Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

You can also try changing audio Layout ID from 16 (hex 0x10) to 7 or 1.

Hackintoshing and experimentation go hand in hand.

It honestly doesn't bother me enough. I replied since I had that type of setup, and you hadn't tested it yet. More info for the pot. I'll give the boot arg a try for the monitor and report back. Thanks!

Hackintoshing and experimentation go hand in hand. So yes, give it a try.

1st reboot was a kernel panic. A second reboot made it back to MacOS, though the resolution look much lower than 3840 x 1600 until I logged in, then it returned to normal.

I can now change input sources and even unplug the displayport cable without losing video upon reconnection! Thanks a ton!

First boot panic:
Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 3.26.56 PM.png

Last edited:
I like you already! No Fake GPU device ID specified in Clover Configurator —> Devices at the top left?

According to your guide I started my installer config.plist with FAKE GPU but removed it in postinstall since I directly went with the latest Mojave.

Are you using SMBIOS iMac19,1? How long did you wait before restarting?

Yes 19,1. I´d say 5-10 Mins.

This is with HDMI connector patch still applied (which is okay)?

Yes.

HDMI hot-plug seems to reactivate the GPU. Do you have a DisplayPort cable and DP-capable monitor? DP should be more reliable.

I have one now, but had non yesterday night when spending countless hours ... :)

With iGPU or with RX 5700 XT GPU?

iGPU is still enabled. Running fine with the 5700XT now.
When you begin the update and the system restarts, do you see an option in Clover Boot Manager entitled Boot macOS Install from Catalina or Boot macOS Install from Catalina - Data? The keyword to look for is Install. You must manually choose that option if it’s not the default.

I will not try again since I did several times with the correct entry in Clover. 10.15.1. is running perfectly fine so I´ll wait for the next stable release.

Yes this is normal. AMD GPUs have fan-stop BIOS. Fans will turn on when temperature reaches 50-60C.

Yes. Learned that.

One more thing:
When I switched from iGPU to the eGPU while doing the Update from Mojave to Catalina I wrote that with the eGPU the Update went through but all of a sudden the fans of the eGPU stopped working. I supposed this was the reason for the black screen and hot plugged back to the iGPU. Meanwhile I dont think that the card stopped working but that was the Catalina eGFX driver kicking in for the first time on logon screen. I still cant explain why I did not get a logon screen, because meanwhile both GPUs give me the logon.

Last edited:
Just finished the installation, so far everything works perfectly. I was having sleep/wake issues previously on the same OS version and I was gonna downgrade to Mojave to see if it fixes the issues, but I'm glad I found this post. The installation was so simple and everything is so much more stable than my previous installation. However, I'll run more tests and report back if there is any issues. Thanks a ton @CaseySJ, truly appreciate everything you've been doing for the Hackintosh community! :headbang:

Hey @CaseySJ, first issue encountered since the installation was done two days ago. I put the machine to sleep before I went to bed, few hours later I woke up to see the Clover Bootloader screen. Have you had any "auto-restart" issue? Do you have any clue what is causing this? Thank you.

There are a few places you can check. IORegistryExplorer (search for igpu) & System Information -> PCI for example. But if you want to see when/how much it's being used, then you'll want to install the Intel Power Gadget. This is how you can see when and how much the integrated graphics is being used.

In the included image it's the green line (GFX) which indicates iGPU usage. For example, if you're running Final Cut Pro and it's opting to use the iGPU, then you'll see the green line spike up.

Also, if the iGPU is not listed in the System Info -> PCI then that doesn't mean it's not installed. I think it only shows there if everything is as expected in your clover config.plist which is in Clover Configurator -> Devices -> Properties.

If it shows within the Intel Power Gadget then it is, for sure, enabled. Otherwise it won't show the GFX values.

Also, note that depending on your SMBIOS the iGPU may not be used. For example iMacPro1,1 doesn't have an iGPU, but I've read on this forum that it can still be enabled using that SMBIOS. iMac19,1 does have an iGPU and is used for encoding/decoding.

In my case, I use iMac19,1 (which allows for Sidecar use within Catalina) but I use shiki values which cause the iGPU to not be used by applications such as FinalCut Pro. There will be some apps which can still take advantage of the iGPU being enabled. VideoProc, for example, will still be able to use the iGPU for HEVC encoding.

Yeah, I'm not seeing the iGPU anywhere, not in PCI, nor am I seeing it in IOregistry. I can give Intel Power Gadget a try. I'm more concerned about using it for encoding/decoding over all else. I'm using iMAC 19,1 because of the iMac Pro 1,1 not having iGPU support. Outside of that everything been working amazingly. I just don't have speakers to test audio. lol

Hey @CaseySJ, first issue encountered since the installation was done two days ago. I put the machine to sleep before I went to bed, few hours later I woke up to see the Clover Bootloader screen. Have you had any "auto-restart" issue? Do you have any clue what is causing this? Thank you.
Hello @kim9988

There have been a number of auto-restart reports in this thread. We typically recommend:
  • Setting Hibernate mode to 0: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
  • Setting Proximity wake to 0: sudo pmset -a proximitywake 0
  • Unchecking Wake for Network Access or Wake for WiFi Access in System Preferences —> Energy Saver.

Yeah, I'm not seeing the iGPU anywhere, not in PCI, nor am I seeing it in IOregistry. I can give Intel Power Gadget a try. I'm more concerned about using it for encoding/decoding over all else. I'm using iMAC 19,1 because of the iMac Pro 1,1 not having iGPU support. Outside of that everything been working amazingly. I just don't have speakers to test audio. lol
Feel free to post the following 3 files:
  • IORegistryExplorer —> File —> Save As...
  • config.plist (you may redact serial numbers from SMBIOS)
  • Screenshot of /Library/Extensions

Back