Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] first build ever - Gigabyte & Corsair 650D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: first build ever - Hackintosh or otherwise

IIRC, the updates to Chameleon/Chimera somewhere along the time line since tonymacx86 wrote the iBoot+MultiBeast Installation Guide removed this RAM restriction. However, I've never tried a 16GB installation, only a 8GB installation. YMMV.

BTW, tonymacx86 has updated the UniBeast Installation Guide. See Simplest Mac OS X Installation Guide

Stork said:
IIRC, the updates to Chameleon/Chimera somewhere along the time line since tonymacx86 wrote the iBoot+MultiBeast Installation Guide removed this RAM restriction. However, I've never tried a 16GB installation, only a 8GB installation. YMMV.

BTW, tonymacx86 has updated the UniBeast Installation Guide. See Simplest Mac OS X Installation Guide

According to my mobo, I should install my RAM in pairs. What these means is that I could use iBoot+MultiBeast with a minimum of 8GB (I bought four 4GB DDR3 sticks). I am not sure if I install only one stick that just one stick will work. Anyhow if this business of building my Hackintosh doesn't work at all, at least I will have the experience of building a PC with Windows 7. It will not go to waste. Thanks.

orestesdd said:
Stork said:

According to my mobo, I should install my RAM in pairs. What these means is that I could use iBoot+MultiBeast with a minimum of 8GB (I bought four 4GB DDR3 sticks). I am not sure if I install only one stick that just one stick will work. Anyhow if this business of building my Hackintosh doesn't work at all, at least I will have the experience of building a PC with Windows 7. It will not go to waste. Thanks.

Start with 2 x 4GB for the SL install and then add the other 2 x 4GB later. MB will work with 1 x 4GB, but performance will suffer big time.

Bobcat86 said:
orestesdd said:
Stork said:

Start with 2 x 4GB for the SL install and then add the other 2 x 4GB later. MB will work with 1 x 4GB, but performance will suffer big time.

This will be my plan for now. I am still waiting for a few things including the PSU. I can start the build as soon as the PSU arrives, but I may wait for other not essential parts. I will decide that some time next week. Thanks.

OK, I don't think any of my fans has LED light, but my case have a very nice clear window. I would like to add some lights to the case, preferably blue. Any advice how to do this. I have seen a few LED fans. Should, for instance, switch the CPU cooler fan with other with LED lights? I don't want to change any of the case own fans. The case comes with a 120 mm fan and two 200 mm fans (one in the front, and other on the top). Any recommendation will be welcome to make the case look cool. Thanks.

Gordo74 and I are sold on the Gelid fans. We like the these in the 120MM size for quiet operations: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426016 However, Gelid has "pretty" lighted fans, too.

But, I think putting lights on the fans is like putting colored neon lights in the wheel wells and the side boards on a car...well, never mind.

Stork said:
Gordo74 and I are sold on the Gelid fans. We like the these in the 120MM size for quiet operations: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426016 However, Gelid has "pretty" lighted fans, too.

But, I think putting lights on the fans is like putting colored neon lights in the wheel wells and the side boards on a car...well, never mind.

I will wait to see if I really need new fans. I cannot even test the fans in the case since my PSU has yet to arrive. I will not put lights in the fans, but I have seen some fans which glow to put into better words. I may like to put some lights on the case to be able to admire the inside of my case better since it will be sitting under my desk just like this which is pretty dark in there.

7379683388_1cf04c7138_m.jpg

The above picture shows where this case will be sitting after I get done with this build for the foreseeable future.

orestesdd said:
OK, I don't think any of my fans has LED light, but my case have a very nice clear window. I would like to add some lights to the case, preferably blue. Any advice how to do this. I have seen a few LED fans. Should, for instance, switch the CPU cooler fan with other with LED lights? I don't want to change any of the case own fans. The case comes with a 120 mm fan and two 200 mm fans (one in the front, and other on the top). Any recommendation will be welcome to make the case look cool. Thanks.

Take a look here:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... 71a5b0d970

More specifically, check out the cold cathode kits. I've personally used them in the past and thought they looked and worked great. They'll proved much better lighting than fans, and you won't need to bother replacing fans you already have.

Take a look around your case and look for some spots you think you could cleverly place some of those cathode bars. Take some measurements and see how long they can be. Then, depending on the lengths, I'd get a couple and install them. The ones I got came with adhesive on each end so it was easy to secure in place. Mine connected to a small box (inverter) which then connected to the PSU. They often come with switches that go in an empty PCI slot, but when I did mine, I modded the front of the case for a rocker switch that I used instead.

Vendetta said:
orestesdd said:

Take a look here:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... 71a5b0d970

More specifically, check out the cold cathode kits. I've personally used them in the past and thought they looked and worked great. They'll proved much better lighting than fans, and you won't need to bother replacing fans you already have.

Take a look around your case and look for some spots you think you could cleverly place some of those cathode bars. Take some measurements and see how long they can be. Then, depending on the lengths, I'd get a couple and install them. The ones I got came with adhesive on each end so it was easy to secure in place. Mine connected to a small box (inverter) which then connected to the PSU. They often come with switches that go in an empty PCI slot, but when I did mine, I modded the front of the case for a rocker switch that I used instead.

This is exactly what I was think this morning. I was planning to buy two bars and hope to install them on the side of the window. Now I need to figure out what size I need. Thanks for pointing this out.

Finally all the parts arrived. I installed already (just inserted) the DVD player, and the AX power supply. Hopefully if I am lucky and don't find any hardware failure, I should finish building a Windows PC first tomorrow. Then, some time this week I will dig in trying to install the Mac OS X SL. I hope everything will go well. I may open another thread to deal with the Mac OS SL installation to deal only with software issues. :thumbup: :wave:

Last pictures before the build:

7398341958_312ea0ca61_m.jpg

7398341764_eb93d60d01_m.jpg

7398341570_747cf98f6b_m.jpg

7398341308_6903dea678_m.jpg

7398341090_45b019032c_m.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back