Contribute
Register

[Success] b1's "Mac Mini Killer" with macOS Mojave: i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM

Hi,
Just one more question. I'm using Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB and Crucial MX500 1TB. Do I need to enable trim for this SSD in terminal using "sudo trimforce enable" ?
Regards,
Ahkeung

Third-party SSD brands usually require a manual activation of Trim (Apple by default only enables for their own disks).

You can check if trim is enabled by clicking the apple icon at the top left of your screen>about this mac>system report>sata/sataexpress. Check if 'TRIM Support' says Yes (enabled) or No (disabled) under your SSD details.

Do I need to enable trim for this SSD in terminal using "sudo trimforce enable" ?

Thanks for this! I forgot all about trim. I just checked in System Report and it said "TRIM support: No" under the disk details under the "SATA/SATA Express" entry (my SSD is a Sam 850 EVO). I fired off the command and it confirmed enabled. Checked again in System Report and it now says "Yes".

Cheers!

Run in this Terminal to see, what kext are Injected:

Code:
sudo kextcache -i /

According to you debug file kextcache_log.txt, only 3 kexts are injected.
the three kexts are in /L/E
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
BrcmPatchRAM2.kext
BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext
All other kexts are in the clover->other folder

Third-party SSD brands usually require a manual activation of Trim (Apple by default only enables for their own disks).

You can check if trim is enabled by clicking the apple icon at the top left of your screen>about this mac>system report>sata/sataexpress. Check if 'TRIM Support' says Yes (enabled) or No (disabled) under your SSD details.

Btw, what SSD are you using? I have two SATA drives and TRIM is disabled. But for my main Samsung SSD 970 EVO, TRIM is enabled by default.

Btw, what SSD are you using? I have two SATA drives and TRIM is disabled. But for my main Samsung SSD 970 EVO, TRIM is enabled by default.

I have the same Samsung M2 drive as yours. I read somewhere that in macOS (or was it just Mojave?), Trim is enabled by default on all NVMe SSD drives.

@b166ar, I was wondering: do you have your iGPU HD 630 listed on about this mac>system report>graphics/displays? I ask this because I can't see it on my hackintosh, even though the integrated graphics is enabled in the BIOS settings. I am under the impression that the system is not properly identifying the HD 630 (perhaps causing some component of graphics acceleration to be disabled). Do you have any idea how can I enable it back? Perhaps I should use system definition iMac18,1 instead of iMac18,3 I am using now?

One more thing: when you turn on your computer, what is the behavior of your Apple loading screen? Mine starts to load the bar, then the monitor goes black for an instant, then my GPU fans spin at full speed for an instant too (like half a second), and then the Apple bar finishes loading and I can see the operating system screen. Does yours do the same?

Last edited:
One more thing: when you turn on your computer, what is the behavior of your Apple loading screen? Mine starts to load the bar, then the monitor goes black for an instant, then my GPU fans spin at full speed for an instant too (like half a second), and then the Apple bar finishes loading and I can see the operating system screen. Does yours do the same?

I got the same symptom about the black screen during load, but not with the full speed GPU fans. The full speed GPU fans is kind of random for my machine mostly before sleep or before wake, I don't know what causing it.

Last edited:
I was wondering: do you have your iGPU HD 630 listed on about this mac>system report>graphics/displays?

I don't.

I am under the impression that the system is not properly identifying the HD 630 (perhaps causing some component of graphics acceleration to be disabled)

Try to run any video with QuickTime and check iGPU usage in Intel Power Gadget. Even when I play Sony Camp 4K Demo.mp4, my CPU is idling, and iGPU load is about 40%. So, iGPU is working fine even if it is not presented in Graphics/Displays tab.

Do you have any idea how can I enable it back?

I never hear that iGPU should be available in Graphics/Displays. And that iGPU not working if it isn't there. So check iGPU utilization with Intel Power Gadget. And if system uses it, don't worry about Graphics/Displays tab.

Perhaps I should use system definition iMac18,1 instead of iMac18,3 I am using now?

High chance that you will break something. iMac 18.1 don't have eternal GPU. I experimented with iMac 18.1, and something was wrong. But I don't remember what exactly.

One more thing: when you turn on your computer, what is the behaviour of your Apple loading screen? Mine starts to load the bar, then the monitor goes black for an instant, then my GPU fans spin at full speed for an instant too (like half a second), and then the Apple bar finishes loading, and I can see the operating system screen. Does yours do the same?

I think it depends on GPU. Short fan peak is normal behaviour. My build act like this:

1. BIOS welcome screen (short fan peak, ~60%)
2. CLOVER screen (~30% almost silent)
3. Apple logo without progress bar (~30%)
4. Typical Login screen with wallpaper (FileVault preboot, ~30%)
5. Apple logo with progress bar (~30%)
6. Dark screen (~15%? silent)
7. Apple logo with progress bar (~15%)
8. Desktop (~15%)

I have HD630 listed when I checked Colver > Graphics > Inject Intel, but when I try connect my monitor with HDMI port on my motherboard then I got a glitched not really visible.

I tried this option yearly today and yes, iGPU is visible in Graphics/Displays tab. But, hardware acceleration doesn't work at all! :) When I play Sony Camp 4K Demo.mp4, I see 50% CPU load and no iGPU load.

Back