and super bright (100& brightness is brighter than any monitor I have ever used). It's just as good as the iMac monitor and seems like a much nicer design than the LG. The base is metal and most of the Monitor is all glass with just the bottom a black textured plastic. It does have a place for the camera but there do not seem to be any dead pixels. It's awesome ! The only downside would be the internal speakers which are not close to an iMac
Even more tempting now -- glad to hear about the build quality (lots of metal and minimum plastic), brightness, and zero bad pixels!

• You are right about not installing the RX580 SSDT.
  • Your 2nd screenshot shows that the iGPU is not initialized -- it does not have AppleIntelFramebuffer. Even though you selected iMacPro1,1 you should still have a functional iGPU in headless mode.
  • Did you follow the Spoiler called For Final Cut Pro X (FCPX) Users in the Guide?
  • For Vega fan speed problem, see the Spoiler called Vega56 and Vega64 Fan and Crash Solution.

View attachment 383757

I have followed and applied the For Final Cut Pro X (FCPX) Users.

I haven't looked yet to Vega56 and Vega64 Fan and Crash Solution. I will take a look into it. Do you think that can solve the IGPU problem of not being initialized?

Thanks

Just wanted to share workarounds for catches that I've got into:
-Format to APFS if installing to nvme drive, otherwise installer won't work after first reboot.
-rx580 had no video output with CMS disabled, had to update bios both in MB and VGA.
Several people are currently reporting problems after first reboot. The Build Guide suggests either "MacOS Extended (Journaled)" or "APFS" but I may have to change this. Can you please answer the following:
  1. Did you install 10.14.3 directly? Or 10.14.2?
  2. I assume you originally formatted your Mojave SSD as MacOS Extended (Journaled). When the system restarted automatically after Phase 1, it encountered a fatal error during boot? Do you remember the error?
  3. But after formatting the Mojave SSD as APFS, installation succeeded?

Hello. I'm in the middle of a build using very similar specs and I'm running into trouble in the beginning of Phase 2 of the install process. I got through Phase 1 and Clover now shows Boot MacOS from Mojave. When I try, my machine locks up at the text line Start ReadKernelCache before any progress bar in Phase 2 can begin.

View attachment 383728

I have tried using the boot arg UseKernelCache=No which leads to the machine freezing up with an apple logo.

View attachment 383729

Now I have read earlier in this thread about a similar problem that user hmadoka ran into, where the solution was to rebuild the kernel using a recovery volume in Clover. I don't have that volume in my flash drive and I don't know where to begin on putting it on there.

If it helps, the hardware I'm using is as follows:
  • GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE
  • Intel Core i5-8400
  • Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 580
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C16
  • Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
I'm pretty sure I followed all the instructions correctly. The only difference I can think of is that I have MacOS version 10.14.3 on my drive, not 10.14.2.

Eventually I want to use this computer for Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, and Davinci Resolve. It feels like I'm close to a successful build, but I'm not quite there yet. I'm asking the users here for help now because I don't know where to go from here. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Please see my post directly above...

Back