Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS Z270 ROG Maximus IX Hero - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - Intel HD 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
14,2 sleep/shutdown works with my test disk which is using the same config file as my main drive. The test disk is a bare OS X 10.13.3 install that I use to test OS upgrades before I commit my main install disk.

If sleep works correctly on a bare OS install then the trouble must reside with my additional mods not with the Sys Def. I am still troubleshooting. Sleep quit working when I moved to High Sierra a few weeks ago. Let me rephrase that, Sleep "works" it just doesn't wake up! It reboots half way through the process... :(

I hesitate to change my Sys Def because I have become accustomed to iMessage working and fear that process of recreating a working collection of numbers (UUID stuff, S/N stuff....)

Thanks for the heads-up about updating all of my kexts @JCMunsonII - I did just that before installing Security Update 2018-001, and apart from me not having Lilu in the right place, so not updating the right one and having a KP, it worked fine. Audio broke. Again. Reinstalled VoodooHD from the package installer and that's back to normal, too. Even seems to have fixed my stuttering issue after a quick test. A brief sleep test worked, too, and I'm still on 14,2. I too can't face setting the iCloud shenanigans up again with a sysdef change, and whilst it's working I'll leave as-is. I feel like I'm more prepared for upgrading to High Sierra in the future now thanks to your run-through again. You're a legend in my eyes!

Interesting thing I noticed today - voice tracks on movies are muted. Hmmm. Wonder if that has anything to do with the VDA decoding...

I have system sounds, and "score" sounds from movies, and other sounds too...

:confused:

I’ve noticed the exact same thing. I put it down to whatever audio codec was used (such as AC3), but maybe you’re right, it could be Voodoo. My stuttering is still there, too. Might be time to really try and fix the AppleHDA issues.

I made some progress yesterday on the sound problem. Removed all traces of Voodoo I could find (except zips, those are fine), restored the AppleHDA.kext, and then did II.2., and got audio devices but no sound output. Still working on the no sound part.

Sound is working correctly now. VoodooHDA does not function well with the current version of High Sierra.

Procedure:

1. Completely remove all VoodooHDA related components, including from any Time Machine or CCC backups (and/or anything the system can directly reference). Reference.
2. Install a restored copy of AppleHDA.kext (put on desktop, using KextBeast to install to S/L/E). Reference. In High Sierra, using Pacifist, you can find AppleHDA.kext in the same directory into which it installs.
3. Undo any changes from previous attempts at getting sound working, if you have done anything.
4. If you have any AppleHDA references in your Clover Config.plist Kexts to Patch section, either remove or disable them (removing is generally recommended).
5. Rebuild cache & restart. All on-board audio references should be missing.
6. CodecCommander.kext, Lilu.kext, and Fake_PCIID.kext were already in place, . I don't know if they are/are not necessary (particularly CodecCommander.kext), but that's what's on my system. I have these in E/C/k/o. Restart if you install these.
7. Use option II.2. from the Audio guide, and ONLY II.2 - NOT 1 or 3. I put AppleALC in E/C/k/o.
8. Restart. You should have audio devices and no sound.
9. Edit your Clover config.plist as per #2, third bullet, in Quick Fix guide. I did not execute the first/second bullets.
10. Restart.

You should have sound.

The only "pop" I have at the moment is during the boot sequence when it initializes the audio. Other than that, working well so far. :)

Hi all,

This is a great and helpful guide and thread. OK I just did a new Hack (IX Code, 7700k, GTX1080 TI) which is working mostly fine, few small jobs to do PM & Sleep mainly. Currently running the latest Sierra as High Sierra KP's from the UniBeast USB, I am sure I will figure out why when I have a bit more free time. Meanwhile will just get the system as close as I can to perfect using Sierra.

Anyway, this is the second Hack I've done the first one I did back in 2011 (which still works great and runs flawlessly), back when I did that system (Asus P67 & 2600k) I had to do a DSDT to get a few things working, and I was using Chameleon, then in 2015 I switched to Clover but left the DSDT in and frankly did notice that Clover made much difference on that system, since then I have to admit I have really just been using it as is without paying much attention to the latest developments. So now with this new Hack I don't have a DSDT, I have not made one and Googling gives me a result of nothing it seems that with 100 / 200 series boards SL / KL CPU's especially Asus boards nobody is using DSDT's anymore, I figure that's because Clover patches the DSDT on the fly, any DSDT overrides you can patch in through injection, is this "guess" correct?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back