Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS Z270 ROG Maximus IX Hero - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - Intel HD 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course. However, as it is a VM in Parallels, I can't exactly start Windows that way... ;)

Ah...

I use my "Bootcamp" drive when I run Windows virtually.

I started messing around with OpenCore lately. I can create the "Install OSX..." USB drive and it even boots to the USB drive. However, when I get to the OC Boot Menu and select the High Sierra drive (which still has Clover on it) it seems to try to execute the Clover boot loader and all sorts of things go wrong.

Do I need to delete the Clover EFI to test the OC?

If Clover and OpenCore were cars, OpenCore would be the one with manual transmission, no power steering, and no power brakes. Everything has to be done manually. Yes, there's a bit of a learning curve to acquaint yourself with the terminologies used in the config.plist switches, but once you figure that out, it's not too bad.

Because Z170, Z270,. and Z370 are so extremely similar, most of my OpenCore EFI should work for you. Areas where you will probably need to make changes are:
  • config.plist > ACPI > Add
  • config.plist > ACPI > Patches
  • config.plist > DeviceProperties (delete everything I have in mine)
  • config.plist > PlatformInfo > Generic
I think you should be able to leave all the Quirks as-is.
@pastrychef, I can confirm that this approach works for the IX Hero:

I kept the following in the ACPI directory:

SSDT-EC-USBX.aml, SSDT-EC.aml, SSDT-PLUG.aml, SSDT-USB.aml

Didn't change any of the ACPI > Patches

Removed all of the DeviceProperties and added an entry for using the iGPU (https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config.plist/kaby-lake.html#deviceproperties).

Added my PlatformInfo as iMac18,3.

Sleep works. Handoff works. Haven't encountered any problems.

@pastrychef, I can confirm that this approach works for the IX Hero:

I kept the following in the ACPI directory:

SSDT-EC-USBX.aml, SSDT-EC.aml, SSDT-PLUG.aml, SSDT-USB.aml

Didn't change any of the ACPI > Patches

Removed all of the DeviceProperties and added an entry for using the iGPU (https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config.plist/kaby-lake.html#deviceproperties).

Added my PlatformInfo as iMac18,3.

Sleep works. Handoff works. Haven't encountered any problems.

Use either (1) SSDT-EC-USBX or (2) SSDT-EC and SSDT-USBX, not all three at the same time.

Last edited:
I was poking around the Open Core website trying to decide how I should proceed with updating my hack. I’m still using a 1080Ti so I am still on High Sierra.
Then AMD releases the RX 6800 XT. So I began wondering about perhaps just adding this card in my hack when booting to OS X and letting Windows use the 1080Ti. Perhaps at this point I should just use the AMD card as performance is probably better but for the point of this post - I found this little gem on the open core guide:

Attachments

• BDE4ED97-DFDD-4C88-AA1E-F533F9FC87C6.jpeg
    BDE4ED97-DFDD-4C88-AA1E-F533F9FC87C6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
I am trying to get OC working. What I found was a big ol' black screen waiting for me at the end of the boot screen. So I tried again by creating a new clean install on an old SSD. Then I copied the existing OC Folder to the new install (of High Sierra) and it booted just fine. I updated OSX and then added the nVidia drivers and it booted properly with both monitors and acceleration. Great!

The question is:

How can I compare the differences between the fresh install and the existing install so I can hunt for what is causing my video to not show up to work... The machine is booted (I can SSH to it and share files and stuff) but has no video.

Maybe one of these Steps will help you get rid of leftovers from Clover.

There is a Windows-based program that allows you to read Apples HFS drives, if you have a standalone Windows box into which you could plug in those drives. Then you could browse them at your leisure.

Otherwise, I would consider booting into your OC, leaving the previous drive attached, then look at the two drives... My guess is some sort of driver or SSDT that is causing you an issue...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back