Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS Z270 ROG Maximus IX Hero - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - Intel HD 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a Windows-based program that allows you to read Apples HFS drives, if you have a standalone Windows box into which you could plug in those drives. Then you could browse them at your leisure.

Otherwise, I would consider booting into your OC, leaving the previous drive attached, then look at the two drives... My guess is some sort of driver or SSDT that is causing you an issue...
I can still boot the machine by using the Clover boot folder so I can continue to use it while I experiment. Also, It’s easy to remove the drive and mount it on another machine (I have several to choose from) in order to read the drive.

I was looking for a way to examine the Differences between the two OS’s. Like a “diff” command for the OS.

I guess another question to ask is:

What happens if I reinstall HS over an existing HS install? Will my programs still work? Etc...

Yes they should still work since they are tied to your motherboard serial in most cases.
I guess I need to be more clear. I am trying to avoid having to reinstall those applications. I'm pretty sure that they will still work after an app-re-install but I'd rather not go through all that.

My question has more to do with will they CONTINUE to work after an OS-re-install or will I need to also perform an APP-re-install?

I guess I need to be more clear. I am trying to avoid having to reinstall those applications. I'm pretty sure that they will still work after an app-re-install but I'd rather not go through all that.

My question has more to do with will they CONTINUE to work after an OS-re-install or will I need to also perform an APP-re-install?

Hi there.

Yes, they should - if you just re-install macOS at a version number the same as or newer than is already installed, and don't format the drive. The installer usually takes twice as long to run but leaves apps and documents alone. If you format the drive it is a much quicker install and wipes everything - obviously.

The only possible problem is, as @scottkendall points out, if any apps use some special activation method like hidden files or folders. Any apps tied to a serial-number or online activation server should still be fine.

I understood your question and my answer stands.

So I think I figured out what was going on. It seems that OpenCore stores it nVram info very differently than Clover. After testing OC and returning to Clover it never made any difference what the Clover Boot Args were... it seems that OC had overridden them somewhere. I had to boot into OC and use the Clear nVram option BEFORE I could again boot into Clover.

What was preventing my screen from appearing was that BOTH the Clover nVidia options AND OC nVidia options were appearing in my boot args. one long line of boot args. I cleared all that out and deleted all the Clover nVram options (there are several files that need deleting) and made sure that only OC options were showing up and THEN I was able to boot properly in OC.

I am now successfully running a an iMac 18,3 instead of 14,2 and I think I am ready to go to the next step which is getting a video card that will run BigSur. Note that I did NOT need to reinstall anything.

So I think I figured out what was going on. It seems that OpenCore stores it nVram info very differently than Clover. After testing OC and returning to Clover it never made any difference what the Clover Boot Args were... it seems that OC had overridden them somewhere. I had to boot into OC and use the Clear nVram option BEFORE I could again boot into Clover.

What was preventing my screen from appearing was that BOTH the Clover nVidia options AND OC nVidia options were appearing in my boot args. one long line of boot args. I cleared all that out and deleted all the Clover nVram options (there are several files that need deleting) and made sure that only OC options were showing up and THEN I was able to boot properly in OC.

I am now successfully running a an iMac 18,3 instead of 14,2 and I think I am ready to go to the next step which is getting a video card that will run BigSur. Note that I did NOT need to reinstall anything.
OOooo, awesome. What quirks did you end up using, if any at all? That's the part that has me a little confused...

10/20/2020 10.15.7 Supplemental Update

Updated to 10.15.7 Supplemental

1. Back up your system. I use Carbon Copy Cloner. This is SOP when doing updates.
2. Still did NOT update Clover. Clover versions 5123 and beyond utilize a bit of OpenCore - introducing a Quirks section, and I haven't sussed that out for this build.
3. Updated Lilu, WhateverGreen, and AppleALC.
4. Installed the update. System will reboot three times (once to begin install, second time near the beginning of when the installation is in progress, and then a final time that brings you to the login screen) and then you should be good to go. If Clover does not automatically choose the "Installer Data via Preboot", you must choose that on reboots. You may get a black screen after the last reboot that lasts a little longer than usual, so just wait that out and the logon screen will appear.

Update installed without any issues.

OOooo, awesome. What quirks did you end up using, if any at all? That's the part that has me a little confused...
OK, what quirks did I use... I am looking in my config.plist and I noticed that every section has quirks associated with them...

I used the OpenCore guide from Dortania to guide me and I did not deviate from their requested list until today when I added OpenCanopy.efi but then I guess I still followed their guide.

I am using the headless 18,3 system definition since I use that 1080Ti still. I might need to use that 7700K HD630 at sometime when I get a replacement GPU.

I am attaching my OpenCore config.plist with the Sys Def section removed...it's for OC version 0.6.3

Attachments

• config-less-sys-def.plist
    24.3 KB · Views: 46
So... I just noticed that OC (or perhaps the Tomato) might have an issue. I have two main HDs - one for OSX and another for Win10. They both show up in the OC Picker but whenever I choose the Win10 disk Windows starts in the RECOVERY mode. If I ignore OC entirely and use the BIOS to choose the Windows disk directly it will boot normally.

What is OC doing behind the scene keeping Windows from booting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back