Contribute
Register

[Success] Asus Z87 Maximus VI Hero Build - OS X Yosemite (with Chameleon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
17 digit MLB seems to be too difficult to crack...
Hence decided to try 13 digit MLB and 11 digit serial number.

• I chose iMac 11,3 (27-inch Mid 2010) system definition (latest iMac with 11 digit serial number). I chose a serial number (valid but not registered) from an early week of 2011. As far as i know, iMac 11,3 was produced till 17th week of 2011. Serial - W81ww***DB6
  • For MLB week of manufacture, i chose a value one week earlier than serial number. W81ww****DF7Y (EEE code - DF7Y, ww - week of manufacture)
  • For ROM, i chose 6c3e6d****** where the last 6 digits are from my ethernet MAC address.
Avoid letters 'I' and 'O' in serial number as well as MLB. Real Mac serials don't have these values as far as i know.

I noticed two issues with this system definition compared to using iMac 14,2 system definition.
  1. Mouse cursor lag for the initial 30-40 secs after boot. A process named 'Displaypolicyd' runs during that time.
  2. I am not seeing the usual options under Energy Saver in System Preferences. Power management may not be ideal compared to iMac 14,2. But have to compromise for iMessage and FaceTime. In fact, the lowest watt reached (in Intel Power Gadget) is same as before.
Other than these, i didn't notice any issue. Sleep, USB 3.0 work fine.
Had to contact Apple customer care with the customer code. FaceTime and iMessage work fine now.
Although 13 digit MLB will work with iMac 14,2 system definition, I chose iMac 11,3 as Apple may enforce further validation check anytime soon or later. Hope this combo will work longer...

EDIT (July12, 2015):
Regarding the cursor lag problem, it is not there in mavericks but will be there in yosemite with HD4600 graphics when iMac11,3 system definition is used. I solved this problem by adding iMac11,3 Board-ID [Mac-F2238BAE] to info.plist of AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy kext.

Hi there.

Sorry for the graveyard thread bump but I have an almost exact build like yours with the same mother board but with a Devil's Canyon cpu(4690k). I already have my W8.1 installed on my second SSD, and prepared the uniboot USB installer for the hackintosh. I've watched MW Technology's Guide (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSYkUkngdb4) to dual booting Windows and Hackintosh and the guide suggested installing DSDT Free bootloader on the Hackintosh hard drive and setting it as top priority. I was wondering if I need to use this or Chameleon? Do I also still have to pull out my graphics card and put only one stick of ram to get everything smoothly working?

I'm still directly following your guide for it is close to my build.

Macbook Pro:
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB

System Build:
CPU: Intel i5 4690k
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws X 8gb 1866mhz
Graphics: EVGA GTX 770
PSU: Corsair AX650

@ annaheim

I recommend clover bootloader for dual booting. If your win8 installation is UEFI, then chameleon can't boot it, and you need to choose the hard disk by pressing F8 everytime u boot. Moreover, recent versions of chameleon are not working properly (can't inject smbios and read theme) when installed in EFI partition.

No need to remove RAM modules. Only remove usb devices during installation. I can't comment on graphics card. If ur card is not natively supported, then disable it with boot flags.

Thank you so much for replying!

Now I know that this seems to be an obvious question but I was wondering If I could install the Clover EFI bootloader even if I installed Yosemite using Unibeast, or do I have to do Clean reinstall using Clover?

@ annaheim

No need for clean reinstall..
Option is yours..

First install clover to a fat32 formatted flash drive and check if it boots ur existing install properly.
Then u may format EFI to fat32 and install clover in it.

Just don't try to login to FaceTime/imessage till u read fix iMessage guide.

I think I might need to do a reinstall since I opened and tried to signed on iMessage the first time I got Yosemite fully working using unibeast.

Also, I thought, according to the Clover installation you need to install Clover on a Mac Extended(Journaled) partition for it to work?

Just wanted to say thank you for this great guide. Thanks to it, i now have the Mac system I've always wanted, save for some ram, hehe.

Asus Hero VI
i5 4670K @ 4.0Ghz
8 Gigs Corsair Vengeance RAM *For now, will be going higher soon*
Intel 520 series "Cherryville" SSD *Main OS X drive*
160Gig Time Machine Drive *Internal*
1TB WD Green for Media
1TB WD Red for backup of Media / ect
Corsair 750w PSU
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 960 Vid Card
Fractal Designs Define R4 "Silent" case
Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler

Attachments