Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS Z270 ROG Maximus IX Hero - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - Intel HD 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is, but it isn't so easy which is why configuring ports with a Catalina build is recommended.

I would use USBInjectAll along with it's "include" and "exclude" command-lines to map all the ports. First create an SSDT for the HS ports and another for the SS ports, then edit those together. Reboot with the final SSDT-UIAC.aml and export a new USBPorts.kext.

This is okay if you're happy with the process, but that's why the Catalina recommendation is suggested instead.
Given I'm sure I screwed up initially with the SSDT, I don't think I've got the knowledge necessary to do things that way. So back to Catalina...

After putting the OC bootloader on my Catalina disk (Clover would no longer boot that drive, I'm guessing NVRAM? 'sides, OC is better), here is my initial Hackintool USB ports output (USBInjectAll & XHCIPortLimit=TRUE):

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 7.07.48 AM.png

After doing "port discovery" (insert USB2 & USB3 sticks), here is my output:

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 7.18.38 AM.png

To have clarity, please confirm these next steps:

1. delete inactive ports (aside from PXSX controller ports, as those can be ignored).
1a. What about the USR ports?
2. set HS07-10 to USB2 (those are indeed the USB2-only ports).
3. Leave HS14 alone or does it need to be set to "internal"?
4. Delete HS09 & HS10 as those go over the 15 port limit for the XHC controller.
5. Export USBPorts.kext, copy to EFC/OC/kexts, update config.plist and reboot/verify ports were limited.

Thanks!!!

EDIT: I decided to just try it and see what happens; here's the setup I exported:

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 9.36.52 AM.png

EDIT: After rebooting back into Ventura, HS09-13 are back in the list. The other ports that were deleted as per previous screenshot did not reappear. Thoughts on why?

EDIT: Event though they are listed, the ports don't appear to be active - inserting a USB device doesn't update Hackintool's output.

THANKS!!!

Attachments

• USBPorts.kext.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Given I'm sure I screwed up initially with the SSDT, I don't think I've got the knowledge necessary to do things that way. So back to Catalina...

After putting the OC bootloader on my Catalina disk (Clover would no longer boot that drive, I'm guessing NVRAM? 'sides, OC is better), here is my initial Hackintool USB ports output (USBInjectAll & XHCIPortLimit=TRUE):

View attachment 561506

After doing "port discovery" (insert USB2 & USB3 sticks), here is my output:

View attachment 561507

To have clarity, please confirm these next steps:

1. delete inactive ports (aside from PXSX controller ports, as those can be ignored).
1a. What about the USR ports?
2. set HS07-10 to USB2 (those are indeed the USB2-only ports).
3. Leave HS14 alone or does it need to be set to "internal"?
4. Delete HS09 & HS10 as those go over the 15 port limit for the XHC controller.
5. Export USBPorts.kext, copy to EFC/OC/kexts, update config.plist and reboot/verify ports were limited.

Thanks!!!

EDIT: I decided to just try it and see what happens; here's the setup I exported:

View attachment 561512

EDIT: After rebooting back into Ventura, HS09-13 are back in the list. The other ports that were deleted as per previous screenshot did not reappear. Thoughts on why?

EDIT: Event though they are listed, the ports don't appear to be active - inserting a USB device doesn't update Hackintool's output.

THANKS!!!

Well done on your progress. :thumbup:

To update Hackintool's display remember to mouse-click the broom icon in the bottom row, then mouse-click on the circular arrows to refresh the display.

There are still issues in the USBPorts.kext but maybe some are a bug in Hackintool's code when dealing with a second controller. I'm not sure from here.

Anyway - your XHCI controller set-up looks fine.

The PXSX controller is still "awry" but you can indeed ignore those ports. (Personally I would remove their configuration but I can understand you may not wish to meddle any more).

:)

Well done on your progress. :thumbup:

To update Hackintool's display remember to mouse-click the broom icon in the bottom row, then mouse-click on the circular arrows to refresh the display.

There are still issues in the USBPorts.kext but maybe some are a bug in Hackintool's code when dealing with a second controller. I'm not sure from here.

Anyway - your XHCI controller set-up looks fine.

The PXSX controller is still "awry" but you can indeed ignore those ports. (Personally I would remove their configuration but I can understand you may not wish to meddle any more).

:)
Ah, didn't think to use the broom as I thought "refresh" (the arrowed circle) would have done that... broom clicked and voila - only the ports that are in USBPorts.kext are listed. Good enough!

Thanks!!!

Updated the first post to include the USB port re-map.

?: What are the consequences of leaving the PXSX controllers be? What would happen if I do decide to use the either of the ports under those controllers?

I know from previous mapping attempts that the ports are indeed visible to macOS (I plugged my iPhone into the usb-c port and it wanted to download software while I was in Catalina) - but do not know what would happen if I were to continue with them being visible or use them.

?: What are the consequences of leaving the PXSX controllers be? What would happen if I do decide to use the either of the ports under those controllers?

I know from previous mapping attempts that the ports are indeed visible to macOS (I plugged my iPhone into the usb-c port and it wanted to download software while I was in Catalina) - but do not know what would happen if I were to continue with them being visible or use them.

Well that's a bit hard to say ... For example you have HS01 as a USB-C port in the PXSX part of the USBPorts.kext, but the duplicated HS01 in the XHCI part, is a Type-A USB3 port. Clearly it can't be two types of physical port at the same time.

As far as I could see from the Asus support site, the ASMedia add-on only controlled the 2x USB3.1 Gen 2 ports. This would mean the Red Type-A and the Type-C ports under the LAN port on the back panel.

Normally I wouldn't expect those to be HS01 or SS01 because those are usually reserved for Intel ports. However I can't confirm that from here etc.

My thoughts are: If your iPhone syncs and charges okay from the USB-C port then it should be fine.

So Apple makes no controller distinction as part of the port identifier?

Hackintool sees it here, does Apple not see it the same way?

Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 5.03.00 PM.png

And I can see/manage the phone in Finder, and plugging in a USB 2 key into XHC HS01 is recognized as independent as well.

Last edited:
So Apple makes no controller distinction as part of the port identifier?

No. They absolutely do. All third-party controllers are treated as "external" in the same way an add-on PCIe card in a MacPro would be. Ports are enumerated by the OS as it finds them.

Trouble is - this is not Mac hardware. I don't know why you have HS01 present in two places. It's not something I can dig into from this side of the screen.

What you can do is pay attention to the top portion of the Hackintool window - the part you don't include in your screengrabs. There are two lines in there - one for the ASMedia add-on and one for the Intel built-in. There might be the model-number of the ASMedia chipset in there?

As I mentioned before, personally I would remove the ASMedia ports from USBPorts.kext and just let macOS configure them itself. If a common chipset, the ports should just work on their own.

No. They absolutely do. All third-party controllers are treated as "external" in the same way an add-on PCIe card in a MacPro would be. Ports are enumerated by the OS as it finds them.

Trouble is - this is not Mac hardware. I don't know why you have HS01 present in two places. It's not something I can dig into from this side of the screen.

What you can do is pay attention to the top portion of the Hackintool window - the part you don't include in your screengrabs. There are two lines in there - one for the ASMedia add-on and one for the Intel built-in. There might be the model-number of the ASMedia chipset in there?

As I mentioned before, personally I would remove the ASMedia ports from USBPorts.kext and just let macOS configure them itself. If a common chipset, the ports should just work on their own.
Here is the top portion:

Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 5.42.09 PM.png

Is it possible to just remove that portion from USBPorts.kext that relates to the PXSX controller(s) or is there "header" information before it which would make that a stupid thing to do?

Here is the kext plist:

Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 5.46.26 PM.png

It looks like I can just remove the PXSX part...

Here is the top portion:

View attachment 561544

Is it possible to just remove that portion from USBPorts.kext that relates to the PXSX controller(s) or is there "header" information before it which would make that a stupid thing to do?

Here is the kext plist:

View attachment 561545
It looks like I can just remove the PXSX part...

Ah, that's useful.

Yes, you can just remove the PXSX section from USBPorts.kext. Before you do though, just make a back-up of the present one and have a boot-stick handy in case something unforeseen occurs. Always wise. :thumbup:

The ASMedia controller *is* one for which Apple includes drivers.

Sorry I can't test personally, but it will be interesting to hear your results (don't mean to use you as a test-bed! :D).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back