Contribute
Register

Stuck at Black Screen After Booting Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please upload the DSDT you edited following that guide so I can take a look at it. Also open DSDTSE and click the "Get" button under "Registry Info" and then File > Save as the ioreg output and upload it also so we can make sure you're adding the DSDT fix to the correct location in the DSDT. If your G5 mod Avatar picture is the system you're trying to get working properly, it looks to me like the Graphics Card is not installed in the PCIe x16 slot that is closest to the CPU. If that is correct, you may have added the DSDT edit to the wrong location.

Dil83

Alright I'll try that. I did try to take my card out and put it in the other slot and it never worked in that one, so I just always kept it in the slot its in now. I just edited the DSDT yet again, I changed the line that had "nVdia GeForce, I took out the nVdia and just kept GeForce to see if that'll work.

I just always thought that having the newest one was better in some way. The rBoot works flawlessly in booting my system with a screen and graphics. It's getting it to work without it is the trick right now. I managed to copy the Extra folder and Extension folder from this new install and pasted over into my old Install on the other Drive, so lets see if I get a KP.

This is incorrect. My understanding is that system definitions have wide reaching effects that are beyond cosmetic (e.g power management, kexts, etc). If rBoot works flawlessly for you, you should really revert back to MacPro3,1. Flawless rBoot operation also suggests that your hardware is in order.

Ok so the DSDT I'm uploading is the one I edited using that tutorial on here. I can't upload the IORegistry to here. Now I am using the rBoot to get into the system right now, without that I can not see my screen at all. I hope this isn't a problem.

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    15.6 KB · Views: 104
This is incorrect. My understanding is that system definitions have wide reaching effects that are beyond cosmetic (e.g power management, kexts, etc). If rBoot works flawlessly for you, you should really revert back to MacPro3,1. Flawless rBoot operation also suggests that your hardware is in order.

Ok I went back to 3.1 doing a restart now. I also uploaded my DSDT that I edited earlier.

Ok so after messing around with this new Fresh Install on the other drive. I've come to the conclusion it's the Graphics Enabler is what screws this all up in the 10.7.4 Update. Like I said I had no problems with 10.7.3 with graphics. I had sound issues but fixed them.

I install my DSDT I edited and take out Graphics Enabler from plist and works without the rBoot cd but no graphics, if I install that Nvdia from the site I get hit with my graphics saying they are 256Mb and that messed me up last time I tried it on the other install. Maybe it was because I was on the System MacPro5.1 I have no clue?

If I use the DSDT from this site and restart, black screen but working graphics as they were a long time ago. I delete graphics enabler from the plist and then I'm at 3mb graphics. Ugh, this is just going around and around in circles.

Ok so the DSDT I'm uploading is the one I edited using that tutorial on here. I can't upload the IORegistry to here. Now I am using the rBoot to get into the system right now, without that I can not see my screen at all. I hope this isn't a problem.

Without your IORegistryExplorer output, I can't be sure where your card is installed. Look through IORegistryExplorer and see where the NVIDIA drivers are being loaded.

For example, here is an ioreg output from a system with an ATI card installed. What's highlighted in Blue is the important information.

attachment.php

Obviously you'll be looking for where the NVIDIA drivers are being loaded, and not the AMD drivers. Let me know where it shows that it is installed, for example this one is at RP04@1C,3

Dil83

Attachments

• IOREG.png
    IOREG.png
    158.6 KB · Views: 895
Last edited by a moderator:
Use the DSDT from the database here, MacPro3,1 system definition, GraphicsEnabler=yes, nvidia drivers update, and try PCIRootUID=0 or PCIRootUID=1.

Have you done all of the above at the same time? Also what does your verbose boot turn up?

Without your IORegistryExplorer output, I can't be sure where your card is installed. Look through IORegistryExplorer and see where the NVIDIA drivers are being loaded.

For example, here is an ioreg output from a system with an ATI card installed. What's highlighted in Blue is the important information.

attachment.php

Obviously you'll be looking for where the NVIDIA drivers are being loaded, and not the AMD drivers. Let me know where it shows that it is installed, for example this one is at RP04@1C,3

Dil83

I'll take a screen shot, I tried uploading what I saved and it said it couldn't upload it for who knows what reasons?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll take a screen shot, I tried uploading what I saved and it said it couldn't upload it for who knows what reasons?

You may need to compress the ioreg file first

Use the DSDT from the database here, MacPro3,1 system definition, GraphicsEnabler=yes, nvidia drivers update, and try PCIRootUID=0 or PCIRootUID=1.

Have you done all of the above at the same time? Also what does your verbose boot turn up?

I have always used the DSDT from this site for my board, it never gave me any problems until I updated to 10.7.4. I've tried PCIrootUID 0 and 1 and that never does anything.

Now I did not install those Nvidia Drivers from the website. I did install them earlier but with a combination of that DSDT I made and all this other mess. I had like 4 things going on at once. I was presented with a KP after that, oh and my graphics changed to 256Mb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back